Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can't you? I've had two labradors. I trained both to only go on grass, and when on a lead to only go when given the appropriate command. When on a lead, they walked to heel.
Oh if only it was THAT easy ... if you have a dog from young and are able to do so then good for you but those of us who don't and have 'second-hand' pooches aren't always able to un-train certain habits completely and thus have to take measures to lessen their impact. I have one dog that does NOT like to perform on open grass such as a lawn but prefers to do her no 2 in the shrubs, this is due we believe to her being told off when young so 'hid' the evidence and no matter how much we've tried we cannot change this nor her trying to hide it by 'recycling' :sick:.

No sniffing, marking lamp posts, bushes or doing anything else until in a suitable location to be off lead when they were free to exercise and do what they wanted.
To be perfectly honest I feel a bit sorry for your dogs if they are being so strictly 'controlled', our dogs enjoy sniffing etc when out so to stop them doing so would spoil their 'natural' enjoyment in this regard, fouling should I agree be done in a suitable place though.

None of these ridiculous spooling leads (although I had one for training purposes, but never walking in public areas). Not rocket science to train dogs, but every time I walk up our high street these days, I have to negotiate dogs on extending leads running right across the footpath and owners totally oblivious to the lack of consideration for other people because they are too busy being led by their dogs rather than the other way round.
Agree that there are way too many people who don't know how to apply the 'brake' to these leads, nor how to restrict how much is let out in the first place, but we certainly wouldn't be without ours and use them where it isn't possible to let our dogs run free to so that they can have a little bit of control of their wanderings and do some 'natural' sniffing etc on their own terms. These leads have to be used sensibly and if in a busy area, be it people, vehicles etc, then they should be kept as short as possible (ie the same as a non-expanding lead).

I love dogs, but not people who can't or won't control them. I've been bitten several times by dogs who were "just playing" according to owners who have no control over them when I've met them on walks in the countryside, and I'm well over £1K down in damage and repairs to sometimes expensive outdoor clothing that has been ripped by "only playing" dogs which the owners have no recall over (begging the question why they are off a lead at all in a public place).
Perhaps dogs just find you irresistible! :giggle: Seriously though if I was bitten by a dog the owner would feel the full force of whatever I could bring against them for failing to control it, assuming it wasn't just a pure accident (ie I was playing with it and got accidentally nipped which does happen) - if their dog caused damage to something of mine then the owner would be held liable to replace it. As for why dogs are let off lead in public places, unfortunately there are so few places that are not 'public' where dogs can be allowed to exercise that this is never going to be stopped and I don't think it should be if the owners are responsible ... and that's the problem, the idiotic owners who don't bother to keep an eye on their pooches and just 'expect' them to behave as they want them to.

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
Currently on Hurn Lane, Burnham-On-Sea on Sea Caravan and Motorhome site enjoying our first break in the last year or so, only to have it spoilt with Selfish/Ignorant/inconsiderate dog owners.
The site has the usual dedicated dog walking area, but some, not all owners can’t be bothered to use the facility, instead parade their dogs around the road access areas allowing their pooch to wee and c**p were ever they like. It’s not a case of owner controlling dog, but dog controlling owner.
.Had one owner today who allowed his dog to come on to our pitch, attracted to a tree next to our habitation door, wee and then c**p, saying “good boy”. I confronted the owner, who apologised and collected the dumping. It’s not the first time this has happened with dogs, even on leads, wondering on to pitches, with owners following them

Im not a dog hater, love dogs having owned a couple before, it’s the owners that are the problem. Also shouldn’t there be some limit to the number of dogs allowed per pitch we have a number of pitches with four dogs on them
Not quite sure how you stop a dog from doing it’s business. One of mine literally goes within moments of stepping outside with its lead on. As long as the poo is cleaned up why moan?

