Should 72 hours be compulsory on camperstops. šŸ¤” (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I did have a motorhome before with a shower and toilet. I never used the shower as I didn't want the hassle of cleaning it and I was worried about damp long term. The current van has a toilet, but I try to use only when I don't have a choice. I'm sure some aires are nicer than others. Again depends on what you're looking for....Im looking for proximity to mountains not a bakery or castle.
now Geoff ....don't get me started on the wild camping debate....as a mountaineer....there is no such thing as wild camping in a motorhome......it's called parking without paying šŸ˜‰
This is 2021 wildcamping in a motorhome is a thing and has been for many years.

Like everything in life times change and the old use of the word meaning a tent is no longer the only use of the word

Wildcamping means offsite camping in whatever vessel you choose.

Everyone in the world is now fully aware of this new meaning.

Tent camping these days is now in the minority....hence more and more people sleeping in vans and estate cars with beds in the back.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thats the problem with Portugal now as they have stopped all wildcamping.

I think its a bad move and one that will backfire and cost them in the long run.

Its certainly made me think that i probably wont be back.

What Aires there are will now be packed like sardines and thats just not my thing.

And i expect there to be many vans of all nationalities that will do the same and now go elsewhere.

There's probably the same amount of MH that wildcamp in Spain and Portugal as the amount that use paid aires and sites

Trying to then fit them all on the authorised sites means more people in one place ....somethings gotta give
I can see the building of more Camperstops to try to meet demand....they don't have to be all full facility.....just a way to provide the wildcamping visitors with a low cost alternative....
It's quite a long process to get all permissions in place, but near where we live a new camperstop has been opened....this appears to have put a stop to the parking up on nearby streets.....it also gives the Police an added response when the argument stating "There is nowhere to go officer"
We wildpark in Iberia...but now have become more reluctant to do so....

JJ

MƔgica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Yes really there is no point in quoting part of someone's post to suit your own agenda.

No point?

In reality, ALL off-site motorhoming has not been "stopped" in Portugal.

Indeed, I spent several nights off-site only last week and will be spending many more in the very near future.

Agenda?

What agenda?

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I think there should be a max time for staying on an Aire.
We stick to the times and i think 72 hours is plenty long enough, it gives a others a chance to enjoy the area/town etc.!
Unenforceable in most instances imo. There are more Aires springing up in Spain that are monitored by the local authorities which is good for most, however the long stayers ignore everything almost to the point of annoyance which sometimes leads to closure. We prefer to freecamp by finding out of the way places for a maximum of 2 nights then move on using sites and camperstops when the laundry basket is full. However we don't follow the herd because these places end up looking like a travellers site. I don't object to paying for a service if I use it.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Are we talking about free aires or paying aires .

Because if we are talking about paying aires the owners have invested a lot of money and I canā€™t blame them for wanting all the pitches occupied

Free aires are different there should be a time limit and most of them do Iā€™m not sure. anyone takes any notice we do .

Wild camping there are no rules

Too many motorhomes and not enough places .

10 years ago we never even thought about not getting in a aire but itā€™s different now and you always have to take that into consideration if we are going to a popular aire we always try and get there around 10 ish just as everyone is leaving

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Controversial but I believe there should be a ban on trailers on a Aire with limited spaces.
Not controversial at all in my book, sadly the French are the worst offenders, We ve seen lots of squabbles about trailers on aires, this July pulled into Le Crotoy, and was astounded that one on a coveted front pitch had got his Rib trailer on the adjacent space.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
No point?

In reality, ALL off-site motorhoming has not been "stopped" in Portugal.

Indeed, I spent several nights off-site only last week and will be spending many more in the very near future.

Agenda?

What agenda?

YawnšŸ¤­ or as the kid's say whatever

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
YawnšŸ¤­ or as the kid's say whatever
You are one to talk Tam, have you looked up the law where you are now?

Although in a slightly sarcastic way all JJ is saying although against the law providing you are not silly about it you can still do it without a problem.
Just like you are doing at the moment.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I can understand camperstops wanting to be full, but I think like our apartment they have to be registered and rules would be applied, but what they would be I don't know, and probably being ignored, here in Javea under normal circumstances both sites would be full, this will slightly reduced as from tomorrow, but even if they only had 50 motorhomes free parking that's a couple of camperstops needed, but then it would encourage people that normally go on the sites because the cost is less, so you still have people with nowhere to go, so something needs to be done. šŸ¤”
If they had a time limit there would be a constant group touring Spain or wherever, and hopefully one day enough camperstops and everyone would be able to stop, without that all the prime one would remain full. šŸ¤”

Bob.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sarcastic?

