Security issue with Microsoft Edge and IE 11... Nasty (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
They have known about it for over 3 months and still haven't patched it.
If you are using Microsoft Edge browser or IE 11. Please change over to Google Chrome, Firefox or some other browser straight away.

Now that the details are out in the wild, it won't take long for black hats to figure out how to exploit it. Expect real world exploits within days.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/security/...dgeie-is-third-unpatched-msft-bug-this-month/

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Okay! silly question coming up. How do I do that @Gromett

I've just had the computer guy go through my computer because it wasn't connecting to the internet. He uninstalled stuff and it's working now but oh so slow. Do I just ignore Microsoft Edge and try to access the internet some other way ................ I wish I knew more.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I must admit I have not used Interest Explorer for several years and am happy with Chrome. I never gave either Edge or IE11 a second thought when I bought a new Windows 10 computer last summer. I just installed and used Chrome from the very beginning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
That's really annoying, especially as I keep getting Microsoft pop ups saying edge can run so much faster than chrome

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
@Gromett
Hi Gromett, is there a way of permanently disabling Edge because I can't find it. On my laptop with Win 10 nearly every time the pc comes out of sleep mode Edge opens.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Okay! silly question coming up. How do I do that @Gromett

I've just had the computer guy go through my computer because it wasn't connecting to the internet. He uninstalled stuff and it's working now but oh so slow. Do I just ignore Microsoft Edge and try to access the internet some other way ................ I wish I knew more.

I am sorry I am not a windows person (I use linux) so perhaps not the best person to advise on windows stuff sorry :(

I know when I used to use windows it crapped out on me regularly so I ended scheduling a fresh install every 12-18 months to get it back up to speed. Although I had two hard drives one for data and one for the system/programs. So a reinstall didn't involve any data loss.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@Gromett
Hi Gromett, is there a way of permanently disabling Edge because I can't find it. On my laptop with Win 10 nearly every time the pc comes out of sleep mode Edge opens.
Sorry no idea. I don't use windows. :(

I follow IT security news on at least a daily basis and if I come across anything that might be useful to funsters I post it (y). It is part of my job to keep up with security issues, but not fortunately to keep any Microsoft products on my own system :p

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Thanx Karl, just changed my tablet windows 10 edge to Chrome and also on my phone to default browsers... checked all ok on whatismybrowser.com

Kath

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Already set to Firefox.
Only happens when it comes out of sleep mode, already made sure it is not in any of the startup files & you can't uninstall it.
... keep poking it so it doesn't gall asleep then! :D2

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
If you are using Microsoft Edge browser or IE 11. Please change over to Google Chrome, Firefox or some other browser straight away.
Surely that's true and good advice regardless of the rest of your post. :D

Thanks for taking the trouble to alert everyone, though. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back