Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi All
I’ve recently purchased a Next Base dash cam 512gw which I’m pleased with but wanted a better rear camera, the ones I’ve seen are really ugly looking like this one
BROKEN LINK
so has anyone got any better ideas I’ve also considered a new technology like on this web site which is http://www.trailervision.co.uk/inde...1l6P9iqg07vOPfD23k0F9g6DyyMxSepUaAsa4EALw_wcB I’m not not sure if any one on here knows anything about it but it does look impressive and obviously the cost comes into it but I thought I would ask you chaps anyway.
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
@sid1234 yes that’s the one I’ll ask him tomorrow how he got on with it. Thanks Tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have a look on Ebay - lots on there like the first you've linked to for at least £100 cheaper ... we've got one and it works a treat and has done for years!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have one of these on mine. Superb picture. It is made from powder-coated aluminium. Bear in mind it will not rotate downwards to view the bumper or a towbar (it sees to within 18" of the bumper / skirt) but as a rear view mirror replacement it is superb.

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Tony

You have to decide really what you need. A reversing aid camera? or a rear view camera?. Each has a different angle of view, which sounds trivial, but it isn't. It is more important for a rear view camera. Get it wrong and things will look like they are miles away and won't be much use. I experimented with some from ebay, but never got it 100% right before I was forced to change the motorhome. New one came with a rear window with normal rear view mirror and a reversing camera fitted.

The display for a reversing camera is normally adequate or good, but for a rear view camera, the display can never compete with a mirror for brightness and contrast over the range of lighting conditions you will drive in. What I learned with my Swift (no rear window) was that the rear view cameras were clobbered by the display contrast especially when in bright sun. As for wearing sunglasses to help, forget it. In addition, because I developed the habit of looking in the rear view mirror position where the display was placed, I dropped out of the habit of scanning my eyes to the nearside door mirror - not a good thing.

My advice - go for a good reversing aid camera and forget cameras as driving aids. Perhaps festoon the motorhome with cameras for manoeuvring to give you good views in tight spaces, but use you mirrors for driving.

Best wishes
Dennis

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In contract to Dennis's comments above, we find the rear view camera is a very good driving aid - it allows us to see idiots who drive too close so you can't see them easily in side mirrors, allows us to see traffic behind well and even at night is good - we placed ours under the bumper which gives the benefit of acting as a rear-view one and a reversing one so no need for 2 separate ones (it has lines on the display so you can judge how far off items you are when reversing and also how far the 'idiots' are up your jacksy!

If you only intend to get one camera fitted I'd place it as low as you can on the rear of the MH so it gives you the benefit of rear and reversing.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been using cameras from Parking Cameras UK on all 3 vans we have had I don't find them ugly. Good cameras and not too expensive.

upload_2018-1-22_10-42-18.png

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
If you only intend to get one camera fitted I'd place it as low as you can on the rear of the MH so it gives you the benefit of rear and reversing.
I don't think that would be possible as I travel with a Hydratrail and might even be getting a trailer for my heavier toy (Triumph America).

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Any thread title with cheese in it always gets me excited...
Deeply disappointed from Wales

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi tonyidle that looks better than most I've seen (y)
Probably because it's designed for commercial (property) use. It is extremely robust. And better looking than cameras mounted on a bent steel bracket (IMO).:) And I've just sold it along with vehicle it's attached to :(:D.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Tony

You have to decide really what you need. A reversing aid camera? or a rear view camera?. Each has a different angle of view, which sounds trivial, but it isn't. It is more important for a rear view camera. Get it wrong and things will look like they are miles away and won't be much use. I experimented with some from ebay, but never got it 100% right before I was forced to change the motorhome. New one came with a rear window with normal rear view mirror and a reversing camera fitted.

The display for a reversing camera is normally adequate or good, but for a rear view camera, the display can never compete with a mirror for brightness and contrast over the range of lighting conditions you will drive in. What I learned with my Swift (no rear window) was that the rear view cameras were clobbered by the display contrast especially when in bright sun. As for wearing sunglasses to help, forget it. In addition, because I developed the habit of looking in the rear view mirror position where the display was placed, I dropped out of the habit of scanning my eyes to the nearside door mirror - not a good thing.

My advice - go for a good reversing aid camera and forget cameras as driving aids. Perhaps festoon the motorhome with cameras for manoeuvring to give you good views in tight spaces, but use you mirrors for driving.

Best wishes
Dennis
Not all Motorhomes are the same regarding rear view with wing mirrors, my Motorhome is on a Transit base and if a motor is close behind they cannot be seen, I have to use a camera as a rear view mirror.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back