Selling to a trader (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
We are having to sell our van,so the weekend i went online & filled in various online forms to get a price all ok there,
had a phone call from a chap says hes from northern motorhomes wants to come & look to buy, tell him how much
i would be happy with , i sent him some photos. All good coming on Thurs will transfer money while he is here.

As anybody sold there motorhome this way , to a motorhome trader, i have sold a few privately , where they have come & look , we have done
a deal, then they have come back transferred money & driven away.

Perhaps this is how the buyers work.???

Karl

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Call me a cynic but some try to negotiate the price when they arrive.

If it's this guy he says he can make payment by other means.

How will I be paid for my motorhome?

On collection of your motorhome, we will bank transfer all money direct to your bank account. In certain circumstances, we can, by prior arrangement, organise alternative payment arrangements, including cash or cheque.

Last edited:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Money transfer is quite normal in these modern times, a couple of things you can do is make sure you know who you are dealing with and insist on payment during banking hours so you can ring your bank to check funds have arrived.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I sold a caravan to a trader in exactly that way. He quoted over the phone, inspected the van and transferred the money on line whilst I watched it arrive in my bank. ( laptop & mobile internet) It worked.
I did transfer the money straight away to another account in case there was a possibility to reverse the transaction. Not sure if he could have done it but safety first.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I always preferred to do the deal and pay same day, even taking the seller to the bank to witness and confirm the payment. More than once in cash as they didn't trust bank transfers. I took a driver with me so we could return to base with both vehicles. So long as the evidence of who both parties are is clear and confirmed, there is little risk so long as you are sensible

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I sold one just like that a few months ago, no problems, money in bank, two payments actually as there is a limit on fast track payments.
Guy attached is car via a frame to MH tow bar and off he went.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I realise we are all different and some people don't like selling things privately and I obviously don't know how desperate you are to sell but if your selling to a dealer you are giving money away because he is selling it on at a profit id guess about a grand and that could be in your bank and not his

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I realise we are all different and some people don't like selling things privately and I obviously don't know how desperate you are to sell but if your selling to a dealer you are giving money away because he is selling it on at a profit id guess about a grand and that could be in your bank and not his
But if you can't offer finance you could be waiting along time for a cash buyer.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
A grand on what value of van?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Did you get what you advertised it on here for?

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp

Yes i realize that, would normally sell privately (have put advert in classifieds) but i don't have time now, my storage facility as just got worst & worst cant get in or out , its become a junk yard full of cars !!!!!!!. its now due for renewal ( i thought we could extend monthly because of covid) we can't.

also can't park at home now , not even to wash it its too long !!!!, everybody seems to have fours cars with off road parking for two.

Will sell now & probably go smaller again to keep on drive.

Thanks for all the replies , i feel better now knowing its normal.

Karl

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Call me a cynic but some try to negotiate the price when they arrive.

If it's this guy he says he can make payment by other means.

How will I be paid for my motorhome?

On collection of your motorhome, we will bank transfer all money direct to your bank account. In certain circumstances, we can, by prior arrangement, organise alternative payment arrangements, including cash or cheque.
He sells on Facebook and Ebay. Company address is a private house.

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Did you get what you advertised it on here for?
sort of i have removed all the extras (galslow, tvs , inverter etc) i can to offset but i think its a good offer assuming he doesn't try reducing the fiqure agreed.

I leave it on here till it actually goes.

Karl

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
My point was that you might have sold it on here or elsewhere if the price was the same as you have been offered by the dealer. To be honest it doesn't matter who buys it if you get what you are happy to accept....

Hope it all goes well and I'm sure it will !!

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
One came to me and tried damn hard to find fault, damp etc.
I had my own damp meter and proved him wrong (right next to the toilet for gods sake)
various things, he did all the usual tricks on the phone to the boss, got the train down for nothing etc.
I told him bye bye with his offer of 14k even though he knew what i was looking for on the telephone

I sold it for 19k 2 weeks later

Im all for them making money but he was an arse

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I sold to camperbuyer.com made me an offer on the phone, came, looked, no haggle no bartering. Made the transfer and drove away. Really professional people I thought.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Most banks have phone apps, so youcan see it arriving.
As previously said, when funds arrive, just transfer to another account.

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Pity your not closer. I could of offered temp storage

Thank you for the offer , but finding storage within a small radius at a reasonable cost is quite difficult.Its a shame we have to move really.There are about 10 owners all in the same situation.

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I sold to camperbuyer.com made me an offer on the phone, came, looked, no haggle no bartering. Made the transfer and drove away. Really professional people I thought.
I did have an offer from them but much less than i want.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can't remember who bought my friends van but it was dealer offered him a good price came down to have a look and didn't haggle. About 4k more than he was offered as a trade in and couple of k less than what he might have got on a private sale.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
makes me realise just how lucky we are to be able to park our motorhome at our home - when we discuss selling up and moving, its one thing we always include in our conversation .....

we must be able to park a motorhome safely and securely, without it taking all the garden/drive up !!

good luck with the sale and finding a new place to park your new motorhome ??????

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
We are having to sell our van,so the weekend i went online & filled in various online forms to get a price all ok there,
had a phone call from a chap says hes from northern motorhomes wants to come & look to buy, tell him how much
i would be happy with , i sent him some photos. All good coming on Thurs will transfer money while he is here.

As anybody sold there motorhome this way , to a motorhome trader, i have sold a few privately , where they have come & look , we have done
a deal, then they have come back transferred money & driven away.

Perhaps this is how the buyers work.???

Karl
Hi sold our autotrail to Somerset motorhomes ,sent some photos and told them about damp and faults agreed price on phone they came to collect 3 days later and transferred the money when they arrived ,and this was 3 days before Xmas

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I sold my motorbike to webuyanybike.com.

They sent me an offer via email. I rang a few dealers and had some offers but webuyanybike gave me £500 more than the dealers.
They turned up, I asked for id, he checked the bike over, and sorted the payment, I looked on ebay a week later and bike was up for sale about £1000 more, fair enough.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back