goldenline

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
Port Grimaud France
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
when we entered Portugal we failed to register our van for tolls we are at the moment in Lagos and I have talked to various people about resolving the situation most of them saying forget it they won't follow it up. Firstly I am going to use the a22 to leave Portugal but also I will be returning in January so would prefer a proper solution. Any ideas would be welcome
Alan

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Use the 125 ,to exit then when you return in January just register as you come over the border

Deleted User
when we entered Portugal we failed to register our van for tolls we are at the moment in Lagos and I have talked to various people about resolving the situation most of them saying forget it they won't follow it up. Firstly I am going to use the a22 to leave Portugal but also I will be returning in January so would prefer a proper solution. Any ideas would be welcome
Alan

Either do a search on this forum or google Portugal tolls and you will come up with a link to Portal de Portagems with all sorts of information on how to register, it can be done on line with a minimum of effort.

Even easier www.tollcard.pt but must be done before using the motorway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Easy to avoid the A22 just use the N125,we popped along today to see our friends on the aire at Lagos.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Either do a search on this forum or google Portugal tolls and you will come up with a link to Portal de Portagems with all sorts of information on how to register, it can be done on line with a minimum of effort.

Even easier www.tollcard.pt but must be done before using the motorway.

My dear chap- i think the op,just may be saying that he has already
landed in shit,and is enquiring if there is any way out of it?
Obviously i am not sure that sending him to read his way through
Portal de Portagems will do him any good,and if was sure about the answer myself i would tell him.
maybe slight prevarication,in the nicest possibly way of course,
but can you answer the question?(or not?)
bugger -i cannot find the smilies.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Your basic problem is that you have 3 days to pay the toll, and I suspect this has now passed so you are into the penalty charge period. It is not clear if any of the foreign vehicle schemes allow retrospective payment, though they will give the Portuguese access to your credit card.Many expats ignore the charges with foreign plated cars though their have been some unsubstantiated stories of people stopped for other reasons being obliged to pay up on the spot for all their old fines. The easy solution is to just not use the A22, and returning to UK from the Algarve it is easier and faster to go via Badajoz

Deleted User
My dear chap- i think the op,just may be saying that he has already
landed in shit,and is enquiring if there is any way out of it?
Obviously i am not sure that sending him to read his way through
Portal de Portagems will do him any good,and if was sure about the answer myself i would tell him.
maybe slight prevarication,in the nicest possibly way of course,
but can you answer the question?(or not?)
bugger -i cannot find the smilies.

Definitely no answer to the payment for the already committed misdemeanour , don't think post payment is possible but the OP did also say that he intended to use the A22 to leave Portugal so in order not to commit further breaches of the law I think a brief perusal of the mentioned document may be in order:)........found the smiley.

Deleted User
Your basic problem is that you have 3 days to pay the toll, and I suspect this has now passed so you are into the penalty charge period. It is not clear if any of the foreign vehicle schemes allow retrospective payment, though they will give the Portuguese access to your credit card.Many expats ignore the charges with foreign plated cars though their have been some unsubstantiated stories of people stopped for other reasons being obliged to pay up on the spot for all their old fines. The easy solution is to just not use the A22, and returning to UK from the Algarve it is easier and faster to go via Badajoz

I can substantiate that it does happen because it happened to me despite my best efforts to pay in the early days of the scheme.

The 3 days is only for Portuguese registered vehicles, there is no method of post payment for foreign registered vehicles.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
I can substantiate that it does happen because it happened to me despite my best efforts to pay in the early days of the scheme.

The 3 days is only for Portuguese registered vehicles, there is no method of post payment for foreign registered vehicles.

A genuine GFU then?

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp

I thought a payment card bought and activated within the three days would pay any charges as the law says you have 3 days to pay. I agree that there is still no way to pay at the post office which is reserved for Portuguese registered vehicles. As I said I just avoid the A22 so for me it is no problem.

Deleted User
I thought a payment card bought and activated within the three days would pay any charges as the law says you have 3 days to pay. I agree that there is still no way to pay at the post office which is reserved for Portuguese registered vehicles. As I said I just avoid the A22 so for me it is no problem.

I have never bought a Tollcard, always done it online, so can't give a definitive answer to that one.

On the FAQ's on the Portagem site is does say quite definitely that foreign registered vehicles cannot use the post payment system and that is what I have always assumed to apply to all payment systems for foreign registered vehicles.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The portugese toll system is a right mess. With 3 different systems on the go.

However there are lots of people on here myself included who didnt register and havent heard anything.

I do wonder if this will change now the cross border agreement has changed.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I have never bought a Tollcard, always done it online, so can't give a definitive answer to that one.

On the FAQ's on the Portagem site is does say quite definitely that foreign registered vehicles cannot use the post payment system and that is what I have always assumed to apply to all payment systems for foreign registered vehicles.

