1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche, 2013
Exp
Spent a few weeks touring Australia and New Zealand about 10 years ago...
All very embarrassing, I just didn't see it. I hit it hard enough to crack some of the GRP on the back, but not, thankfully any lights. The worst bit is that the impact has put a large crack in the ply board which lines the back of the garage and has shifted the island bed and connected cupboards so the furniture is all skew-whiff. It's clearly an insurance job but fortunately the gas, water and electrics are OK. It's still driveable and liveable. I've looked underneath and all panels and metal seem straight as do the sides and roof.

I'm full-timing so wasn't planning to return to the UK until Xmas but as my van is an Auto-Trail, I don't think I can get it properly fixed abroad?

I haven't had an accident abroad before, or in the UK for as long as I can remember, so what happens from here? I rang Aviva and told them, they said they would get someone from their international division to call me to tell me what to do but that they wouldn't be in touch until Monday. What options am I likely to have? The GRP spare wheel cover has dents (repairable?) as does the bottom of the rear panel which is more badly damaged but still potentially repairable. I don't know much about GRP repairs. Some of the furniture could perhaps be shifted back into position but there are a couple of bits where the wood has given way, splitting the laminate covering. So they will need replacing and I wouldn't think anyone but Auto-Trail would have those parts.

Any advice about Comfort insurance / Aviva gratefully received. Glad I declared full-timing and paid the hefty premium.

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
If it was me I'd get it repaired near where you are, plenty of caravan motor home repair people in France considerably cheaper and easier provided you've got the readies that is. If you involve the insurance company you will lose your excess and get hammered come renewal time seeing that there's not a lot of firms covering full timers anyway. You should post some photos on here of the damage some one might be near you to help you out.PS if you bring it back to the UK you'll end up Homeless for about a fortnight while it gets fixed. Hope you get sorted out.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
If you have already notified the insurance people they will log it as you having an accident and will mention it when it is time for renewal, but good luck and hope you get it sorted painlessly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
the impact has put a large crack in the ply board which lines the back of the garage and has shifted the island bed and connected cupboards so the furniture is all skew-whiff.
That bit doesnt sound good even though you say everything looks good..
Cant visualize it but for internals to have shifted id be looking carefully at body panels and seams...
Hope you get sorted..
It reminded me of an old cast iron lamppost i demolished reversing a fire engine back up the street to a house id overshot ..literally desintigrated with only the smallest mark on the body work of the engine..
Still got well bollocked :LOL:
Andy.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My son wrote off our transit some years (4k), insured through another company to Aviva

They were very fair, paid out full value

Insurance through the broker was going to go up, contacted Aviva direct for a quote - the premium actually went down from previous year's premium! I asked the Aviva guy on the phone if it was correct, he said he couldn't explain but he'd put the claim details through and to go ahead.

Accidents are what insurance is for - you've already told them so I would let them handle it

Take pics of all the damage - will help when you sell

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you'll end up Homeless for about a fortnight while it gets fixed.
In your dreams......if it's moved furniture it's bad no matter how trivial it looks from the outside..
I'd say a couple of months minimum while they source any new parts and I doubt very much they will repair split and broken furniture.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It might be easier than you think to get it fixed in France.
From Google.....

Auto-Trail are a French owned subsidiary of the famous Trigano Group of companies, whose head office is in Paris.

OP
OP
1881TB

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm actually still in Spain, heading for France.

The lamp post was fine!

I have taken pictures. I wasn't going to use the insurance until I saw that the furniture had shifted, I'm amazed there isn't more visible damage on the outside.

I appreciate everyone's concern and advice and I'll let you know what happens.

OP
OP
1881TB

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
It might be easier than you think to get it fixed in France.
From Google.....

Auto-Trail are a French owned subsidiary of the famous Trigano Group of companies, whose head office is in Paris.

Blimey, just looked up Trigano who own 15 motorhome companies, all familiar names so a good chance they will share components.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Blimey, just looked up Trigano who own 15 motorhome companies, all familiar names so a good chance they will share components.
Quite. Surprised me too. One of the benefits of globalisation.
T'would be a shame to have to come back to U.K., and I'm pretty sure that French m/h owners also reverse into lamp posts.

OP
OP
1881TB

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hope you have informed the insurance as soon as possible, every way of wriggling out they will.
Yes I did. You have to make a decision quite quickly because of that clause. At first I thought perhaps it was minor but when we noticed the furniture had moved I decided to get on the phone. If I later discover that I needn't have I will just wear it. It would be worse if it turned out that the chassis was bent or something and I hadn't claimed straightaway. I am concerned about having the van off the road though, I will just have to explain my circumstances and hopefully live in the van until they have all the parts ready to fit.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not sure how old your MH is, but we asked Hymer for a price for one bit of worktop around the sink that we had damaged, that alone was £1600 without removal of old and refitting, you could even be looking at a write off if too much stuff needs to be removed / replaced / refitted

You have my sympathy this sounds like it is right out of my life stories o_O

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I feel your pain! Sorry to hear about your misfortune with a recalcitrant lamp post. :(

Hope you manage to get things sorted and that Comfort Insurance provide a decent service.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We had a claim on our motorhome insurance - only went up £3 next renewal - wish I could say the same for the car and the motorbikes :(

OP
OP
1881TB

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
@MikeD I had my Fireblade motorbike nicked years ago and only lost part of my no claims and I don't think there was a dramatic hike the following year. Luck of the draw.

