Selling to a trader (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I realise we are all different and some people don't like selling things privately and I obviously don't know how desperate you are to sell but if your selling to a dealer you are giving money away because he is selling it on at a profit id guess about a grand and that could be in your bank and not
Deleted.

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
We sold ours back to the dealer we bought it from new. Price offered over the phone unseen was very fair. On the day the van was inspected on the drive and the price confirmed. Bank transfer on the spot and job done. It suited us for lots of reasons and we have no regrets. Now have a VW California on the drive as my daily driver and when the time comes, we’ll tour in it and adapt to it. I think it helps if you know your dealer (Emm Bee) and trust them which we did.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I sold a caravan to a trader in exactly that way. He quoted over the phone, inspected the van and transferred the money on line whilst I watched it arrive in my bank. ( laptop & mobile internet) It worked.
I did transfer the money straight away to another account in case there was a possibility to reverse the transaction. Not sure if he could have done it but safety first.
You did exactly the right thing if you were in doubt,it is possible to reverse the transfer within the same business hours of that day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
You know what you want for it, the dealer knows what you want for it. If he arrives and then starts to discount you say goodbye he knew before he left home what you wanted for it. (y)

Rapidoman 2011

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 21, 2013
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9009 DFH
Exp
20 Years Plus
You can not reverse a bacs payment, its the best way to get paid, no need to move it here or there, or even everywhere, if the dealer wants it, he will transfer the money into your bank account, just wait with him, have a cuppa, don't forget the biscuits, and when the money goes in, up to two hours, he can drive it back to base.
Depending on value, don't do cash, never do paypal or cheque, just get the doe ray me put directly into bank.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I realise we are all different and some people don't like selling things privately and I obviously don't know how desperate you are to sell but if your selling to a dealer you are giving money away because he is selling it on at a profit id guess about a grand and that could be in your bank and not his
A GRAND, you must be joking more like a grand profit minimum for every five that he buys it for I have p/ex’d quite a few vans and couldn’t believe the profit, as an example I p/ex’d my A-S Legend at a well known dealership in W-S-Mare, whilst I was taking delivery/handover from the salesman I had dealt with of the vehicle I had purchased, another salesman who wasn’t aware who I was said to The salesman doing my handover “how much is the Legend going for as I’ve got a couple looking at and they ere really keen” my salesman replies £25995 I was gobsmacked he would only allow me £18995 for it saying we haven’t got a lot of profit in these vans to haggle...... my a**e. I don’t begrudge anyone making a profit , I understand their overheads and staff wages and warranty work etc, but the Legend was spotless they didn’t even haven to valet it, a 7 grand profit within 30 minutes on a van that was near enough perfect. And before I get the expected flak the van I purchased was described as having a radio cd fitted, which it didn’t, it was hard work trying to get them to honour their description of what was fitted to the van, he said he would get one fitted but it would cost £250 and I would have to pay a contribution of £100 to it, come off it I said a basic radio c/d doesn’t even cost £100, eventually he gave in and supplied it.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
A GRAND, you must be joking more like a grand profit minimum for every five that he buys it for I have p/ex’d quite a few vans and couldn’t believe the profit, as an example I p/ex’d my A-S Legend at a well known dealership in W-S-Mare, whilst I was taking delivery/handover from the salesman I had dealt with of the vehicle I had purchased, another salesman who wasn’t aware who I was said to The salesman doing my handover “how much is the Legend going for as I’ve got a couple looking at and they ere really keen” my salesman replies £25995 I was gobsmacked he would only allow me £18995 for it saying we haven’t got a lot of profit in these vans to haggle...... my a**e. I don’t begrudge anyone making a profit , I understand their overheads and staff wages and warranty work etc, but the Legend was spotless they didn’t even haven to valet it, a 7 grand profit within 30 minutes on a van that was near enough perfect. And before I get the expected flak the van I purchased was described as having a radio cd fitted, which it didn’t, it was hard work trying to get them to honour their description of what was fitted to the van, he said he would get one fitted but it would cost £250 and I would have to pay a contribution of £100 to it, come off it I said a basic radio c/d doesn’t even cost £100, eventually he gave in and supplied it.

Most dealers work on £4000, but with that they usually sort the van out if any minor repairs and then you have your warranty.
I put a 2004 C Class Hymer 544K (got £18000 for it ) in part exchange for a PVC in 2009 , the dealer sold it a month later to the guy across the road from my sister and he paid £25950, he part exchanged it a couple of years later and they sold it 2 more times to my knowledge and it was on the forecourt in 2019 for £20.995.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Profit is not a dirty word
£5000 profit on a Used Mo Ho is in fact £4166+ vat for a start
Then they have got to service/clean/repair
Then a warranty, that needs buying
Then an over allowance for the next px
Then the electricity bill
Then the salesmans pay

Profit makes the world go round

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Profit is not a dirty word
£5000 profit on a Used Mo Ho is in fact £4166+ vat for a start
Then they have got to service/clean/repair
Then a warranty, that needs buying
Then an over allowance for the next px
Then the electricity bill
Then the salesmans pay

Profit makes the world go round
Anyone who thinks a dealer is going to shell out £18k and make only a grand on it is at least naive. And you are correct, if anyone in business works just for wages they won't be in business long.