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Oh if only it was THAT easy ... if you have a dog from young and are able to do so then good for you but those of us who don't and have 'second-hand' pooches aren't always able to un-train certain habits completely and thus have to take measures to lessen their impact. I have one dog that does NOT like to perform on open grass such as a lawn but prefers to do her no 2 in the shrubs, this is due we believe to her being told off when young so 'hid' the evidence and no matter how much we've tried we cannot change this nor her trying to hide it by 'recycling' :sick:.
I'm sure that with enough time, effort and reward you would find it possible. You're not trying to teach her to round up sheep or search a lorry for drugs.
To be perfectly honest I feel a bit sorry for your dogs if they are being so strictly 'controlled', our dogs enjoy sniffing etc when out so to stop them doing so would spoil their 'natural' enjoyment in this regard, fouling should I agree be done in a suitable place though.
Nothing wrong with appropriate enjoyment in the appropriate place and at the appropriate time, the same as humans. My dogs had plenty of fun and enjoyment, but all dogs are pack animals, and they also knew their place in "the pack" and what was expected of them, and one of those expectations was that there were times and places for fun and enjoyment, and being on a lead in an urban street or when walked to heel was a time for concentrating on different behaviours. It took me nearly 3 years to fully train one of them, a very dominant male, but it was extremely rewarding to observe him slowly learning his place within the family and he turned out to be a fantastic dog with the most wonderful character. I still miss him daily. He had a very enjoyable life, believe me, but not one that involved him disobeying and running rings around me, my wife or my children because he thought I and they were beneath him, which he did initially. When he knew the boundaries of what he could do and his place in the family, he was a much happier dog than one that couldn't understand from one minute to the next what he was or wasn't allowed to do because he hadn't been told or was having undesirable behaviour inappropriately reinforced.
Agree that there are way too many people who don't know how to apply the 'brake' to these leads, nor how to restrict how much is let out in the first place, but we certainly wouldn't be without ours and use them where it isn't possible to let our dogs run free to so that they can have a little bit of control of their wanderings and do some 'natural' sniffing etc on their own terms. These leads have to be used sensibly and if in a busy area, be it people, vehicles etc, then they should be kept as short as possible (ie the same as a non-expanding lead).
Agreed, and if you don't live in the countryside I appreciate that many people probably have no option other than to use them for daily exercise in less open areas, but it is their indiscriminate and inappropriate use in urban streets etc. often by owners who are too busy using their phones or other distractions to notice the havoc and inconvenience they are causing to others that is the biggest problem. Mine was 100 metres long and too large/bulky to take on a walk up the street, but used in fields when training and practicing recall etc.
Perhaps dogs just find you irresistible! :giggle: Seriously though if I was bitten by a dog the owner would feel the full force of whatever I could bring against them for failing to control it, assuming it wasn't just a pure accident (ie I was playing with it and got accidentally nipped which does happen) - if their dog caused damage to something of mine then the owner would be held liable to replace it. As for why dogs are let off lead in public places, unfortunately there are so few places that are not 'public' where dogs can be allowed to exercise that this is never going to be stopped and I don't think it should be if the owners are responsible ... and that's the problem, the idiotic owners who don't bother to keep an eye on their pooches and just 'expect' them to behave as they want them to.
It's a minority of dogs obviously, and as I say I do love them, it's just their owners who often leave me exasperated. Some are only playing, not that it makes any difference when its a large animal weighing several stone that suddenly bolts towards you when you round a corner in a forest for example, jumps up and nips your relatively new coat that cost several hundred pounds, and rips it for example. The point is the owner should be able to anticipate and control their animal in all circumstances, not just respond by telling me it's OK because he's only playing. I could have been a child or someone who is terrified of dogs, and if an owner knows how their dog tends to "play" and that they have no or an unreliable recall, they shouldn't be off lead where there's any possibility of them behaving like that to other people until those issues have been fixed by proper training.

As for holding them liable - how would you propose to do that with a complete stranger you've never seen before and are probably unlikely to see again, who shrugs off the incident, ignores you or simply tells you to get lost? Yes, you could fall to their level and possibly end up with assault charges on both sides, but that doesn't resolve anything, and I no longer have the power to demand a name and address with the threat of arrest for failure to comply. I once got a £40 contribution from an owner towards the repair of an item of clothing that he dog ripped, but that's been the only time in more than 40 years. Another local lady whose dog ran up and bit me simply said, "He does that", before explaining that she was only looking after it that day as a "one-off" for a friend. Strange then that she was "looking after it" again a few weeks later when it again ran at me from a hundred yards away, ripped my trousers and drew blood. I had a few choice words to say and told her it should be muzzled. On the third occasion when it was about to repeat the pattern I kicked it under the jaw as I'd previously warned her I would, before it had the chance to inflict further injury or damage. Now several years later, I still see her from time to time "walking it for a friend", but it has always been muzzled ever since!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
On my jog this morning, I passed the motorhome parking at Rowntrees Park. A man with two big labradors came out of the site and the dogs immediately cr***ed on the pavement. He made no attempt to pick up the mess so I doubled back and shouted after him to pick up the mess he was responsible for. He looked back, and stuck up his middle finger to me and walked on back into the site.
I’m no longer of an age or desire to go and give someone, who gives me the middle finger, a slap. But there was a time, not all that far back, when such behaviour would have led to me taking steps. A sign of the times. 😩
deleted

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Have others noted how many patches of yellow grass there now are on campsites, parks etc. Mostly down to dog wee....