On the other hand once you have link your card to your reg number they can get you, one of the reasons I have not used either the payment system or the A22. I have mates out there who have had spurious charges against their Portuguese car account so I have just avoided the risk.

Deleted User
On the other hand once you have link your card to your reg number they can get you, one of the reasons I have not used either the payment system or the A22. I have mates out there who have had spurious charges against their Portuguese car account so I have just avoided the risk.

Have you no faith in the Portuguese administration/judicial system:)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Thats exactly why I wont give them my card details. I think it would be very difficult to get a refund out of them when the inevitable 'mistake' happens.

Deleted User
Having had dealings with them before I have more enjoyable ways of wasting what time I have left.

They certainly seem to like paperwork, literally,I wonder what they do with all the stuff, must be some huge storage facilities somewhere, unless..........it goes straight in them bin never to surface again!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
They certainly seem to like paperwork, literally,I wonder what they do with all the stuff, must be some huge storage facilities somewhere, unless..........it goes straight in them bin never to surface again!
Hi.
I second that,but while they are "Beavering?" away at mountains of converted wood pulp,we are living the dream.
Tea Bag
PS. Paper mixed with Eucolypty-bubble, Powering the grid ?(y)

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp

So is it only the A22 that charges on the credit card payment system? No I can see it's not....the A25 also and probably lots of others....and then there's the Via Verde.....What a complex system...but there we go....we'll just have to use the credit card and get an easy toll and then pay as we go if we use the Via Verde....why on earth can't Portugal be like the rest of the Europe and have simple systems...perhaps they don't like tourists:(
Another question.....Is a spare wheel obligatory in Portugal....we don't have one...we have the gunk stuff but no spare?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Actually there are a few cash tolls as well. This works OK, the Portugese are a bit like the Greeks when it comes to cash. It seems their card machines are always broken!!

Deleted User
So is it only the A22 that charges on the credit card payment system? No I can see it's not....the A25 also and probably lots of others....and then there's the Via Verde.....What a complex system...but there we go....we'll just have to use the credit card and get an easy toll and then pay as we go if we use the Via Verde....why on earth can't Portugal be like the rest of the Europe and have simple systems...perhaps they don't like tourists:(
Another question.....Is a spare wheel obligatory in Portugal....we don't have one...we have the gunk stuff but no spare?

It might sound complicated but it's really not, if you enter the country at one of the toll points stop at the line, enter your credit card and you are provided with a confirmation slip, check the details and if correct you are covered for the electronic toll motorways for a month.

Alternatively you can buy a toll card online, check usage and top up online as long as you wish.

Details are given in the Portal de Portagems website, google Portugal tolls and you will find the link or simply use the direct link that I posted earlier to the payment site.

Electronic toll motorways are clearly marked on the approach roads, all other motorways have toll booths, make sure you have cash as foreign credit cards may not be accepted.

Or don't use the motorways:)

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Matamoros - great post and it prompted me to look up the Portal de portagems.
There is a section right at the start "have you passed without paying" which looks promising.
I have just started to fill in the form and it may be that a fiscal number is needed.
I will post the result of any!!
Thanks
I do not think this part was here before now.,but then I do not look very often.

Deleted User
Matamoros - great post and it prompted me to look up the Portal de portagems.
There is a section right at the start "have you passed without paying" which looks promising.
I have just started to fill in the form and it may be that a fiscal number is needed.
I will post the result of any!!
Thanks
I do not think this part was here before now.,but then I do not look very often.

Can't find that anywhere, can you post a link?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Last year we entered Portugal on a motorway with no way of registering. Tried online a couple of times without luck then went and bought a prepaid ticket. Explained we'd used a short section of motorway (had to to get the ticket) and we're told that that amount would be deducted before any future tolls. It did seem to work out. We told them our expected route and they calculated the amount of tolls and we bought the ticket to cover it.

OP
OP
goldenline

goldenline

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
Port Grimaud France
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Alan
Well I decided to use the same route back so went on line and bought a toll card wasn't sure that it was activated so rang the help line where I spoke to nice young lady who assured me it was ok. So I asked about the inward unpaid journey and after consulting her colleagues they have deducted the amount from the toll card I had already bought so I had to buy another for the return. Quite an easy solution in the end not sure whether this is standard practice on their part but if it is a bit more publicity would be helpful, in future I will just buy a toll card.
Thank you all for the help and comments
Alan

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’ve just spent 3wks in Portugal and you can drive across it in a few hours so why use motorways... had sat-nav on no tolls and and seemed to get where we wanted ok...

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
why on earth can't Portugal be like the rest of the Europe and have simple systems.

Simple for those of us who live here.

The original toll roads are the same as others... collect a ticket on entry, pay on exit.

The electronic tolls are really, really easy for Portuguese registered vehicles.

I understand several visitors have difficulties with the latter system but I also know several visitors who have had none at all.

They followed the instructions and registered their credit card to their number plate and off they went...

(If Portugal was like the rest of Europe I wouldn't be here...)

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back