Reversed into a lamp post

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by 1881TB, May 13, 2018.

1. 1881TB

1881TB Funster

Ratings:
    +72
    All very embarrassing, I just didn't see it. I hit it hard enough to crack some of the GRP on the back, but not, thankfully any lights. The worst bit is that the impact has put a large crack in the ply board which lines the back of the garage and has shifted the island bed and connected cupboards so the furniture is all skew-whiff. It's clearly an insurance job but fortunately the gas, water and electrics are OK. It's still driveable and liveable. I've looked underneath and all panels and metal seem straight as do the sides and roof.

I'm full-timing so wasn't planning to return to the UK until Xmas but as my van is an Auto-Trail, I don't think I can get it properly fixed abroad?

I haven't had an accident abroad before, or in the UK for as long as I can remember, so what happens from here? I rang Aviva and told them, they said they would get someone from their international division to call me to tell me what to do but that they wouldn't be in touch until Monday. What options am I likely to have? The GRP spare wheel cover has dents (repairable?) as does the bottom of the rear panel which is more badly damaged but still potentially repairable. I don't know much about GRP repairs. Some of the furniture could perhaps be shifted back into position but there are a couple of bits where the wood has given way, splitting the laminate covering. So they will need replacing and I wouldn't think anyone but Auto-Trail would have those parts.

Any advice about Comfort insurance / Aviva gratefully received. Glad I declared full-timing and paid the hefty premium.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Dilbert

Dilbert Funster

Ratings:
    +551
    If it was me I'd get it repaired near where you are, plenty of caravan motor home repair people in France considerably cheaper and easier provided you've got the readies that is. If you involve the insurance company you will lose your excess and get hammered come renewal time seeing that there's not a lot of firms covering full timers anyway. You should post some photos on here of the damage some one might be near you to help you out.PS if you bring it back to the UK you'll end up Homeless for about a fortnight while it gets fixed. Hope you get sorted out.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. sonny

sonny Funster

Ratings:
    +398
    If you have already notified the insurance people they will log it as you having an accident and will mention it when it is time for renewal, but good luck and hope you get it sorted painlessly.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. icantremember

icantremember Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +17,067
    That's bad luck and I would be livid, but someone has to ask ...... how's the lamp post?:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. andy63

andy63 Funster

Ratings:
    +14,505
    That bit doesnt sound good even though you say everything looks good..
    Cant visualize it but for internals to have shifted id be looking carefully at body panels and seams...
    Hope you get sorted..
    It reminded me of an old cast iron lamppost i demolished reversing a fire engine back up the street to a house id overshot ..literally desintigrated with only the smallest mark on the body work of the engine..
    Still got well bollocked :LOL:
    Andy.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  6. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Ratings:
    +13,667
    My son wrote off our transit some years (4k), insured through another company to Aviva

They were very fair, paid out full value

Insurance through the broker was going to go up, contacted Aviva direct for a quote - the premium actually went down from previous year's premium! I asked the Aviva guy on the phone if it was correct, he said he couldn't explain but he'd put the claim details through and to go ahead.

Accidents are what insurance is for - you've already told them so I would let them handle it

Take pics of all the damage - will help when you sell

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. CazPaul

CazPaul Funster

Ratings:
    +4,096
    It could be an expensive one that from what you say, agree with let the insurer sort it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +28,922
    In your dreams......if it's moved furniture it's bad no matter how trivial it looks from the outside..
    I'd say a couple of months minimum while they source any new parts and I doubt very much they will repair split and broken furniture.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Spriddler

Spriddler Funster

Ratings:
    +2,714
    It might be easier than you think to get it fixed in France.
    From Google.....

Auto-Trail are a French owned subsidiary of the famous Trigano Group of companies, whose head office is in Paris.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. 1881TB

1881TB Funster

Ratings:
    +72
    I'm actually still in Spain, heading for France.

The lamp post was fine!

I have taken pictures. I wasn't going to use the insurance until I saw that the furniture had shifted, I'm amazed there isn't more visible damage on the outside.

I appreciate everyone's concern and advice and I'll let you know what happens.

• Like it Like it x 3
  11. CazPaul

CazPaul Funster

Ratings:
    +4,096
    Hope you have informed the insurance as soon as possible, every way of wriggling out they will.

12. 1881TB

1881TB Funster

Ratings:
    +72
    Blimey, just looked up Trigano who own 15 motorhome companies, all familiar names so a good chance they will share components.

13. Spriddler

Spriddler Funster

Ratings:
    +2,714
    Quite. Surprised me too. One of the benefits of globalisation.
    T'would be a shame to have to come back to U.K., and I'm pretty sure that French m/h owners also reverse into lamp posts.

14. 1881TB

1881TB Funster

Ratings:
    +72
    Yes I did. You have to make a decision quite quickly because of that clause. At first I thought perhaps it was minor but when we noticed the furniture had moved I decided to get on the phone. If I later discover that I needn't have I will just wear it. It would be worse if it turned out that the chassis was bent or something and I hadn't claimed straightaway. I am concerned about having the van off the road though, I will just have to explain my circumstances and hopefully live in the van until they have all the parts ready to fit.

• Like it Like it x 1
  15. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Ratings:
    +42,398
    Not sure how old your MH is, but we asked Hymer for a price for one bit of worktop around the sink that we had damaged, that alone was £1600 without removal of old and refitting, you could even be looking at a write off if too much stuff needs to be removed / replaced / refitted

You have my sympathy this sounds like it is right out of my life stories o_O

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I feel your pain! Sorry to hear about your misfortune with a recalcitrant lamp post. :(

Hope you manage to get things sorted and that Comfort Insurance provide a decent service.

17. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Ratings:
    +2,994
    We had a claim on our motorhome insurance - only went up £3 next renewal - wish I could say the same for the car and the motorbikes :(

• Like it Like it x 1
  18. 1881TB

1881TB Funster

Ratings:
    +72
    @MikeD I had my Fireblade motorbike nicked years ago and only lost part of my no claims and I don't think there was a dramatic hike the following year. Luck of the draw.

• Like it Like it x 1
  19. 1881TB

1881TB Funster

Ratings:
    +72
    Aviva have given me three options:

1. have it repaired abroad but if the repair is no good it's down to me, they will pay but won't enter into any dispute

2. Have it repaired by an approved garage in the UK - the nearest to me is Spectrum in Thurrock

3. Have a firm called SPI look at the damage back in the UK and advise how and who should handle the repair, it may be suitable for a garage nearer to me or need to go to Auto-Trail.

Sounds fair enough to me, and as the van is only 5 years old we are going to head back to UK and spend summer getting this done rather than being stuck at home over the winter. We don't want to risk a poor repair abroad or being stuck in one place and having to pay for our own accommodation. There is a limit on how long Aviva will pay for accommodation while repairs are done.

Aviva also said there was no time limit to get repairs started so we will go slowly and enjoy the journey as usual. Every cloud has a silver lining, we are looking forward to seeing friends and family again and there are some other things we want to sort in the van which are easier to tackle at home. Also looking forward to proper beer and a curry.

Has anyone any experience of SPI, Spectrum or repairers near Watford, Herts..? We will probably stay there with family while the van is off the road.

• Like it Like it x 3
  20. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Ratings:
    +91,257
    Sorry about your damage but glad the insurers are offering help.
    Good luck and hope you are on the road again asap!

• Like it Like it x 1