Agzy

Free Member
Jan 6, 2020
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
Looking at prices of having reversing camera fitted and way too expensive at present but a mate has suggested reversing sensor as cheaper and better option for 6m motorhome. Any thoughts?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I did put a set of 4 sensors into the rear bumper but they stopped working a year or so ago, use the rear view camera all the time when driving though with the monitor where the rear view mirror would normally be.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I fitted rear parking sensors to our van, but I think a rear view camera is pretty much an essential bit of kit to have on your motorhome.
We have the two camera type so one is angled down and acts as a reversing camera and the other effectively as a rear view mirror and the monitor where the rear view mirror would normally be as Mikeco.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Agzy

Agzy

Free Member
Jan 6, 2020
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
I did put a set of 4 sensors into the rear bumper but they stopped working a year or so ago, use the rear view camera all the time when driving though with the monitor where the rear view mirror would normally be.
Has been suggested that the camera retrofitted is better fixed above number plate and over iron monitor and this works out at half the price of dealers quote

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Looking at prices of having reversing camera fitted and way too expensive at present but a mate has suggested reversing sensor as cheaper and better option for 6m motorhome. Any thoughts?
We had reversing camera (twinl lens) when we bought ours and they work fine in daylight and when clean. In dark I find them useless. We fitted sensors and they were cheap to buy on eBay but didn’t fit them myself, so ended up costing £250. But I have been very pleased with them. Toying with idea of fitting others high up when reversing and another set on the front.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
You are reversing and get a solid tone or even a intermittent beep from reversing sensors. You then either pull a long way forward and see if there is anything there in your mirrors, or, stop the van, get out walk to the back of the van look for reason for noise, then return to van and continue the reversing. Or send the wife out, and have a domestic because she is now stood in a blind spot talking shite that doesn’t make sense.

That’s my opinion of sensors on their own. Sensors and cameras work well together. They make a sound you scan the monitor to make sense of what sensors are doing.

I have both fitted, and if I had to have one it would be the camera. Sensors and camera best option.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
How often do you go backwards?
If the answer is: lots of times.....fit a camera and sensors.
If,like me,the answer is : rarely......just use sensors.
If you have a wife/partner with a loud voice,get them out of the van to direct you.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've got reversing camera fitted however have been toying with the idea of self-fitting reversing sensors in addition.
Couple of questions that, hopefully, builds on OP's initial question and doesn't divert us too far off down a track!
How easy are they to fit (fairly competent diyer)?
Does the warning sounder need wired forward to cab area (along chassis)?
Any recommendations as to "what's good" kits?

Upvote 0

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
If you’re fitting sensors (essential in my view), make sure you get some with a long cable to the buzzer/bleeper. Some of the car type ones mean you have to site the buzzer too far back to hear it easily from the cab.
Quite easy to fit, wiring is already there courtesy of the reversing lights so all you need to do is drill 4 holes and thread a wire via rear door pillar into a suitable place in the van.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We have sensors on a car and they are virtually useless--'''''''--------- have a camera mounted high up on the back of our motorhome and I can park within an inch when reversing, also spot on when hitching the trailer.
So if I was to have one or the other there is no question, it would be the camera!!

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
We’ve got 2 on the roof feeding a monitor as a rear view mirror
One points as if it’s a rear view mirror the other one points down which is fairly good but useless when the bikes are on the carrier.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Agzy

Agzy

Free Member
Jan 6, 2020
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
I do favour the high up dual camera approach especially as reversing into my driveway is fine until manoeuvring over to one side and have visions of the bike rack smashing through the living room window. As for sending the OH out to direct that is a no go as, owing to her health problems and with her full blessing, I travel solo.

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I thought I was fine without a camera until the day I just inched back to allow a post van through and heard a crunch from behind. It was a car that could not be seen in the mirror and no time for sensors to warn me. Since fitting a camera I am constantly surprised by just what can be behind without you being able to tell!