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
We are having to sell our van,so the weekend i went online & filled in various online forms to get a price all ok there,
had a phone call from a chap says hes from northern motorhomes wants to come & look to buy, tell him how much
i would be happy with , i sent him some photos. All good coming on Thurs will transfer money while he is here.

As anybody sold there motorhome this way , to a motorhome trader, i have sold a few privately , where they have come & look , we have done
a deal, then they have come back transferred money & driven away.

Perhaps this is how the buyers work.???

Karl
I sold my last car to a dealer and it worked just like that. Funds transer took about one minute while I was there.

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
I'm under no illusions they will sell for £5 to 6k more than they pay me.
But you cannot offer finance
And if you look back on this very forum a lot of members say that they would never buy on finance,
Obviously a lot of people do or the dealers would be out of business.
I think the dealer made around £4k
I didn’t lose really so the new owner has paid over the odds surely ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The important thing is to transfer the money into another account you have immediacy it hits your account from the buyer and before you hand over the keys.
Not a problem these days all banks use the "Faster payment" system now, payments can't be recalled.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Davan?.........very expensive dealership, but popular.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Well, if you think MoHo dealers are profiteering, try buying a diamond ring from a high street jeweller and then cashing it in within a month...that will give you a headache

Jun 18, 2018
Funster No
We purchased a nearly new fully loaded caravan from the caravan side of his business, he was very fair to deal with, threw in an awning and the van was priced very competitively. He gave me details of the previous owner to transfer the CRIS documents and when speaking with him he told me what he'd sold it for and was surprised what we'd got it for. Similar specced vans were around the 21K mark and he said that he would ask a couple of thousand above what he'd paid him and that's what he did, we bought for 19K, he sold it for 17K.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
You can not reverse a bacs payment, its the best way to get paid, no need to move it here or there, or even everywhere, if the dealer wants it, he will transfer the money into your bank account, just wait with him, have a cuppa, don't forget the biscuits, and when the money goes in, up to two hours, he can drive it back to base.
Depending on value, don't do cash, never do paypal or cheque, just get the doe ray me put directly into bank.
At a weekend large sums can take a bit longer to transfer, when we sold our T5 Camper it took around 6 hours the poor buyer had to sit around making small talk. He was worried the money had gone elsewhere we were worried the money had but been transferred. Both of us kept phoning our banks 🏦 in the end it was all good patience was key. So the moral of the story is so it weekdays if possible.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
At the end of the day the dealers are in business and that means they have to make a profit to pay bills, overheads etc. What they sell your van for after you have sold it to them does not matter it’s just interesting. What they gave you for it was what you were happy with otherwise you would not have let it go. (y)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
At the end of the day the dealers are in business and that means they have to make a profit to pay bills, overheads etc. What they sell your van for after you have sold it to them does not matter it’s just interesting. What they gave you for it was what you were happy with otherwise you would not have let it go. (y)
Exactly it’s a business transaction consumer to business, if you want to maximise your sale through a dealer then do it as a sale or return, make sure when handing over to the dealer your van is as healthy and nothing needs changing, for example new tyres new leisure batteries. The dealer will explain what he expects to get for the vehicle you can state the minimum you are willing to accept the dealer will take £3-4K for selling your vehicle. That way you maximise your sale value I have done this a few times and have been delighted with sales no mess no fuss.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I sold a caravan to a trader in exactly that way. He quoted over the phone, inspected the van and transferred the money on line whilst I watched it arrive in my bank. ( laptop & mobile internet) It worked.
I did transfer the money straight away to another account in case there was a possibility to reverse the transaction. Not sure if he could have done it but safety first.
This is exactly what I did. All straight forward. Saves all the hassle of tyre kickers. I had a few offers below the traders offers so I had a good price.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Sold our last van direct to company/ dealer in May 2016 who came a long way to pick up. He paid the just off what we first agreed due to finding a damp patch around the window that in fact I suspected was there. Kept an eye on his website. The van was not listed for several months which I thought strange. Was then advertised in September for £4500 more than I was given. Looking at the pics of the van there was a new tower fridge freezer installed. I had no idea that the old one may have had issues. So taking account the damp and the fridge. The dealer spent a couple of pounds on the van and then sold it. Good luck to him making a few pounds and me I got rid of my van ready to pay cash for my new van. Everyone happy all round

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Do you let them take a test drive? Or do you drive them around? I have never let anyone have a test drive on their own even when selling my bike I held the total selling price cash. When he came back he said keep the cash
I will have it 😀

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
So an update, Man came poked prodded, took photos, sent them off, took more photos sent them off
Transferred money & went , all pretty painless .

The guy who came is an agent who travels the country, viewing,appraising & buying motorhomes for another guy.

Did not damp test, didn't even put a light on, when i questioned him about this , he said never normally a problem with
these hymers, & it looked like it had been looked after.

Took nearly two hours for money to go through though !!!.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
So an update, Man came poked prodded, took photos, sent them off, took more photos sent them off
Transferred money & went , all pretty painless .

The guy who came is an agent who travels the country, viewing,appraising & buying motorhomes for another guy.

Did not damp test, didn't even put a light on, when i questioned him about this , he said never normally a problem with
these hymers, & it looked like it had been looked after.

Took nearly two hours for money to go through though !!!.
And you got the amount you wanted

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Remember when Auto Trader used to send an agent round to take pics of what you were selling and to take your money. Ah the joys of tinternet, if you can drive it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back