Saga massive renewal hike. Why? (1 Viewer)

Jul 14, 2020
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
3 years
Just receive a renewal letter from Saga. Last year was £420. This year is £620!!

We have been with them for three years and have only seen cost increase in line with inflation. We haven't hit anyone, haven't made a claim, haven't increased our mileage, haven't replaced the chrome taps for gold.

I have heard that Saga won't reduce the price when you ring up. Is this the case?

Is there a list of other insurers that we could try, because £620 is ridiculous and they can eff off.
We‘re with Caravan Guard. This years renewal was £419 - £3 less than last year.

Reactions: f6c
Jul 8, 2016
Carshalton
Funster No
MH
Nuevo II 2010
Exp
Since 1993
Every year I do the rounds of insurance companies to get the best deal for my Bessacar E495 and every year Adrian Flux insurance brokers comes in with the lowest price with the most extras and lowest compulsory excess. Saga and CCC are always £200 - £300 more expensive and they offer nothing extra in return. So ADRIAN FLUX offers the best deal for me!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 22, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Since 2016
We are with Comfort again this year . I had to have a new windscreen on the Hymer, I paid £75 excess, it cost them £3000 approx. Even with this claim the renewal was £25 cheaper than last time.

Jul 14, 2020
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
3 years

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We are with Comfort again this year . I had to have a new windscreen on the Hymer, I paid £75 excess, it cost them £3000 approx. Even with this claim the renewal was £25 cheaper than last time.
Make sure you have read the policy docs fully as often a lower premium can mean lower coverage or a higher excess.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Saga are renowned for quoting low and then massive rise in second year.

When I bought my first motorhome I went with Saga. At the end of the first year the premium doubled. I spoke to them to query it and they refused to budge. So I have never used Saga again for any insurances and never will. Don't even bother getting a quote from them.

Have been with Comfort for a few years now and found their renewal premiums are good with them going up and down by small amounts each year. And that is even after getting a new A class windscreen from them a couple of years ago

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have been with Comfort for a few years now and found their renewal premiums are good with them going up and down by small amounts each year. And that is even after getting a new A class windscreen from them a couple of years ago
Accidental windscreen cracks/breakages doesn't usually have any affect on premiums as it's normally discounted as just one of those things that happens which you have no control over, many insurers aren't interested in any claims on them and even though the question is asked its more to do with if it has been broken by vandalism etc which IS a bigger risk.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
I'm getting quotes of £250 ish.
Unbelievable.
If Saga had been less greedy, I would have stayed with them
Make sure that the level of voters is exactly what you need. Sometimes cheaper premiums are skinnied down products with lower levels of cover, particularly in relation to windscreen and glass. Read the small print! Safeguard are very comprehensive , not the cheapest but excellent cover for forour Aclass which spends a lot of time in Europe...l

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Done. Comfort. Down from £620 to £270. Fully comp, Yerp cover, trailer, windscreen, contents and only a £200 excess. Three hundred & fifty quid cheaper than Saga so they can go do one. Gonna ring them back now and torment them a bit...

Thanks for the advice to choose Comfort.

Got back yesterday from a couple of days on the Broads CMC site. Tried to phone Saga to tell them where to go. Twenty minutes later, I gave up.
Maybe they feel that the over 50s have more time on their hands to wait on the phone ::bigsmile:

The end of the saga, the beginning of comfort - until they quote silly next year.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Got back yesterday from a couple of days on the Broads CMC site. Tried to phone Saga to tell them where to go. Twenty minutes later, I gave up.
Maybe they feel that the over 50s have more time on their hands to wait on the phone ::bigsmile:

The end of the saga, the beginning of comfort - until they quote silly next year.
Make sure you're not on 'auto-renewal' with Saga.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years

It’s a daft, unfathomable merry go round, we have just left Comfort and joined Saga after a premium increase. Before that we enjoyed 5 years with the C and CC until they doubled the premium. There have been no claims, no new address’s, no vehicle thefts in our road, but it seems every few years, they hit existing customers with a large premium increase in the hope some won’t bother shopping around I suppose.
In our business we rejoice that we have loyal customers.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We were with Caravan Guard for 10yrs, renew quote arrived with a large increase, I phoned up to discuss, the young man I spoke to was dreadful, rude forceful telling me the increase was down to me being older, I pointed him to the fact that we had been with them for 10yrs yet online quotes showed new customers could get a better deal than me, what price loyalty.
He continued saying that was the best offer so I said ok we won't be renewing and he hung the phone up.

