Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
Hi
In the process of buying our first A class, a C-tourer 150QB. The van currently has no security that we know of.
Is it possible to fit deadlocks to the two doors?
Also I was thinking of going the “tracker” route rather than an alarm system as the van will be kept in storage. I know what trouble a sensitive system can be.
What do you guys recommend?
Thanks

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Tracker. Some insurance companies give a discount for a proper Thatcham rated tracker and others will insist on it for high value motorhomes. As far as I am aware no other security devices attract discounts which suggests insurance companies rate a tracker above other devices.

Gazz Kaz+Spag

LIFE MEMBER
May 2, 2018
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2010
He is based in Pershore we made a trip and called in on route elsewhere

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
I bought locks from him a year or two back for self fitting. He is helpful and reliable in my experience and his locks are good quality.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I've never understood how extra door locks will stop the toeraggs breaking in through any of the windows.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Congratulations on your purchase.
I'd just get whatever is needed to insure it unless you are particularly uneasy about security or plan to visit high crime rate areas regularly.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
I’m using two internal deadlocks that stop the front doors opening.
External deadlocks on the main hab and rear lockers.
Also alarm wise I’m using Vanbitz growler and tracking system.

plus if needs be I also turn my main captains chair and use a bike lock through the seat to stop it turning and finally I use a clamp on one tyre.

Between all that I would like to see Houdini get into my MoHo never mind knicking it.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Go To Vanbitz...end of story.
Strikeback Growler, Meta tracker, Non Starter, Twin Rear view camera, the when you get it home and upset the neighbours with the flashing Blue LED's you remember there is a dimming facility, the switch just above the Bike Loop security facility that keeps your external high value stuff protected when on site, that you can also arm/disarm.
Now try nickin it! you can protect against break ins by fitting visual deterrents & additional locks, like steering wheel locks, additional Abus/Hoe safe style locks etc, but they will never drive it away with a Non Starter.
There is also a newly discovered (by me at least) gearstick device that locks the van permanently in reverse gear for manual gearboxes, or Park for auto, this new discovery would save me having to carry the steering wheel lock for one, see below.
Hope that helps.
LES.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Abus deadlocks were factory fitted in our Hymer and we always use them.

Have you spoken to your insurers as to what they will require? A lot demand specific safeguards such as Thatcham approved alarms and/or trackers. Some will refuse to insure without them and others will load your premium if you don't have them.

We would recommend getting an alarm from eddievanbitz fitted. They are not cheap but are specifically designed for motorhomes.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Is he a mobile service? We’re right down on the south coast
Have a good close up look at the photos, especially the cutting out of the plastic trim and the positioning of the lock assembly.
This web page has been updated (new photos) since I did mine but the standard of care taken put me off using their services.
If you do it yourself there’s no rush, much more time to measure and measure again before cutting.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
I would recommend Eddie and Lyn van blitz the strike back system . I had this fitted 2004 the best money I’ve spent when it alarms it send a tex to you . It has gone off in anger when someone attempted to gain entry ,The noise made them leg it .The police in. Germany were already in attendance .hope this helps.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Yes Vanbitz all the way, had growler/non starter on my last van, got it on this van and will have it on next van (whenever that may be😉) great after sales too should you need it👍👍

Mar 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2018
Jackd In early July it was a VanBitz Growler Alarm and a Meta Trak Non Starter for me.

Since I got these fitted by VanBitz I have stopped worrying about my van being stolen and I feel that I’m sleeping a lot better. Worth every penny to me and definitely the best M/H accessory that I’ve purchased.

I particularly like that that while I'm asleep in the van I can have the alarm set for the van perimeter doors and lockers. Also the external loop and the panic alarm button on the fob. Oh, and how loud the sounders are :dance2:

PS As well as the discount Link Removed

PPS Discount must be requested at time of booking

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back