OP
OP
1881TB

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Aviva have given me three options:

1. have it repaired abroad but if the repair is no good it's down to me, they will pay but won't enter into any dispute

2. Have it repaired by an approved garage in the UK - the nearest to me is Spectrum in Thurrock

3. Have a firm called SPI look at the damage back in the UK and advise how and who should handle the repair, it may be suitable for a garage nearer to me or need to go to Auto-Trail.

Sounds fair enough to me, and as the van is only 5 years old we are going to head back to UK and spend summer getting this done rather than being stuck at home over the winter. We don't want to risk a poor repair abroad or being stuck in one place and having to pay for our own accommodation. There is a limit on how long Aviva will pay for accommodation while repairs are done.

Aviva also said there was no time limit to get repairs started so we will go slowly and enjoy the journey as usual. Every cloud has a silver lining, we are looking forward to seeing friends and family again and there are some other things we want to sort in the van which are easier to tackle at home. Also looking forward to proper beer and a curry.

Has anyone any experience of SPI, Spectrum or repairers near Watford, Herts..? We will probably stay there with family while the van is off the road.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Aviva have given me three options:

1. have it repaired abroad but if the repair is no good it's down to me, they will pay but won't enter into any dispute

2. Have it repaired by an approved garage in the UK - the nearest to me is Spectrum in Thurrock

3. Have a firm called SPI look at the damage back in the UK and advise how and who should handle the repair, it may be suitable for a garage nearer to me or need to go to Auto-Trail.

Sounds fair enough to me, and as the van is only 5 years old we are going to head back to UK and spend summer getting this done rather than being stuck at home over the winter. We don't want to risk a poor repair abroad or being stuck in one place and having to pay for our own accommodation. There is a limit on how long Aviva will pay for accommodation while repairs are done.

Aviva also said there was no time limit to get repairs started so we will go slowly and enjoy the journey as usual. Every cloud has a silver lining, we are looking forward to seeing friends and family again and there are some other things we want to sort in the van which are easier to tackle at home. Also looking forward to proper beer and a curry.

Has anyone any experience of SPI, Spectrum or repairers near Watford, Herts..? We will probably stay there with family while the van is off the road.
Sorry about your damage but glad the insurers are offering help.
Good luck and hope you are on the road again asap!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I had a claim with Comfort and I arranged to get the van repaired at my Belgium Hymer dealer, ok but I had to pay and then claim back from Aviva, they took a while to pay as it was out of the norm. Premium didn't go up.

The damage does appear family major how fast were you going in reverse to that much damage. Sounds like the complete rear end needs rebuilding.

Whatever repairer you use make sure they do the GRP bits properly. Needs to be finished with colour matched gel coat, most just spray it, they will probably need to get a boat guy in.

On my last van I drove into a stone seat and took a bit chunk out of the GRP front end. Repairers wanted to spray it after repair, I found a boat guy who did it properly and what a superb job he did.

OP
OP
1881TB

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks Lenny, I wouldn't have known about the gel. It's a repair that would be easy to do half a job on, that's why I'm taking it home where I can argue the toss more effectively and benefit from the experience of those on here.

I wasn't going very fast, slower than walking pace but the van weighs about 4.5 tons and having looked at it now, it seems the force was transferred through the spare wheel and the horizontal ceiling of the garage directly onto the rear wall of the bedroom and the bed and cupboards before anything had a chance to flex in order to dissipate the impact. I don't know if I have described that very well, but what I'm getting at is the fact that a sheet of ply hit squarely on an edge transfers that force straight the way through to the opposite edge.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
@1881TB Have a look at the AW Marine / Motorhome bumpers web site (motorhomebumpers.com), particularly at their Gallery. You then can have a good idea of how capable they are. Never used them, but they seem to have carried out a wide variety of work

J

Edit - They are based on Canvey Island

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Reversed into a lamp post

If only you had asked on here first.

Many would have said "bad idea".

Some would have said "are you sure the lamp post didn't run in to you ?

A few would have said "why ?"

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
My suggestion for what it's worth is speak to Autotrail. I know their are many negative comments on the forum but when I had a reversing faux pas they were very helpful. Supplied me with genuine body panel and my 'man' was able to carry out an excellent repair.

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
I have just had Hab check and Minor warranty issues done at Autotrail factory and couldn’t fault the service and helpfulness - I was pleasantly surprised.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back