Agzy

Free Member
Jan 6, 2020
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
Looking at prices of having reversing camera fitted and way too expensive at present but a mate has suggested reversing sensor as cheaper and better option for 6m motorhome. Any thoughts?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
And they will love to do that when it's pissing with rain and blowing a gale. :LOL:

The OH loves rain. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Her + £30 walkie-talkies, even if she stands in the blind spot as usual. We also have Fiat's factory-fitted reversing sensors that work quite well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I put reversing sensors at the front/quarters of our A Class Sprinter, connected to an illuminating switch on the dash. I have a similar £14.00 set ready to fit on the E510. Dead handy in tight squeezes!
John

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
1593593711597.png

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
If you fit reversing sensors they really need to look at nothing other than fresh air.
When I couldnt afford a camera I mounted 4 sensors on a piece of plastic trunking mounted on the underside of the bike rack, worked pretty well but you do need to be careful/economical with the cable runs as they are only just long enough and the ends are pre-fitted.
Now have a high level 2 lens camera to supplement the rear view mirror and give a good view when reversing. The sensor system was very effective but the camera is bestest! ( apart from nighttime when it blooms badly with headlamps and street lights.
Mike & Ann

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
McLouis Steel
Exp
20 years
Our last van, an Adria on a fiat base, had sensors. Hated them. We had a scooter on a rack and they beeped continually every time we reversed. Reversing onto the ferry to Orkney was torture!
Oh I can imagine that, I've done that, had to reverse back down the length of 2 artics on either side.
I had the sensors with the distance display. I favour camera abs sensors, the biggest part of the cost is running the wires that bit really is not difficult.

Upvote 0

dr1uk

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2019
We have factory fitted reverse sensors on our 6.36m motorhome (no reverse camera). They are very good. I can park in tight spaces, reverse with confidence and manoeuvre easily. No need for a reverse camera in our case. I would opt for one on a coach built motorhome around 7m and above.

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2018
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
Exp
Since 2016
Fitted a set of sensors, £16 off eBay, easy job for anyone with some diy skills! Wired in to the reversing light feed and the sensors fitted low down on the rear plastic trim ( can’t call it a bumper! ) The sounder is in the rear bathroom, in the under sink cupboard, and is easily heard from the drivers seat with the doors shut ( 7.5m MH ) Combined with rear view camera and using wing mirrors there are not many situations that you can’t reverse with confidence and accuracy. Nothing more likely to cause domestic grief than the OH going to watch you back then standing where you can’t see or hear her!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back