Pusscat

Free Member
Jun 16, 2019
Devon UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since 2015
Recently went to a lovely site attached to a great cider pub. A total newbie camper pulled in beside our van with a trailer tent. We were chillin’ in our van, savouring the effects of the local produce and whilst the lady was attempting to erect the tent for the first time (she made it clear to everyone she was timing it..) in Cuban heels, in a very wet field…her little dog was running around Ready to explode. Sweet little thing but not on a lead. It did pop it’s head in the van door at one point but I do recall thinking about being told in no uncertain terms when we signed in “all dogs MUST be on a lead at ALL times”.

it was being yelled at and ‘goo gooed’ alternately by it’s owner. Probably didn’t know what planet it was on. The natural urge to help with the trailer tent was snuffed out when she yelled at a chap with a tent in the next field to help her. He left her after she kept swearing and telling him what to do…the second chap who was ‘instructed ’to help‘ her did likewise after a few mins. Neither were thanked.

In the pub garden we were tasting the wares again that evening , the little black dog was released. There was a slightly larger dog in the garden and the little black one was ecstatically playing with it, so quick you could hardly focus. Then there was a yelp, the little black one had nipped the larger one. dog and owner disappeared back to their trailer tent, now erected after lots of swearing.

Next morning the dog / trailer tent lady popped her head in our van (we weren’t even fully clothed…) and asked if we had gas in our van. Apparently she’d been waiting since 7 in the morning to have a cup of tea but couldn’t get her rings to work. I put on a shirt and shorts and went over, the grill / ring was brand new. I turned it on, it worked. Her partner thanked me but nothing from “Cuban heels”.

Another couple appeared with their van about 2 spaces from us with a dog. Calm, on a lead and a nice pooch. The Cuban heels lady’s dog shot off and literally jumped up and down on the larger dog and bit it. Probably just hyper excited but it bit it. Much noise and yelling from the justifiably upset man and Cuban heels went to investigate. The whole camp site must have heard. “Your dog has bit mine’, ‘no it hasn’t, she’s just playing’ ‘it must be on a lead, it’s the rules’, ‘she’s just playing…’

Cuban heels went quickly back to her tent, the site manager was outside her tent within about 30 seconds, we didn’t hear the conversation.

Trailer tent went down and the happy collection left.

A totally inconsiderate selfish owner resulting in one screwed up (but sweet and fluffy) little dog. You just wanted to kidnap it and give it a new life.

The argument of clearing poop up immediately, probably fine for out and about but if it were really on my little patch where i’m walking barefoot, the thought of that parasite ridden heap of faecal mass recently being on the grass outside the van isn’t inviting!

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have others noted how many patches of yellow grass there now are on campsites, parks etc. Mostly down to dog wee....
Yes i noticed that great how they get them so coordinated.
0_D_dcE__WwAAuPLw (1).jpg

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
As someone who is a nervous cyclist and very nervous around dogs I would like to shoot the inventor of extendable leads. They are a terrifying combination in the hands of some stupid dog owners, they suddenly realise they don’t know how to retract it and their dog doesn’t come to heel when ordered. I’m lucky as I’m so slow on my bike but I’ve seen a few nasty accidents when dogs shoot out attached.

I’d have to say motorhoming has helped me overcome my fear of dogs quite a bit and I was determined my children wouldn’t be like me and they’re not. It was a real pain when I was a GP, I was notorious!
Eeek, the click click of those leads means troubles coming.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Eeek, the click click of those leads means troubles coming.

As someone who is a nervous cyclist and very nervous around dogs I would like to shoot the inventor of extendable leads. They are a terrifying combination in the hands of some stupid dog owners, they suddenly realise they don’t know how to retract it and their dog doesn’t come to heel when ordered. I’m lucky as I’m so slow on my bike but I’ve seen a few nasty accidents when dogs shoot out attached.

I’d have to say motorhoming has helped me overcome my fear of dogs quite a bit and I was determined my children wouldn’t be like me and they’re not. It was a real pain when I was a GP, I was notorious!
Please do not assume that none of us know how to use the extendable leads, we use one to allow our dog to run but still be in our control, rather than annoying other people, and we only use it in open spaces.
as usual the old 90 / 10 rule applies, you never see posts about people doing things responsibly, try praising the majority now and again instead of assuming we are all the same as the minority who get noticed
Thankyou
Joe

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
I witnessed some dog owners, just open up their doors in the morning and just let the dogs out. Also saw one person allow it’s dog to mess on the grassed area of someone’s pitch. This could have been where a young child would be playing later. This was on a C&MC site. It seemed quite common to walk between pitches, as a short cut to the service area.

