Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 26, 2012
Claypole, Near Newark
Funster No
MH
WildAx Elara
Exp
Hi All,

Looking for a little guidance and if anyone has come across our wee dilemma as follows:
Travelling north the the homeland up the A1 and just past Doncaster we hear this horrible squealing noise followed by a loud rattle/banging. Wife establishes that the roof light latch has let go at the rear of the front roof light on our WildAx PVC. The unit is mounted sideways/longitude. We were at a speed of ~65-70mph and as might be expected scared the proverbial out of the significant other. Obviously we couldn't stop immediately so sloweed and carried on until safe to pull off and see what was going on. Has anyone ever had this happen and if so did you find a fix rather than complete replacement.

She was up and down like a yoyo for the next 200 miles until I asked her to drive and then I had a crack at resolving it on the move. I know not the wisest choice but was the only way to determine what was happening. Seems the latch is not completely interlocking through the plastic loop.

All input appreciated.
Thanks
Archie

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is this it?

1663622589286.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Archie H
Jun 26, 2012
Claypole, Near Newark
Funster No
MH
WildAx Elara
Exp
I'll see what I can get in the morning Lenny. Minxy, thanks for that it is similar but not the same. I've been trying to id it but it appears to be unamed. I have gut feeling its fiamma but not 100% sure. We are static until Thu and as long as I keep below a certain speed it seems to stay latched. I have a theory that what is happening over 65mph is the poor latching is being exacerbated by wind turbulence similar to what happens with a wing as there is a wind deflector immediately in front of it. Low pressure versus high pressure just gives it the additional force to along with vibes to release the catch and there it is. Could be tosh of course!! More tomorrow.
Thanks A.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Archie H
Jun 26, 2012
Claypole, Near Newark
Funster No
MH
WildAx Elara
Exp
I'll see what I can get in the morning Lenny. Minxy, thanks for that it is similar but not the same. I've been trying to id it but it appears to be unamed. I have gut feeling its fiamma but not 100% sure. We are static until Thu and as long as I keep below a certain speed it seems to stay latched. I have a theory that what is happening over 65mph is the poor latching is being exacerbated by wind turbulence similar to what happens with a wing as there is a wind deflector immediately in front of it. Low pressure versus high pressure just gives it the additional force to along with vibes to release the catch and there it is. Could be tosh of course!! More tomorrow.
Thanks A.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• 20220920_091338.jpg
    20220920_091338.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220920_091117.jpg
    20220920_091117.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220920_091054.jpg
    20220920_091054.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I can't see the black sponge seal normally fitted into the groove in the roof light. Is it there? Could this be a reason?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Look at picture 1, the end of the hook has snapped off by the look of it

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
These are third party made extra latches to keep the lid down when closed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Definitely looks like a heki roof light. The difference between the vented and unvented version is whether the black sponge seal in fitted into the groove or not. On the unvented version the interior lip on the lid molding closes against the foam. Otherwise they are the same.
When the actuating arm is in the fully closed position the hook referred to above should engauge with the moulded 'keep' seen right next to the clear part of the lid in the photos. You can best see this by looking from the outside through the clear part onto the top of the mechanism. Or maybe with a small mirror but not much room.
If that's all ok try inserting some foam / sponge into the grove along the closing edge so you get a slight resistance when you push the arm over the pop out lock.
HTH

Ps. If it's a midi heki and u need a new interior complete PM me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Archie H
Jun 26, 2012
Claypole, Near Newark
Funster No
MH
WildAx Elara
Exp
These are third party made extra latches to keep the lid down when closed

That looks like a good solution thank you for the link.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Archie H
Jun 26, 2012
Claypole, Near Newark
Funster No
MH
WildAx Elara
Exp
Definitely looks like a heki roof light. The difference between the vented and unvented version is whether the black sponge seal in fitted into the groove or not. On the unvented version the interior lip on the lid molding closes against the foam. Otherwise they are the same.
When the actuating arm is in the fully closed position the hook referred to above should engauge with the moulded 'keep' seen right next to the clear part of the lid in the photos. You can best see this by looking from the outside through the clear part onto the top of the mechanism. Or maybe with a small mirror but not much room.
If that's all ok try inserting some foam / sponge into the grove along the closing edge so you get a slight resistance when you push the arm over the pop out lock.
HTH

Ps. If it's a midi heki and u need a new interior complete PM me.
Thank you Berni109. I'm with you on the make although there is no markings of any kind showing who the manufacturer is. It's not a midi as it is ~500mm long x 400 wide. Good info though for follow up on our return home. Cheers A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back