Scottish Midges...will they eat us alive?! (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
We're finally off on our 1st official trip in the MoHo yaay!!! Not sure if we'll get as far as the Highlands, but are we likely to be eaten alive this time of year if we so go? We have plenty of repellant and Piriton, but just wondering if it's going to be as bad a some people say or if you've had different experiences?

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Just spent two nights in Newcastleton on the Borders. Didn't really see any midgies but we came home with their gifts on my head and ankles!

It's not just the Scottish Monster variety that are aggravating, the noseeums are just as bad!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Midges aren’t confined to the Highlands! Expect them anywhere. The East seems to have less and anywhere on the coast is better than inland, they don’t fly in wind.

Don’t expect your van’s flyscreens to keep them out, they will get in anywhere.

Reactions: f6c

Deleted User
I've been keeping an eye with this 👍

Very helpful website, certainly worth checking.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we spent one night in the galloway forest they were coming in through the air vents we had to cling film the vents i put the headlights on at 11pm and they were like a blizzard

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Absolutely, they love fresh blood. Seriously, we live in the far southwest and get them, they haven't been bad so far this year. A slight breeze defeats them, flyscreens do not. We use Smidge, and their forecast.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We're finally off on our 1st official trip in the MoHo yaay!!! Not sure if we'll get as far as the Highlands, but are we likely to be eaten alive this time of year if we so go? We have plenty of repellant and Piriton, but just wondering if it's going to be as bad a some people say or if you've had different experiences?
You know how sometimes you sit out at night getting the odd bite then eventually go indoors when it becomes too annoying? Well Scottish midges are not like that. Their bite is unbearably itchy and they tend to hunt in packs. It is close to impossible to be amongst them with any exposed skin. On campsites where they are a problem you'll see tent campers with bee-keepers head coverings, socks over trousers and sleeves over gloves. Like any other midge they like warm, damp, conditions especially close to trees. Research will tell you when they're about and which areas to avoid.

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
They are an absolute nuisance and spoil a lovely place. Nothing keeps them away if the conditions are right.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Tourists will only endure them once in The Highlands,as they will never forget the experience, they spoil your holiday, especially round any Lochs & Lochens of which there are thousands, the west coast, and Skye.
You will like most wonder how any human being can live & work outside during the midge season. Then there are the Ticks to worry about, they attach themselves to you, your dog, anything that walks past them in the Bracken.
I have read so many times of people being held "Hostage" in their caravans & Camper Vans, they are so tiny they get in the van also. They get in your eyes, nose, mouth & ears, and the bites on the sensitive areas like eyelids, between fingers are the worst.

I would never go back during the midge high season, we went April to mid May, not any problems, late September onwards should be OK also, but never late May to late September in general. Its true the wind keeps them down, its when its warm & damp they are worse.
Face netting shrouds are worth taking, along with every other defence like Smidge, and Piriton for treating the bites. Its impossible not to scratch the bites at times,just hope they dont get infected as they did for my ex SIL on Skye.
LES

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
They are making up for lost time
They had no one to feed on for three months

Not been bad where we are they didn't like the dry spring
Most of the time they are not a problem but if you hit the wrong place with conditions they like you will remember :oops:
Knowing beforehand is the difficult bit

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
We always have a bottle of smidge in the van .. 👍👍

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
OK thank you... Trip to Scotland postponed til after midge season. It's clear from all of your answers it's not worth it. We both swell up in huge bumps when anything bites us so it'd be misery for weeks after.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The best defence is the motorhome. If you get it wrong ....... move!

The Simpsons

Free Member
Jul 29, 2019
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie ex caravan
They attack me like a plague but leave the wife alone.....theres a saying something about bad meat lol. Tried Avon skin so soft which helped, then was told to dab original listerine on face, neck and sleeves which worked better, even my wife walked closer to me.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Absolutely, they love fresh blood. Seriously, we live in the far southwest and get them, they haven't been bad so far this year. A slight breeze defeats them, flyscreens do not. We use Smidge, and their forecast.
We're also in SW Scotland.
We had them on and off for a few weeks back in May, but since, they seem to have gone.
We also use Smidge, as it works. Avon removed the active ingredient from Skin So Soft as apparently they didn't want to be associated with military use - not sure how much truth in that.

Anyhow - tourists are back now, so plenty of visitors for them to feast upon

Midges like.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
This not an absolute solution however it's is the best I have used . Skin So Soft by Avon You may smile when I tell you special forces use an unscented version. At worst your lovely and smooth 😉
I hear that is an urban myth smidge for me each and every time 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back