Sadly, It's The End of the Road for us ... (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
With a heavy heart we are giving up motorhoming.. and selling our lovely Timberland Panel Van

We have been thinking about this since last year, but after more thought it's been finally decided, it's end of the motorhoming road for us.

I always new this day would come but hated contemplating it.. the end of a road that Jan and I started out in 1990 with a home-built campervan .. 34 years, tens of thousands of miles and many happy holidays ..

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
It's something you think about for a long time before coming to a decision as we did a year or so back. We still think about buying another van for certain holidays, Norway again for one, but this year is full so next year is us another year older and maybe too late. Hopefully you have other plans to fill you leisure time. Good luck!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
With a heavy heart we are giving up motorhoming.. and selling our lovely Timberland Panel Van

We have been thinking about this since last year, but after more thought it's been finally decided, it's end of the motorhoming road for us.

I always new this day would come but hated contemplating it.. the end of a road that Jan and I started out in 1990 with a home-built campervan .. 34 years, tens of thousands of miles and many happy holidays ..
You have obviously given this move some thought so you know it’s right for you, luck for your next adventure👍

OP
OP
S

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
It's something you think about for a long time before coming to a decision as we did a year or so back. We still think about buying another van for certain holidays, Norway again for one, but this year is full so next year is us another year older and maybe too late. Hopefully you have other plans to fill you leisure time. Good luck!
Thank you

yes, we did think about for a long time.. keep putting it off, but age is catching up and we have other types of holidays in mind.. and places we want to see while we still have the health and energy to do so ..

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Thank you

yes, we did think about for a long time.. keep putting it off, but age is catching up and we have other types of holidays in mind.. and places we want to see while we still have the health and energy to do so ..
Which is what we are doing. Couple of cruises in the last year, the Faroes again in August, probably the last time in the car, and a trip to India in January leaving the rest of next year free for anything that takes our fancy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Good luck for the future, scotjimland (Jim & Jan)....

Keep looking in on fun !!!

Your past Motorhoming knowledge is invaluable to a lot...

All the best for your new travels..... :drinks: :hugs:

By the way........... approx 12 years ago I sent you a bottle of that tyre repair sticky gundgy stuff...
Did you ever use it.. ??????

If not can I have it back, If I remember rightly it was for a "Kia Picanto"..... :doh::giggler:;);)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Just pondering (albeit rather selfishly) when all the “old hands” have hung up their keys, will there be more room on the Aires for us young uns? I ask this as a question as I’m sure this sad realisation that motorhoming is no longer viable for some of the “old hands” means that younger, new motorhomers will inevitable take their place BUT is the ratio of retirees being matched by new motorhomers? Looking at sales I’m sure it is…. For now! And is the same thing happening across Europe, probably so!
One thing is for sure the “old hands” still have so much knowledge to pass on to us young ones, so please you oldies don’t disappear altogether👍
For all of you retiring from this hobby I sincerely wish you all the very best for the future👍

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
scotjimland, so sorry to read this.

A friend had to give up when age caught up with her, but she still wanted to enjoy days out, so she invested in a few bits for the back of her car so that she could always make a brew, fix lunch/snacks, took a small fold up chair so she could sit outside, and a massive golf brolly for when the weather did not want to be supportive.

She freely admits that it is a big compromise and come down from the lovely m/home she used to drive but reckons it is still better than sitting in a damp cafe, on a damp seafront, with (her words) "lots of damp old dears in Damart vests!"

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
well good luck Jim. At least you are able to make the choice and the choice isn't being made for you like it is sadly for some.

You've a wealth of knowledge to continue sharing and i'm sure you will continue to do, but most of all you have something amazing.... their called Memories.... from travelling to full timing to downsizing.,,, "you've truly done it all"

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Good luck to you both. It must have been a very tough decision I’m sure. Hopefully you’ll stay on the Forum so your wealth of knowledge and experience isn’t lost.

I think there will always be newbies coming along. Lots on here have children who are already into motorhoming. Or maybe tent camping for now. It’s a lifestyle, love it or hate it. Most of our “home friends” think we’re all mad.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Good luck for the future, scotjimland (Jim & Jan)....

Keep looking in on fun !!!

Your past Motorhoming knowledge is invaluable to a lot...

All the best for your new travels..... :drinks: :hugs:

By the way........... approx 12 years ago I sent you a bottle of that tyre repair sticky gundgy stuff...
Did you ever use it.. ??????

If not can I have it back, If I remember rightly it was for a "Kia Picanto"..... :doh::giggler:;);)
Even if it was any good after twelve years old-mo, it's no good for sealing leaky lungs, I've tried it!

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I always welcomed you knowledgeable answers to questions scotjimland. We have not met but I wish you all the best.
We were thinking of changing our van and having gone round in circles have decided to keep what we have as it all works at the moment, soI do understand how difficult your decision must have been. Enjoy your new adventures!

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
A difficult decision which am sure you both will have agonised over. Good luck with your future ventures and please remain part of the forum.
It’s a community too remember 👍👍🙏

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
It's a tough decision we made 12 months ago and to be honest we still miss it but unfortunately age catches up, good to hear you have plans for different holidays sounds quite exciting.
I hope you stay on the forum as knowledge like you have can't easily be replaced.
Good luck with your future plans

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Best of luck for your motorhome free future, always easier to accept the end of a hobby when it’s your choice.

Hope you keep posting

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
good luck in the future jim and jan it was a pleasure knowing you, lots of stories to tell now and your best memories .take care both and enjoy

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Good luck with the future travels we sold ours last year as we now sail but expect the MH holidays to make a comeback when we're not agile enough for the sailing!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back