Retirement cost Motorhoming (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
What does all in home costs and all include ? Mortgauge ? House insurance ? Ect
If like us and as the OP said 3 months on 3 months off, everything, standing charges for utility's, council tax, tv licence, phone, broadband, mobile phone, house ins, mh insurance, tax, mot, service, habitation check, mortgage, life insurance, dog insurance x 3, management charge for home as it's a flat. There are a lot of costs that add up at home and still need to be paid when away.
We have used this spreadsheet from a blog I read to calculate if we can keep doing what we do and cost out everything until 85, it was a revelation.
http://ourtour.co.uk/home/our-early-retirement-viability-spreadsheet/
Fortunately for us things get even better as we age, once the dogs depart we will be loaded :D

Lin :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What does all in home costs and all include ? Mortgauge ? House insurance ? Ect
This is from the original post

"Having been told I'm being laid off this Friday got me thinking just how much I would need to do some continental traveling and still have a house"

So in my answer I included everything as that is how much you need to have a house and do some travelling, everybody is different though.

Martin

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
There's so many variables here it's impossible to predict, but we think we could live fairly comfortably for about £700 per week all in.

With the costs of the upkeep & maintenance of a house in the UK and 6 months travelling including all fuel, some campsite fees plus 12 months worth of all food, drink (including wine ;)) and other sundry expenses such as eating out, pub visits, cinema etc.I reckon the £700 a week is not far off the mark! :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
With the costs of the upkeep & maintenance of a house in the UK and 6 months travelling including all fuel, some campsite fees plus 12 months worth of all food, drink (including wine ;)) and other sundry expenses such as eating out, pub visits, cinema etc.I reckon the £700 a week is not far off the mark! :eek:

We're surprised at some people's surprise at this figure tbh, drill down & it's probably fairly accurate in our opinion.

A long, languid, leisurely, liquid lunch in a bar can easily be £40 for two thirsty folk for example . . :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We're surprised at some people's surprise at this figure tbh, drill down & it's probably fairly accurate in our opinion.

A long, languid, leisurely, liquid lunch in a bar can easily be £40 for two thirsty folk for example . . :)

In Spain ? Site i stay on in winter its only 3 euros for a pint and a large glass of wine,,it would be very liquid if i spent 40 euros,,BUSBY,,

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
In Spain ? Site i stay on in winter its only 3 euros for a pint and a large glass of wine,,it would be very liquid if i spent 40 euros,,BUSBY,,

& on the other side of the coin a San Miguel & very acceptable Tempranillo in one our fave bars in Alcudia was 9 euro - 1 year ago.

At the Oxwich Bay Hotel in Wales a pint of ale / lager & a glass of half decent wine is nearly £10 . .

Horses for courses.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
& on the other side of the coin a San Miguel & very acceptable Tempranillo in one our fave bars in Alcudia was 9 euro - 1 year ago.

At the Oxwich Bay Hotel in Wales a pint of ale / lager & a glass of half decent wine is nearly £10 . .

Horses for courses.

Well they are two establishments that i shall give a miss,,i don't mind spending but not giving it away,,,,,,Can buy a bottle of Tempranillo for a couple of euros top,,,Every one to there own,,BUSBY:D:D:D

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Really interested in this thread, we went to Spain, France and Belgium fo 3 weeks in May,motorway aires on the way down,stayedonsites while their and aires on the way home.

We don't drink alcohol, I vape but that comes from Poundland at a quid a bottle and we eat out very rarely as we choose.

Drove just over 2700 miles and spent over €1500, not including €300 stolen by Banco Popular through the revolut card.

Going back on Monday for another 3 week trip, Ypres, Luxembourg, Bad Nauheim, Oradur then up the coast toward home.

We will try to cost it out this time as we are crossing again on 27th December for around 3 months and would like a rough guide as to what it will cost.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Just done an "in depth" study of costs:-

Fixed annual household outgoings ie rates, water,gas, (ins house, cars MoHo etc) phone tv golf club etc circa £9400
Basic weekly shopping (in van or at home) - food, household supplies etc £180 per week - annualised £9360
Essentials - Booze, entertainment, meals out, shoes & handbags etc circa £100 per week:( annualised £5200
Xmas, Birthdays, (3 kids, 7 grandkids, 4 greatgrandkids :D) etc £1000
Ferrys £1500
Total £26460

Which is just over £500 per week :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
In holiday mode, it costs us £1,500 for 3 weeks to get to and from the continent and then travel around (east to Poland or west to Spain), eat, drink and pay for a few nights in campsites. Approx. £500 per week.

This does not include costs at home (bills), vehicle repairs / maintenance.

If we were going for 6 months or more, we would rent our house out and use the rent to offset house costs (insurance / repairse etc.) & contribute to our travel funds.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Our estimated costs assuming house rented, offset costs
Tax insurance mot £1000 a year, £20 a week
Diesel or taxi assuming you can't do both at once £10 a day, £70 a week
Camp or Aires average £10 a day , £70 a week
Supermarket , say £100 a week
Meals out say £20 a day, £140 a week
Two bottles wine a day £5 a day , £35 a week
£435 a week at the most as some days wouldn't spend anything.
Also you would have to take into account breakdowns, serviceing and tunnel, phone and data

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Our 77 days in Spain this winter will cost us £600 for return ferry Portsmouth Spain,,£850 site fees and £200 say for fuel,,,Food meals out and alcohol, heating and light will be less than staying at home,,BUSBY,,
Our estimated costs assuming house rented, offset costs
Tax insurance mot £1000 a year, £20 a week
Diesel or taxi assuming you can't do both at once £10 a day, £70 a week
Camp or Aires average £10 a day , £70 a week
Supermarket , say £100 a week
Meals out say £20 a day, £140 a week
Two bottles wine a day £5 a day , £35 a week
£435 a week at the most as some days wouldn't spend anything.
Also you would have to take into account breakdowns, serviceing and tunnel, phone and data

Don't think we spend £20 a week on meals out in Spain,,only use diesel when on the move otherwise it cycle or walk,,tax and insurance £500 a year,,,BUSBY,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back