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
I witnessed some dog owners, just open up their doors in the morning and just let the dogs out. Also saw one person allow it’s dog to mess on the grassed area of someone’s pitch. This could have been where a young child would be playing later. This was on a C&MC site. It seemed quite common to walk between pitches, as a short cut to the service area.
Do C&MC have wardens?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The argument of clearing poop up immediately, probably fine for out and about but if it were really on my little patch where i’m walking barefoot, the thought of that parasite ridden heap of faecal mass recently being on the grass outside the van isn’t inviting!
Totally agree, I wouldn't like it so certainly wouldn't expect anyone else to put up with it either.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
It’s common practice on a well know cornwall site, all empty pitches are dog toilets, disgusting irresponsible selfish owners.
watch these owners go to the beach, they wouldn’t put a blanket down where a dog has just peed or more would they even if it was picked up ?
On the spot fines needed for this activity, loads of phone snappers out there to catch them

OP
OP
BASA47
Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
Not quite sure how you stop a dog from doing it’s business. One of mine literally goes within moments of stepping outside with its lead on. As long as the poo is cleaned up why moan?
In response to above quote, "Great" the dog does its poo on your pitch not ours, Ive no problem with that, what a good dog and owner

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Please do not assume that none of us know how to use the extendable leads, we use one to allow our dog to run but still be in our control, rather than annoying other people, and we only use it in open spaces.
as usual the old 90 / 10 rule applies, you never see posts about people doing things responsibly, try praising the majority now and again instead of assuming we are all the same as the minority who get noticed
Thankyou
Joe
You sound like a great owner. Can you give some lessons to the clickety clickers that can’t use them properly. Do they come with instructions?

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I m sorry but I have to mention this,,,just pulled onto a site, just levelled and plugged in, new van,just pulled in next to us, and straight away ,some little thing jumped out, took a leak, and then dumped right in front of our hab door while the owner was looking on,,,I stared at her,all she had to say was ,,,,it was a long journey,,,I asked her if she was going to clean it up,,straight away she accused me of hating dogs,,,so far from the truth,,I left the conversation there,but if that turd is still there in half a hour, the convo won’t be over,,, I am presently seething,,,watch this space

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I m sorry but I have to mention this,,,just pulled onto a site, just levelled and plugged in, new van,just pulled in next to us, and straight away ,some little thing jumped out, took a leak, and then dumped right in front of our hab door while the owner was looking on,,,I stared at her,all she had to say was ,,,,it was a long journey,,,I asked her if she was going to clean it up,,straight away she accused me of hating dogs,,,so far from the truth,,I left the conversation there,but if that turd is still there in half a hour, the convo won’t be over,,, I am presently seething,,,watch this space
You were far more restrained than I would have been.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Should of took photo and reported it to site immediately, she would of cleaned it up.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thankyou
Joe
I clearly caused you great offense which was not my intent. It was meant in a light hearted manner, I don’t want to kill anyone. I did say some owners. The rest is true though about being a nervous cyclist and growing up terrified of dogs. I’ve worked really hard on it, I’m no wimp in others areas as I’m sure the funsters who know me would testify! I will have to master the art of emojis.

When I was a GP I always asked people to put their dogs in another room, very politely however much they resisted by saying they were harmless. I’d explain by saying I was on the dog’s territory, about to examine the sick owner and if I inadvertently made them yelp you could hardly blame the dog for going for me in defence of the owner.

Dog owning funsters have been amazingly considerate in helping me get over my fear, I wouldn’t have been able to sit down in a group with a dog, big or small, the classic racing heart, sweating palms etc was the same. I’m so brave now I hardly turn a hair. I even stroke a very select few. I don’t want them jumping up at me though, one step too far, maybe in another 10 years.....

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
I clearly caused you great offense which was not my intent. It was meant in a light hearted manner, I don’t want to kill anyone. I did say some owners. The rest is true though about being a nervous cyclist and growing up terrified of dogs. I’ve worked really hard on it, I’m no wimp in others areas as I’m sure the funsters who know me would testify! I will have to master the art of emojis.

When I was a GP I always asked people to put their dogs in another room, very politely however much they resisted by saying they were harmless. I’d explain by saying I was on the dog’s territory, about to examine the sick owner and if I inadvertently made them yelp you could hardly blame the dog for going for me in defence of the owner.

Dog owning funsters have been amazingly considerate in helping me get over my fear, I wouldn’t have been able to sit down in a group with a dog, big or small, the classic racing heart, sweating palms etc was the same. I’m so brave now I hardly turn a hair. I even stroke a very select few. I don’t want them jumping up at me though, one step too far, maybe in another 10 years.....
Hi, Not offended, and especially by you, i fully understand your fears, which is why we keep our's on the lead at all times,
What really annoys me is that 90% of problems are caused by 10% of the people, but they are the ones who get noticed and reported on, and then we are all judged by the actions of a majority, this applies to everything in this life.
I just wish that the media would look at some positive actions for a change, but then that would not be sensational enough,
If we ever meet we will introduce you to our Cavalier, who loves every body
Thanks
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back