Two days later I get a phone call from a lady all very nice and asking why we weren't renewing considering we had been with them for 10yrs, I explained the phone call and that the person I had been talking to was rude and had actually put the phone down during the conversation, she apologised saying he was new, I said I'm not having that he would have been trained by them in how to answer the phone and talk to customers, that and the quote was far too expensive, oh I can reduce that she said, too late I replied for a loyal customer you should have offered me the best quote first time, thank you but no thanks.
We moved to Comfort who had a much better telephone manner and much cheaper quote.

Jul 4, 2021
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
A class pegaso 590
Exp
4 years
With the changes this year , more people will be going to places like Croatia, Bulgaria, Morocco, even Turkey; its worth checking what the standard territorial limits are ( many exclude Croatia from comprehensive cover) and what the possibilities of getting a green card for places on your list are and at what cost.
Croatia have always been on every policy I have had, caravan and motor home, Bosnia is the problem

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Croatia have always been on every policy I have had, caravan and motor home, Bosnia is the problem
Interesting. We are not talking green card here as we? I'll check my car policy but last time I looked Croatia had disappeared of my list of full cover and I just had green card (third party). Not checked recently though so you could be right.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Last time I looked for MH insurance (April 2021) I know there was at least one policy that didn't cover Croatia at all so I didn't bother with it (it was an expensive policy too I recall). Whether we'll go to Croatia or not I don't know, been before and enjoyed it so possibly.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Nfu definitely dont cover Croatia as standard and whenever this subject has been discussed there have always been more.

Jul 4, 2021
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
A class pegaso 590
Exp
4 years
Nfu definitely dont cover Croatia as standard and whenever this subject has been discussed there have always been more.
Just got new policy from NFU and Croatia is included but to travel through Bosnia you need a green card which is free when you know the dates you are traverling

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just got new policy from NFU and Croatia is included but to travel through Bosnia you need a green card which is free when you know the dates you are traverling
This is what mine says - the salient point in bold. I would be very interested to know whether yours is different?

Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, and:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France,
Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg,
Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovak Republic,
Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey
ü The policy also gives the minimum requirements by law in: Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina,
Croatia, Israel, Macedonia FYR, Montenegro, Morocco, Republic of Moldova, Serbia, Tunisia, Ukraine.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Interesting. We are not talking green card here as we? I'll check my car policy but last time I looked Croatia had disappeared of my list of full cover and I just had green card (third party). Not checked recently though so you could be right.
Green card is not 3rd party .It is to show the countries that are included you have the same insurance that you have in the uk; full comp or whatever you do have.
You always have 3rd party wherever you are as it is a legal requirement

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Green card is not 3rd party .It is to show the countries that are included you have the same insurance that you have in the uk; full comp or whatever you do have.
You always have 3rd party wherever you are as it is a legal requirement
I don't think you are correct. Its not the way I understand it. I have a green card. It has countries on it that are not covered by my policy and it clearly says on it that I am only covered for 3rd party liability in those extra countries. I will double double check tomorrow.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It’s a daft, unfathomable merry go round, we have just left Comfort and joined Saga after a premium increase.
After 7 years with Comfort without a claim my renewal offer in September had a substantial increase so I changed to the CAMC (Devitt brokers) at £140 less than Comfort for exactly the same cover.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
I find insurance renewal of all kinds is a really wearying experience and it comes far too regularly with 2 cars, the MH, the house and travel. Too many hours spent comparing the comparison sites and small print and battling for a decent price with your existing insurer etc etc. As to Saga, we’ve been with them on and off for years for everything apart from travel. Only had to claim once following a hailstorm of biblical proportions in the Italian Lakes, which caused a lot of roof damage. Mind you not as bad as the brand new Hymer next door whose roof resembled the moon. Anyway I phoned the claim in whilst still there and we continued our holiday. Some months later we got it fixed. All dealt with by Saga with no fuss.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Err, who did you work for who did that? Most decent insurers use the same algorithm all year round!
The poster is correct , many insurers will increase the quote on new business the closer you are to your renewal date. This does not impact renewals, as the premiums are generated a month in advance and the price is fixed until the renewal date.

Nov 14, 2009
Pagham Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis T688
Exp
As far as I understand if you want to go to Morocco there are only two company that cover you NFU and Saga

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back