Scottish Midges...will they eat us alive?! (1 Viewer)

Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
Haha, sorry Sandra, heading for closer to home this weekend, sunny Northumberland ( but nowhere near Kielder Forest, where the midges are also 'special'!). Millport's a lovely place though, hope it goes well.

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
Well this thread has prompted debate in our house... Sue drafted an itinerary today for a few weeks in Scotland starting when the kids go back to school north of the Border.. this thread has made us rethink our plans... weā€™re now contemplating going somewhere else šŸ˜Œ

Jan 17, 2018
Sunny Poole
Funster No
MH
Low profile Burstner
Exp
3 years and learning
With a bit of common sense they're not a problem. They pupate in acidic areas like peaty soil or bogs, and are attracted by your CO2. Wind will keep them away - either from nature, or that you create yourself (e.g. by cycling). So on a still warm day don't park close to peaty wet areas, or of you do - keep moving! They also tend to fly in swarms - so you can see them coming and do something about it.

As a precaution I have a midge hat - but have only ever needed it once. I did get a bit neurotic and fit specially fine netting (>3,000 holes per sq inch) from here in place of my normal fly screens on the MH windows - in retrospect it was probably only useful on the big top vent, where I fitted it with velcro so it could be easily fitted/removed. That way we can still get fresh air but sans midges, if there are any.

I've never found any creams work 100%. Skin so soft seems to work best for me but others seem to prefer more purpose-made chemical sprays like Smidge. I generally don't bother but if I know we're likely to encounter any I'll wear something long-sleeved.
Yes, I heard that the wind keeps you safe from the midges. So I stocked up with a supply of baked beans for our trip. It didn't keep the Midges away but no one would come near me.;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back