Reversing camera kits high or low? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
have been looking at reversing camera kits. Which is the the one to go for?

Have seen some with cameras mounted high on back of the van and others with the camera mounted in the bumper, this seems the best for more as it will bee much more easy to fit!

What do you think?

Colyboy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Depends what you want to be able to see.

If it's purely for reversing and you only want to be able to see where your bumper is then low level is fine.

If you want to also use it for rear view whilst driving then obviously it needs to be high.

FWIW mine is high but pointing straight down at the bumper so is only usable for reversing. I find that works best for me.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
my preference is for a twin camera set up.. mounted higher up on van.. one camera giving a permanent rear view and the second looking down the back of van when reversing, but either view can be selected manually in cab.. i quite often switch to the reverse view when moving away from something that I'm tight to, and watch the overhang clearance...
the low mounted cameras often employ a grid which means you still have to estimate the exact position of the object relative to where the line on the grid is, rather than looking at an actual space which with the right camera doesn't have to be that distorted..
andy.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes, I vote for twin cameras high up. One long distance one close up to the bumper. I can park up and know where I am to the inch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Fitted a low level one on the last van, only good for rough check of nothing in the way no good for accurate positioning.
Fitted a twin high up one on current van wouldn't have anything else now.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I would think the lower one would get dirty easier due to the height from the road, then that would restrict your veiw anyway so I vote for one higher up.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I fitted the twin cam units high up on the last couple of vans ,one with a mirror monitor ,and tother with dash mounted monitor both performed well but prefer the 7" mirror monitor .
I had a mirror monitor in the last van neat solution and convenient viewing position but found that it was hopeless in bright sunlight due to reflections of the glass. Cameras are fed to my Clarion double din stereo unit in my current van I find it much better. I don't like separate monitors as they look tacky prefer integrated solutions.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I suppose it would how it was set up for the users ,the monitor I had (7" mirror mounted) in my LMC coachbuilt was dimmable ,also with a flip down facia to act as a rear view mirror .And no probs with glare. No good in the A class with drop down bed due to trailing wire.so dash mounted and suffered from glare.
The one I have now (already fitted on French van Challenger 104 ) mounted high up,one cam unit good rear view when driving ,when reversing will automatically switch to down angle view. 7" monitor dash mounted ,and no problem with glare .
Horses for courses imo:xgrin:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Another vote for twin camera high up.
More chance of seeing something sticking out .

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
If you go for 2 high do not go for auto switching on reverse, there are many times when being able to switch is helpful. My currentvan has a dealer fitted twin with auto switching and I have had to fit a third camera which I can use to get the 'big ' picture reversing

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We have one which is positioned above the rear step (it was already fitted when we bought the van) Its great for looking at the rear step but not much else when reversing but would be ok for seeing traffic behind when driving but I dont use it for that as I can see adequately using internal and external mirrors. I am looking to move it but not sure of routing the cable as I would want to mount it up top where previous Vans have had cameras which were fine. (If anyone has experience of someone in the South who could move it I would appreciate a recommendation :) )

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I fitted a cheap chinese one with a very small camera that is fixed securely to the plastic above the number plate (where the number plate lights are half way up the door).
No bodywork holes to make and easy routing of the wire.
Ideal height so see whats behind when reversing and a some rear view but not a replacement for wing mirrors when driving.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would think the lower one would get dirty easier due to the height from the road, then that would restrict your veiw anyway so I vote for one higher up.

Low down, covered in crud, day 1.
Actually we used to have a high camera which I fixed underneath the high level brake light but when we were in a hurry to get one fitted last year before going away I put it temporarily under the rear bumper with the intention of moving it when we got back. It gave a very good rear view whilst driving and reversing which was a pleasant surprise - we had concerns that it would get covered in road crud etc but being placed in the centre it was nowhere near the wheels and not low enough so stuff splashing up off the road didn't reach it either ... so it stayed there then and is STILL there!

The only 'mod' I've done is cut down and attached a plastic tub behind it under the bumper to provide some protection so that if anything gets thrown up sideways from the wheels or the road, it won't hit the camera and bust it! Its still going strong and works perfectly as is a much easier install.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Both my previous vans had twin cameras mounted high up and wired to an interior rear view mirror.
They rarely needed cleaning in between van washes, unlike the factory fitted camera fitted just above the number plate on the tailgate of my Toyota Auris estate, which is as good as useless at this time of the year, with all the crud covering it after only a few miles.

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I would stay high regardless of one or two cameras but I agree with everyone else.... two are well worth it. I also use a side camera which is very useful if you have a LHD in this country and are turning left or a RHD elsewhere turning right. I've found that there isnt much of a difference between the cheap stuff and the more expensive setups.

If you can, buy one of the newer design ones which have just one 4 pin lead and plug. Easier to install and you can get away with drilling a smaller hole in the body.
HTB1U1PzGpXXXXXKapXXq6xXFXXXn.jpg

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
I would stay high regardless of one or two cameras but I agree with everyone else.... two are well worth it. I also use a side camera which is very useful if you have a LHD in this country and are turning left or a RHD elsewhere turning right. I've found that there isnt much of a difference between the cheap stuff and the more expensive setups.
Which camera do you suggest?

I'm also intrigued by the side camera.

US website The Wirecutter did a very thorough comparison of reversing cameras. Their budget option is a Link Removed.

How do you have multiple cameras hooked up to your display? I'm hoping to install a Sony stereo with a 6.4" display as it has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, but it only has an input for one camera.

Seems like you could rig up a Link Removed to switch between multiple camera inputs, and then output one video to the Sony stereo.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Lots of cameras on Ebay of the same type, cheaper of course so we have 2, original and a spare.

Deleted User
One problem with a low mounted camera is that when the sun is low the angle of incidence onto the lens causes the display to 'bleach' out.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you want to use it as a rear view mirror, when travelling, put it high up. You'll be able to see over the tops of cars, rather than stare at someone's bumper.
For reversing, lower down would allow you to clean the lens more easily. Personally, I use reversing sensors and side mirrors.

Feb 20, 2010
winchcombe
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
how do you get the cable to the front? must be a nightmere and i dont won't to cut any holes?

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
I think you do have to drill a hole for the cable, but could you mount the camera with some kind of glue? To minimize the number of holes.

Jan 27, 2014
Oakham, Rutland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I would also vote for twin cameras, worth paying a bit extra for good quality kit, I have fitted Sony cameras to my current van and have been very impressed with the images even at night compared with the cheaper eBay special I fitted to my last van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back