Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
The large wind up rooflight on my Hymer has developed a minor leak, I noticed a few spots of water on the worktop below it. My question is, how to I remove it, to replace the sealant. I have removed the plastic side covers but can't see any screws, anyone removed one before?
20181206_090936.jpg

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You need to remove the trim with blinds in side and then you will see the screws for the inner surround, remove this and you will need to remove the window, if this goes up on arms you would need to remove the starlock washers ( these break and you would need new ones).
You will then see the screws from above.
scotjimland did a good post about how to do the job.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi the inner roof bit on yours simply pulls/prizes down revealing the fasteners

OP
OP
Norfolk Nomad

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks to all the replies, been up there and the problem seems to be that water collects where the rooflight meets the roof, must have parked level this time, so not allowing the water to run off.
I have put a piece of flashband between the roof and the rooflight as a temp repair, so hopefully will be okay until we get some dry weather.

OP
OP
Norfolk Nomad

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
spoke with the guy that does my hab check, he can remove and reseal for £85 at that price it's not worth me getting my hands dirty. He said he'd resealed quite a few in the last couple of months, put it down to the hot summer degrading the mastic.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
spoke with the guy that does my hab check, he can remove and reseal for £85 at that price it's not worth me getting my hands dirty. He said he'd resealed quite a few in the last couple of months, put it down to the hot summer degrading the mastic.

fair enough.. and if he breaks the dome.. not your problem..

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Are you sure it's a leak and not condensation forming on the plastic then dropping off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
Are you sure it's a leak and not condensation forming on the plastic then dropping off.

Highly unlikely on a double glazed dome, which also has fixed ventilation..
I certainly never had any on mine.. it just leaked around the side and dripped onto the floor

but in any case, resealing will give peace of mind and it won't need redoing for a good number of years

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we had exactly what you describe, I did a thread about being too level at the time, we had (still have) about 10mm of standing water in the middle of our roof, this got sucked in through what we think was a tiny hole around the skylight

@Terry correctly states how to remove the skylight having done mine at the time (y)

we love Terry, well more accurately my Bev does, sorry Lisa only in a platonic way, (y) I like him very much but can't admit any love for fear of starting rumours :LOL: or worse offending the man himself. (y) but he has mended a lot of our Hymer over the years :)(y)

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Highly unlikely on a double glazed dome, which also has fixed ventilation..
I certainly never had any on mine.. it just leaked around the side and dripped onto the floor

but in any case, resealing will give peace of mind and it won't need redoing for a good number of years

Are you sure about 'fixed ventilation'?
I have resealed the large roof vent on my Hymer, but can't remember seeing any fixed vents? I also get very slight acceptable condensation between the dome and black rubber roof seal, when dome is 'down'.
Standing water can find its way into the van via the vertical shaft between the dome inside handle and the 'raising/lowering' roof mechanism.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi the roof lights are not airtight,they have about 1/8 the inch gap all around between the frame and plastic top They also have at least one inch upstand ( more nearer two inches) on the outside so no water should enter even by the handle

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Must be different on some Hymers as the dome and frame black rubber seal on mine make an airtight seal when fully down?
I stated about the possibility of water entering via the winding mechanism shaft because it happened to me due to an external build-up of dead leaves around the shaft.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back