Service History - does it mean anything? (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Never really bothered with 'Service History'........if an MOT is only really good for the day it passes how can the 'history' matter. It seems so easy to make up.

Was the cambelt changed?.........properly ? - service - was the gearbox level checked?..........etc

I do all these when I buy - then I know the 'History'

Motorhomes, if anything, mostly are under-used and that is a real problem - low mileage, old tyres, seized brakes...........

My 26 year old Eriba is for sale.

Someone asked if I had the Service History (I'd listed what had been done in the 3 years of ownership, including cambelt change) - I didn't reply - I felt like saying that the parchment it was written on had crumbled away...........

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
The only time Service History is important is for a dealer. If he's selling, it adds another grand to the price. If he's buying its not worth the paper its written on. Sometimes people with no knowledge of mechanics trust the service history as being an assurance of good quality believing that the vehicle has been well looked after. I take it with a pinch of salt and judge the vehicle by what I see.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We bought a wee Autosleeper in February & it came with a wad of paperwork including a full service history which I viewed with suspicion. The last hab service was carried out in October, now to the real stuff. The fridge wouldn't work on gas & had a gas leak! The heating was extremely reluctant to start too.
The windscreen washers were knackered, tyres cracked to hell & over ten years old!

So in essence the service history was pointless & proved to be lies & useless. Good job we bought it as a project.

As has already been said by @mushy, take it with a pinch of salt.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Yes it does, but depends on what's being serviced and how. With the Motorhome I get it serviced but it's really just oil and filter for now and doesn't cost a great deal more than doing it myself. With my bikes, self serviced, I list exactly what's been done, date/mileage and receipts to show quality of the items used all written on downloaded service sheets.
I would want to see proof of a cam belt being changed at the right mileage, time and the right product or change it on purchase.
No proof of regular oil changes would result in no purchase by me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
You can buy 'Service History' on Ebay.............:(

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
A stamped book isn't proof of service history on it's own. I once bought a Discovery with a nice book of service history, around 7 or 8 stamps, when I checked with the Landrover main dealer, which I should have done before purchase, they had a record of the first three stamps then nothing. It had been falsified.
The invoices are the proof, but now I would still look at the book and contact the dealer to see if they have it on record.
I got my money back and they got a prosecution, the business closed down.
I would happily buy a vehicle from someone that dose what @Badknee does, keeping all the receipts.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I got nothing after my Fiat warranty work was completed. I was told that all the paperwork goes to Fiat to support their claim. Seems more like it's done to conceal the faults. Was not even allowed a copy.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
There can be an advantage in keeping records of work done and parts supplied; for yourself. Memory and time play tricks and the component that only recently needed replacing were actually replaced several years ago. If you keep a vehicle long enough, you will have records of when timing belts need replacing. Finally, something I have never done, keep a record of the date each tyre was replaced as they actually have a warranty period.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
If anybody wants to fiddle their service history , buy a Stamp and a ink pad , us we service our Volvo XC60 car ourselves , write in the Service book when and what service we have done , and we know how to reset the Service instrument panel , we don't stamp the book, I know by the time we sell it the car will not be worth a lot, but I do have the MOT done by a Volvo Dealer as they know better than me, their weaknesses on a Volvo, ( and I trained the Volvo Forman ! ) cost no more than any other garage.
Motor home ,under warranty will be done by garage unfortunately, having owned a Garage I now know what it's like to be on the other side of the Reception Counter, can't say I like it !!
Tony A

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
I bought my van new in 2004 and it has been serviced ever since by a Fiat main dealer, I have kept all receipts etc. I am sure you could go along to the main dealer and check on its history on their computer system not something you could do if several garages or DIY has been involved. But as has been said its not just the service history that matters its how you have looked after and driven it yourself that shows more

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I have never had a dealer look at the service book check MOT's or the sheaf of invoices when I have traded in a vehicle.