Moi?

Lol

A post stated all off-site motorhoming in Portugal has been stopped.

I merely pointed out that, in reality, it hasn't.

Apparently I have an agenda...

Thats actually not what i said desoite you quoting what i said you still cant repeat what i actually said.

My response was also in reply to Lenny HB post so wasn't really anything to do with you. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

But if you are going to quote someone then quote them correctly or dont waste theirs or anyone elses time.

JJ

MƔgica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thats actually not what i said desoite you quoting what i said you still cant repeat what i actually said.

My response was also in reply to Lenny HB post so wasn't really anything to do with you. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

But if you are going to quote someone then quote them correctly or dont waste theirs or anyone elses time.

I quoted you exactly...

You wrote it...

For GOODNESS sake.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I quoted you exactly...

You wrote it...

For GOODNESS sake.

Sarcastic?

Moi?

Lol

A post stated all off-site motorhoming in Portugal has been stopped.

I merely pointed out that, in reality, it hasn't.

Apparently I have an agenda...

Show me where i wrote " all of site motorhoming in Portugal has been stopped"

You cant because i never wrote those words

So no you did not quote me exactly

What you did was quote 1 part of a sentence out of a complete post replying to someone else ...added your own nonsense and claimed you quoted what i said

You didn't ...

Now stop wasting my time

JJ

MƔgica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

I think its a bad move and one that will backfire and cost them in the long run.

What Aires there are will now be packed like sardines and thats just not my thing.

And i expect there to

Last edited:

JJ

MƔgica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

And i expect there to be many vans of all nationalities that will do the same and now go elsewhere.

There's probably the same amount of MH that wildcamp in Spain and Portugal as the amount that use paid aires and sites

Trying to then fit them all on the authorised sites means more people in one place ....somethings gotta
You asked me to show you so here it is... highlighted for clarity.

Last edited:

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
There are an awful lot of posts on this thread containing the word "should" applied to other people ā˜¹ļø

Apr 15, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
PILOTE 650 E
Exp
A minimum of one night and a maximum of 3 nights would definitely help in some places especially where you find people there for months leaving no space for others to visit

There is one observation I would add is that German and Dutch travellers seem to travel with enough supplies to last for months and months - whereas we seem to have enough for a few days / a week at the most so need to stop to replenish and sometimes find that we can't stop due to the area being full
An unfair generalisation about fellow motorhomers who are German and Dutch.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You asked me to show you so here it is... highlighted for clarity.

Sorry i assumed you could read šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø that clearly does not say " all offsite camping was stopped" which is what you claimed i said.

Im just ignoring any further replies for my own sanity.

JJ

MƔgica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sorry i assumed you could read šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø that clearly does not say " all offsite camping was stopped" which is what you claimed i said.

Im just ignoring any further replies for my own sanity.
So my use of "off-site" instead of "wild" is all you have to support your sad "point scoring" attempt.

Just in case anyone is actually interested... as I posted... IN REALITY, all "wild camping" (I prefer to call it "off-site camping") in Portugal has NOT been stopped.

Motorhomes still overnight at places that are not "official" sites (and often more than one night) in this wonderful country.

This information is not based on any article written in any "newspaper" aimed at Brit expats but actually by experiencing it myself and knowing friends who are doing it too... now.

This should be the end of my contribution to the thread as Mr Northernraider has finished his effort.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I see why this Forum is called Fun.....some adults behaving like kids having a scrap....resorting to pulling hair and scratching..... don't ever pick a fight with me....my dad's bigger than your dad....

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
This is 2021 wildcamping in a motorhome is a thing and has been for many years.

Like everything in life times change and the old use of the word meaning a tent is no longer the only use of the word

Wildcamping means offsite camping in whatever vessel you choose.

Everyone in the world is now fully aware of this new meaning.

Tent camping these days is now in the minority....hence more and more people sleeping in vans and estate cars with beds in the back.
Dictionary definition
noun
noun: camping
the activity of spending a holiday living in a tent.

Anything else isn't camping, wild or otherwise.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Dictionary definition
noun
noun: camping
the activity of spending a holiday living in a tent.

Anything else isn't camping, wild or otherwise.

You've not seen many funsters camping in their MHs then ... they can definitely be WILD!

Seriously though wild camping is now well recognised as a 'generic' term which can be applied to those who are stopping overnight NOT in a designated place such as an aire, campsite etc, this can be it in a car, motorhome, tent etc.

An unfair generalisation about fellow motorhomers who are German and Dutch.
True ... I should be included in that figure as well! :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back