Wyn

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
we have reversing sensors, i would have preferred a camera, but now ive got used to them i think the sensors are brilliant. i can 20 point turn our 7.4m van around in our drive!!
i am also going to fit a camera though, but thats mainly because i want one as opposed to needing one!

by far the best option though, is somebody actually watching you reverse back !!! if youre on your own though then of course you dont get that luxury !

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I like the FIAT sensors. On several occasions they stopped me hitting something while reversing and turning. The sensors cover a wide angle and react to objects I can't see in the nearside mirror. (y)

I would like a reversing camera as well as sensors but at the time of purchase the budget was a bit too tight to get all the desirable extras. Thinking of getting a camera retro-fitted.

Still training the OH but it's a very long process fraught with mis-communication. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
I like the FIAT sensors. On several occasions they stopped me hitting something while reversing and turning. The sensors cover a wide angle and react to objects I can't see in the nearside mirror. (y)

I would like a reversing camera as well as sensors but at the time of purchase the budget was a bit too tight to get all the desirable extras. Thinking of getting a camera retro-fitted.

Still training the OH but it's a very long process fraught with mis-communication. :rolleyes:
Fiat sensors? I am assuming that would be on a van as opposed to a motorhome. Didn’t know they there was such a thing. Thanks

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Fiat sensors? I am assuming that would be on a van as opposed to a motorhome. Didn’t know they there was such a thing. Thanks
Our last van, an Adria on a fiat base, had sensors. Hated them. We had a scooter on a rack and they beeped continually every time we reversed. Reversing onto the ferry to Orkney was torture!

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
When RoadPro fitted my Memo bike rack they disconnected the reversing sensors as when bike rack closed they would have been beeping all the time. I do miss them, though luckily when on my own I can quickly run to the back of the van and look out of the rear window! Other times partner guides me (and I guide him)

Attachments

• Van Star 1.jpg
    Van Star 1.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 23
Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I have a camera plus sensors as I think the two work well together. I have the normal bumper level sensors and another set at high level, these are useful as they can detect tree branches, road signs etc, that are too high for a downward facing camera.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
After I reversed the MoHo into our bungalow I had a duel camera system fitted by Towsure, the guy came out to our place and fitted it in a couple of hours. It cost about £400 that's a lot less than a rear door and roof repair. Gave me a good rear view "mirror" and then dipped for reversing

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
We had sensors fitted on our last ‘van (6m Majestic 120), but decided not to on our new ‘van (7m Majestic 155), mainly due to cost, but also that it had a fitted camera (high level for rear view) and also that I bought a Garmin BC40 wireless camera which links-up with our Garmin satnav, to fit to the rear number plate. The BC40 is battery-powered, so no drilling/wiring issues, and the batteries have so far lasted about 5 months. I find that a combination of rear view (high and low) is sufficient, even when reversing onto our drive and navigating between our house and next door.........

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
I have a twin camera fitted high up on the back, I have sensors on my cars. All I can say is that if I only had sensors on the MH I'd fit a camera. Sensors are no substitute and, as mentioned above, a useful aid even when driving forwards as an effective rear-view mirror.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Back thinking again about fitting sensors.(y)
Anybody got any recommendations \ links as to a good brand \ model to fit?

Upvote 0

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
We have sensors on our Adria 7.5m which are not great as they only need to be at a slight angle to trigger. Has stopped me perhaps grounding once when the van was new but I had to jump out to see what was wrong. I would not pay to have them fitted on our van as a camera is far better. Smaller overhang then why not as an additon.

Upvote 0

Rosco

Free Member
May 17, 2020
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Does nobody use their external driving mirrors ?? Use them and no need for external rear view Mirror apart from when reversing .

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Cheap wireless number plate camera and monitor available on eBay may not be elegant but work
BOSCAM K7 Digital Wireless Reversing Camera Kit, 5" TFT-LCD Monitor With Stable Clear Image, Night Vision Rear View Camera, For Hatchback, SUV, Lorry, Van, MPV, Cargo Van Amazon product ASIN B07RL5NJSB

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back