But for me service stamps for first three years are great and then on the fourth year not worth anything.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I take no notice whatsoever of a stamped service book unless it is accompanied with a file of receipts for parts used. This is one reason I like to buy my motorhomes from Germany. They always come with a huge pile of receipts for parts used. I was once told, it would be almost impossible to sell a vehicle in Germany without proof of service by which I mean receipts and full service history from day one.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Yes it does, but depends on what's being serviced and how. With the Motorhome I get it serviced but it's really just oil and filter for now and doesn't cost a great deal more than doing it myself. With my bikes, self serviced, I list exactly what's been done, date/mileage and receipts to show quality of the items used all written on downloaded service sheets.
I would want to see proof of a cam belt being changed at the right mileage, time and the right product or change it on purchase.
No proof of regular oil changes would result in no purchase by me.

With the uttermost respect to you guys..It has been proven through the programme ' Fake Britain' that even cam belt changes can be proved to have been done , when in fact ...they are not! Just because you get a bill stating its replacement and a mileage logged, does not mean it has been done! How would you go about proving it? Unless you ask for the cover to be left off for your inspection before it is replaced...You would actually never know! That is fact.
There are a large number of garages out there who have been proven to be rogues with some of their practices!

We were told about the service history farce by a executive from Jaguar in Tamworth upon our purchase of a Second hand Sovereign we had just made many moons ago! He said that the service book would be stamped by the dealership to acknowledge the fact ..A) It had been inside their works and had some work done. He said quite clearly that ..although it had been stamped....It only covered the work the owner wanted doing and not all the work that needed doing! So does a service history stamped book mean anything? .........NO!
If you have owned a vehicle from day one and you have kept the receipts etc for all you have had done whilst it was in your care...That then would be the best thing you could have done to prove its history.
Seriously...A current Mot and a full service with its receipt...would tell you its present condition . That is as good as it gets.

Kev

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Service history is nice to see but as others say is it worth the paper it is written on.

If buying vehicle pay what you are willing to and make allowance to then get oil + filters done also do full timing belt kit and waterpump if needed may put £500-£600 on cost of vehicle but at least you have peace of mind and know that it has been done

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think its part of what you judge when buying a m/h if buying privately. Its like asking the owner about where stuff is what they have modified etc . just because it can be made up doesn't mean its worthless just not totally reliable.

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
When we traded our last caravan in for our first motorhome the dealer asked us to bring in all the service history but on the day when we traded up was told that they didn't want all the receipts that we had kept so it makes a bit of a mockery for the whole system.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
My last 2 vans had service history and stamped up the last one had belt done but job was not done with care as timing belt tensioner pulley nut came off driving down road could of been very expensive fortunately spotted pulley cutting through belt cover garage had to redo job with all new parts.

Van now has very slight leak on gearbox which hopefully i have sorted now

I always have quick check round van now after reasonable run oil + water takes 5 mins

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Let me put lke this, my Merc car came with a full Merc history from a main dealer it was accompanied by invoices for all services and for work done and a full printout from Merc of the car history. Milage was easily checked by going through the documents, it was presented in immaculate condition inside and out with not a blemish anywhere. The car came with 12 months warranty, and a care package that is second to none in case of breakdown which includes recovery,a replacement car, hotel expensed etc etc. For me it was a confident purchase that had lived up to expectations. I would not buy any vehicle blind.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Service history with invoices is better than no service history or a stamped book. Then you need to do all your own examinations and research, HPI, MOTs etc

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
............you can buy just about anything............(n)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Trading in our vans over the years have shown dealers laid back over history,milage and accessories .They just want to deal.
We were always buying new.This time it was a second hand,2.5 year old Hymer with vague history from dealer.For peace of mind I had had a Merc service .All good but now also covered for breakdowns Europewide up to 30 years if keep Merc service schedule.

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The thought of expensive damp issues mean I will do the habitation and damp test to the required schedule untill the damp warranty ends at 6 years.Just booked in for the service and have been requested to confirm IF I want the underfloor spray carried out also.Never heard of this underfloor requirement to keep damp warranty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back