Should 72 hours be compulsory on camperstops. 🤔 (1 Viewer)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The way things are going, 🙄 more motorhomes more rules on what you can do and where you can do it, 😲 and although more and more camperstops are opening, it's always going to be a problem. 🤔

Just been reading a thread on the Portuguese forum, some members say our country can't afford to send foreigners away, while others argument is 90% are German, 2 are Spanish and the others are French and it will be like that for 6 months, yet the locals some only having a weekend away cannot get in it's full. 🤔

We always try not to upset the locals, I have watched people come looking for a space knowing that I'm going soon, and if a local motorhome comes in 😉 have been known to mention we are going in 5 minutes. 😁

So personally I think if you want to stay all winter in one place use a campsite, I do feel their anger and think it should be max 72 hours, and then everyone gets a crack of the whip. 😎 Bob.

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I do accept all the points that you make, but why use a campsite? To me a camper stop and a campsite are two different things. A stop has minimal services, a campsite is more of a full service: good for some people, but something that I personally don't need and don't want. And don't want to pay for, I rarely enjoy paying for something I don't want.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
😉 Maybe they should rename them camperstays. 😁
I quite agree about paying for something you don't need or want, but as they are clamping down and handing out fines, it would be nice to tour and stop, rather than have to pay for a campsite especially as some have a minimum 3 day booking system, as in France with Aires, the idea is to encourage tourists to visit the town not take up residence for months on end. 😲 Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We know quite a few people who stay on the same aire for 9 months a year the owners are happy because they are full all the time .
One German couple have two pitches the owner is happy because they are paying full price for both pitches

I know what you mean it’s getting harder and harder to get on the popular aires we always have a back up aire just in case we can’t get on.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Brilliant, a post about motorhoming with no Nannies preaching.

We always stick to the timeframe where they are displayed, and agree with bobandjanie that we will try and help our fellows MHs by parking considerately.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Personally I'd suggest either 24 or 48 hrs as a max for a 'stop'.
Anything else is a 'stay' in which case a campsite or other suitable area is where you should be.
If you can come to an agreement with a local farmer or factory owner for longer term parking, then great.

I have no issue with FLT's who keep moving, that surely is the whole point of being a FLT.
But free loaders who want to use the local facilities (be that space, water, loo's or dumps) for much more than an overnight stay should be paying for the privilege.

The only reason locals provide overnight stopping facilities is to boost the local economy.
If you are not in the local pub, restaurant, ice cream parlor, supermarket, castle, or other cultural attractions, on a daily basis, then you should not be using their parking space or facilities.

As an FYI, since the 1970's I have done hundreds of nights of both stealth camping and wild camping over the years, but as far as I can recall I've never spent a second night in the same place.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
In my book timescales are good until you want to pitch and the site is full🤪 This is whether you have long stays or short stays. If a site is popular its always going to be full regardless of 2 day stays or 9 month stays

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Your right so you might have a chance in 3 days 😉 or the next 273 days. 😲🙂 Bob.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
A minimum of one night and a maximum of 3 nights would definitely help in some places especially where you find people there for months leaving no space for others to visit

There is one observation I would add is that German and Dutch travellers seem to travel with enough supplies to last for months and months - whereas we seem to have enough for a few days / a week at the most so need to stop to replenish and sometimes find that we can't stop due to the area being full

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Bob

I was worried your thread title was suggesting a minimum stay of 3 days but apparently not. We are like Brains above as we very rarely doing that, for good reasons: We live in Poland and like to tour France but can only get away for 4 weeks at a time because of Basia's Mother, so we usually do 4 weeks, park-up, fly back and reverse later.

So with 4-5 days getting to/from France our time is limited so a day in each place is normal although we do not go far on travelling days so half a half day for activities.

Geoff

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Yes it's nice to free camp, we do the same but times are changing fast, where we live in Spain they have a 36 hour maximum parking on the roadside, I will admit at the moment some get away with it, and others have just been moved, 😲 but that's because there is not that many here, but in normal times they would be handing out tickets. 🤔 Bob.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Split the space, % for long stay, % for short stay.

I also thought you meant minimum night like C&C, which I dont like
The thread is not referring to any particular country, but we have been to sites in Spain that have turned us away only wanting one night, and even more so if your using the acsi discount card. 🙂 Bob.

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
I have only stayed in aires in two scenarios:
1. I'm driving to Europe and I stop overnight to sleep
2. I'm skiing in winter and the village has no campsite. In which case I stay for a week and then move on.
But why anyone would want to stay on an aire for any length of time is beyond me...no shower or proper toilet facilities and no one policing the van full of (usually)brits being anti-social in the space beside you. Id rather pay more money and be able to relax at a campsite than spend my holiday in a car park!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The time scale in France is enforceable according to a french guy I was talking to it’s not for normal motorhomers it’s for the other sort of traveller give them the time limit and move them on

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have only stayed in aires in two scenarios:
1. I'm driving to Europe and I stop overnight to sleep
2. I'm skiing in winter and the village has no campsite. In which case I stay for a week and then move on.
But why anyone would want to stay on an aire for any length of time is beyond me...no shower or proper toilet facilities and no one policing the van full of (usually)brits being anti-social in the space beside you. Id rather pay more money and be able to relax at a campsite than spend my holiday in a car park!

Your experience of using Aires seems to be limited and so maybe is your experience of on board shower ant toile facilities since your MH is a VW Transporter.

We have a very good shower and our cassette toilet has two cassettes which can last a week. Even if shower and toilet facilities are available we prefer the privacy of our own. Nearly all Aires have service points to empty both toilet and grey water and to top-up with fresh water, so toilet and shower blocks are unnecessary for those with on-board facilities, which the majority of MHs do have.

As for your comment about Aires being just car parks, some are, but that seems to indicate that you have not explored the many Aires which are set in scenic places and often more pleasant views than a lot of campsites. Likewise many wildcamping spots. Also many Aires are located near the centres of small towns or villages and more convenient than campsites, as one can nip out for fresh morning croissants, shopping and visiting interesting places.

Geoff

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
I did have a motorhome before with a shower and toilet. I never used the shower as I didn't want the hassle of cleaning it and I was worried about damp long term. The current van has a toilet, but I try to use only when I don't have a choice. I'm sure some aires are nicer than others. Again depends on what you're looking for....Im looking for proximity to mountains not a bakery or castle.
now Geoff ....don't get me started on the wild camping debate....as a mountaineer....there is no such thing as wild camping in a motorhome......it's called parking without paying 😉

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Having been involved with the construction and day to day running of a camperstop here in Spain, but not now. I totally agree with the original postings,.
My experience was that visitors to these places regard camperstops as cheap campsites, with demands for more and more services, firstly electricity, then toilet, shower, and good wifi connection, what about the breadman calling every morning.....
Of course the owners of camperstops care little about one nighters, as long as their pitches are filled, even giving discounts to encourage such.
It is totally unfair for those who need to break a journey, visit something special, or just have a weekend break, quite selfish to be honest.....but isn't this a common problem just now?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
72 hours sounds fine to us, we rarely stay more than a couple of nights and over 95% of our touring is spent on Aires or wild spots.
Thats the problem with Portugal now as they have stopped all wildcamping.

I think its a bad move and one that will backfire and cost them in the long run.

Its certainly made me think that i probably wont be back.

What Aires there are will now be packed like sardines and thats just not my thing.

And i expect there to be many vans of all nationalities that will do the same and now go elsewhere.

There's probably the same amount of MH that wildcamp in Spain and Portugal as the amount that use paid aires and sites

Trying to then fit them all on the authorised sites means more people in one place ....somethings gotta give

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back