Saga massive renewal hike. Why? (1 Viewer)

irwell2

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No
Just receive a renewal letter from Saga. Last year was £420. This year is £620!!

We have been with them for three years and have only seen cost increase in line with inflation. We haven't hit anyone, haven't made a claim, haven't increased our mileage, haven't replaced the chrome taps for gold.

I have heard that Saga won't reduce the price when you ring up. Is this the case?

Is there a list of other insurers that we could try, because £620 is ridiculous and they can eff off.
I got a similar shock when I got a renewal quotation during July from another insurer -- when I asked why I was told that it was because of the type of van I have, a 2008 Hymer A-class, which they said have increasingly high repair costs etc if involved in accidents.

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
Just receive a renewal letter from Saga. Last year was £420. This year is £620!!

We have been with them for three years and have only seen cost increase in line with inflation. We haven't hit anyone, haven't made a claim, haven't increased our mileage, haven't replaced the chrome taps for gold.

I have heard that Saga won't reduce the price when you ring up. Is this the case?

Is there a list of other insurers that we could try, because £620 is ridiculous and they can eff off.
I was with them for 4 years and every renewal was a massive hike so I would ring them to cancel and they would match my best quote. I got fed up of doing this and went elsewhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2015
south devon
Funster No
MH
globecar pvc
Exp
complete novice
caravan guard £262 last year ,renewal next week £262 no haggling and only 1years ncb.
cheaper than the car!!!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I don't think you are correct. Its not the way I understand it. I have a green card. It has countries on it that are not covered by my policy and it clearly says on it that I am only covered for 3rd party liability in those extra countries. I will double double check tomorrow.
You have an insurance policy .I would assume full comprehensive. If you go anywhere in europe witout a green card it reverts to the minimum cover they have to provide which is road traffic acts or 3rd party.You always have this as a minimum. The foreigners had no way of knowing you were insured though so the 'green card' was invented so they knew you had the minimum insurance , at least, for their country.
What the green card does is show all the european countries plus some north african/asian. If the boxes are not crossed out for a country then you are covered for the minimum cover required in that country + the full cover you have as in the UK= full comp.
If the box is crossed through then they are offering you no cover in that country to the standard you have. You would still have the minimum but to anyone looking at the green card they would say you have no cover for their country. i.e as in bail bonds etc if required & it also determines that in the event of a 'cross border' claim against yourself ,the claim would be honoured.

Jul 4, 2021
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
A class pegaso 590
Exp
4 years
Has any one fitted air bags to the rear axel, if so which is it best to do, 2valves with a pressure gage, or fit a small compressor, or just 2valves, and any particular make? Please

Al68

Free Member
Sep 20, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca 644
Exp
Since 1980
I left Saga this year and went to Grove and Dean. Just under £200 for 4 named drivers. UK breakdown cover and 3000 miles. If you want to stay in UK and let the kids borrow it I think it is a good deal. This is where someone informs me of a bad experience with G and D!!!

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Has any one fitted air bags to the rear axel, if so which is it best to do, 2valves with a pressure gage, or fit a small compressor, or just 2valves, and any particular make? Please

There have been several threads on this, quite recently.

Probably better if you start your own thread.
However, to be helpful, I had a VB semi air system fitted to the back axle, with compressor a couple of months ago. Gauges and push buttons on the dashboard. Absolutely delighted with it. Raises my tow bar by three and a half inches and the bus is now steady as a rock on the road. Cost was £1200 and the fitter was Motorhome Workshop in Worthing on the Sussex coast https://www.motorhomeworkshop.co.uk/

But I really would start your own thread!!

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016

This may have been said. couldn't read through all the 99 replies. But Martin Lewis money program a few weeks ago was talking about renewals and apparently the best time to get a re quote is 23 days before your due.... some odd insurance algorithm changes prices based on that as well as all the other standard questions. Some people were getting quotes hundreds less if it was 23 days until due date.

If its an option to store safely and quote for a new policy to start in 23 days time then take a look

Oct 25, 2021
Stisted, Essex
Funster No
MH
Cipro 85
Exp
Since 2005
Saga has always been a higher cost insurance for us in house and vehicles, twice as expensive so never gone there.

This year we tried a little experiment, I purchased earlier in the year a MGTF for the wife as a fun car, she was already insured with her Kia Ceed (1 year old) through LV, enquired and she put the MG on as a multi car policy, when we purchased the MotoHome in September we added that to the policy, all three vehicles cost us £403 next year I am going to add my car onto this policy as well.

Hope that helps some of you out there in Motoring Funland.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back