Shengen Visa, do I need one? (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Will I need a Shengen Visa to enter anywhere in Europe? France, Spain and Portugal in particular. What other changes are now known? International Driving Licence, Green Card etc. Is there anything else I should know that I may have missed? After travelling in and around Europe for the last 60 years, I am now getting out of touch (Thanks Boris).

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Take look through the list rosalan of about the first 10 pages of the ‘Whats New’ column of the forum & you will probably get all your questions answered and more. It’s all been well discussed which is good & easy to follow. 😊
THIS is a helpful one to start with currently on page 13
and ANOTHER here

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Will I need a Shengen Visa to enter anywhere in Europe? France, Spain and Portugal in particular. What other changes are now known? International Driving Licence, Green Card etc. Is there anything else I should know that I may have missed? After travelling in and around Europe for the last 60 years, I am now getting out of touch (Thanks Boris).
Nothing to do with Boris,,Blame Cameron ,,he gave us the Referendum.BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not yet, they are planning to bring in a visa waver scheme like the states by the end of 2022. If will be all done online, I think something like €7 for 3 years has been mentioned.

Also it's just been announced that Green cards are no longer required for your vehicle insurance.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Not yet, they are planning to bring in a visa waver scheme like the states by the end of 2022. If will be all done online, I think something like €7 for 3 years has been mentioned.

Also it's just been announced that Green cards are no longer required for your vehicle insurance.
Has the green card change happened I thought it was a proposal at the moment.

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Has the green card change happened I thought it was a proposal at the moment.
I think it has been approved but there is a 20 days Notice Period before it can be implemented.

Steve

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I have read all the entries regarding this thread and remain totally confused regarding what documentation is required now and how long it is possible to stay, hassle free, in France and Spain. I am guessing the popular answer is 90 days and "get out!"
As for leaving Shengen and visiting any other country (Croatia, Morocco etc) and perhaps having your passport stamped, I am inclined to see financial burdens threatening to impose themselves on a relaxing visit.
It seems they may have abandoned Green Cards, or are about to, international driving Licences not required, GHIC cards advisable and many decisions still rather fluid. ****** Brexit!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I have read all the entries regarding this thread and remain totally confused regarding what documentation is required now and how long it is possible to stay, hassle free, in France and Spain. I am guessing the popular answer is 90 days and "get out!"
As for leaving Shengen and visiting any other country (Croatia, Morocco etc) and perhaps having your passport stamped, I am inclined to see financial burdens threatening to impose themselves on a relaxing visit.
It seems they may have abandoned Green Cards, or are about to, international driving Licences not required, GHIC cards advisable and many decisions still rather fluid. ****** Brexit!
And the “ On my honour “ statement for the FFrench.

DUE SOUTH

Free Member
Sep 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680G
Exp

Hi Lenny

this is really interesting. Could you please point me towards where I can research this further (couldn’t find anything with the usual google search). I am looking into obtaining a Portuguese passport by investment just to give me freedom of movement in the EU and the visa waiver scheme you mentioned would save me having to this.

Thanks

Oliver.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Lenny

this is really interesting. Could you please point me towards where I can research this further (couldn’t find anything with the usual google search). I am looking into obtaining a Portuguese passport by investment just to give me freedom of movement in the EU and the visa waiver scheme you mentioned would save me having to this.

Thanks

Oliver.

From next year you will need one to enter the EU, it won't effect the 90 in 180 rule if that is what you were thinking.

Deleted User

From next year you will need one to enter the EU, it won't effect the 90 in 180 rule if that is what you were thinking.

From your link the status of UK citizens in relation to ETIAS was not settled as of March 2020, have their been new decisions?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi Lenny

Thanks

Oliver.
How does the passport by investment work?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hi Lenny

Thanks

Oliver.
Yes as said it does not alter the fact that you will still only be allowed 90 in any 180 days.

Deleted User
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
If you are lucky enough to have a a partner who has a passport of a EU country then the 90 in 180 day rule does not apply to you, also you can register in any EU as a permanent resident in that case without any hassle, and you will them enjoy that status for life. But I take it that most British folk with a partner who carries a passport from an EU country know this already ?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
If you are lucky enough to have a a partner who has a passport of a EU country then the 90 in 180 day rule does not apply to you, also you can register in any EU as a permanent resident in that case without any hassle, and you will them enjoy that status for life. But I take it that most British folk with a partner who carries a passport from an EU country know this already ?
Yup indeed which is why I am 6 months away from a French passport ! Not an easy process and will have taken 3 years in total but does allow us to travel freely .

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
If your partner is from an EU country then you can keep your British nationality and passport, it gives you the afore mentioned rights without having to take on your partners nationality.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I wonder how ETIAS will be applied to UK citizens who are resident of a Schengen state.
It does not apply to them in as they have already provided the same informtion to be in receipt of the residents permit . I have posted the link before stating it . With the new TIE card you can travel inside schengen using the card alone & with out any passport.

Deleted User
It does not apply to them in as they have already provided the same informtion to be in receipt of the residents permit . I have posted the link before stating it . With the new TIE card you can travel inside schengen using the card alone & with out any passport.

I have found a link to a site that states that I will not need one to enter my country of residence which implies to me that I will need one when entering another Schengen country from the UK.

"EU countries which require you and your family to apply for a new residence status will, when conferring your new residence status, issue you with a biometric residence card, similar to residence cards issued to other non-EU nationals residing in the EU.

This card shows you enjoy the rights defined in the Withdrawal Agreement and your right to enter your EU host country. You and your family members will be exempt from ETIAS and visa requirements when entering your EU host country."

From https://europa.eu/youreurope/citize...rights/uk-nationals-living-in-eu/index_en.htm

But then I found this question and answer

"I am a citizen of one the countries listed in ETIAS but I hold a long term permission to stay in one of the Schengen member states, do I need an ETIAS whenever I re-enter the Schengen Area?​

No as long as your permission is still valid at the time of entry."

From https://www.etiaseurope.eu/questions/

I think the latter may be more reliable!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back