LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Having been told I'm being laid off this Friday got me thinking just how much I would need to do some continental traveling and still have a house in the UK.
Im in the building trade and its not the kindest on the old body :)

So what is the least amount you would need to get by on for say 6 months of the year maybe split into a couple or 3 months at a time.

No pension is available as I'm too young, mid 50,s.

SWBO says we must have a house in the UK

Happy to wild camp for at least 50% of the time away even some time spent in the UK.

Just looking for a rough idea really

Thanks

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
There's so many variables here it's impossible to predict, but we think we could live fairly comfortably for about £700 per week all in.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
There's so many variables here it's impossible to predict, but we think we could live fairly comfortably for about £700 per week all in.

I should bl?£dy well hope so, that's nearly 10 grand more than the average wage :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Cheltenham lovey.. let your house in uk out when you are away so some income? Take redundancy £ and see how it goes? Ex pats always need builders in France as French workmen exist in different universe ( imho) xx

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Our pensions are nowhere near that and we spend 5 months of the year in Spain.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
We go away in our MH for 2 or 3 months solid at a time, 3 or 4 times per year now,totalling almost half of the year. Our house in Spain is really Base camp in between our adventures around the rest of Europe. We just about never use a campsite, we instead use aires (mostly free but now and then one that might cost a few euros per night) and lots of "wildcamping" just parking in tolerated locations. We only eat out perhaps once or twice per week when away, and our spending is at very little higher a rate than when at home. Diesel costs a bit, but we tend to drive on to another new location every two or three days, so we don't just spend the whole time batting down soulless motorways. We don't see these tours as holidays as such any longer (and so thus don't blow money) but rather just as normal living but just in other locations.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Wish i earnt £700 a week :) thinking about it that figure is way higher than we spent in New Zealand :)

I appreciate you can have many variables.

Maybe I should add don't drink much alcohol and rarely eat out. Fairly simple needs like reading and internet use.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We go away in our MH for 2 or 3 months solid at a time, 3 or 4 times per year now,totalling almost half of the year. Our house in Spain is really Base camp in between our adventures around the rest of Europe. We just about never use a campsite, we instead use aires (mostly free but now and then one that might cost a few euros per night) and lots of "wildcamping" just parking in tolerated locations. We only eat out perhaps once or twice per week when away, and our spending is at very little higher a rate than when at home. Diesel costs a bit, but we tend to drive on to another new location every two or three days, so we don't just spend the whole time batting down soulless motorways. We don't see these tours as holidays as such any longer (and so thus don't blow money) but rather just as normal living but just in other locations.

Now that just about sums up what i was thinking of.
Obviously the fuel is the added expense compared to home but I'm guessing is off set with lower utility costs.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I should bl?£dy well hope so, that's nearly 10 grand more than the average wage :)
If you're working, £50,000 a year gives £700 a week after tax & NI....

I've often heard £1,000 a month mentioned, I think that's quite achievable, although recent £ weakness might have an effect...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just has a mailshot from Brittany Ferries.

One month apartment, Costa del Sol, ferry to Bilbao £500 per person for one month, so £1000 a month. I guess the ferry is for a car not MH but with an apartment you don't want MH.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Our pensions are nowhere near that and we spend 5 months of the year in Spain.
Same here,,It all depends on mileage etc etc. If you wild camp and use aires you would get away with two sites a week so thats £120 a month,,,You don't use much gas in the summer,,,You have to eat and drink in the UK and its much cheaper in Spain. I did it for 4 years before i got any pension and although we were careful we still had a great time...Go for it your only here once,,,BUSBY:D:D

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
We go away regularly 2/3 months in Spain or Croatia plus about 75 nights away at events/rallies in the UK.
Both of us are retired and have OAP. and both have small private pensions, and we manage fine, we bought a new Elddis in May and intend to use it as often as possible. biggest cost here and in Europe is fuel, usually use aries in France and have a long stay in Spanish site as it works out far cheaper too !! this year worked out at 11 Euros including electric, regularly eat out and have a few drinks and generally enjoy ourselves.

mh55 fun said -There's so many variables here it's impossible to predict, but we think we could live fairly comfortably for about £700 per week all in.!!!

We do not have much more than that a month !! budget carefully and stay away from expensive resturant's and sites and you will be ok.
Whatever you decide have a great time.
Last thing is tour the UK there are loads of great events/rallies taking place every month for very little but a multitude of clubs where you will meet like minded folk whom you can tap into for even more advice !!

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
there is a thread on MHF -our bumble =they spell out all the costs have a read at that, £700 a week is too high

Fellraven

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Maryport
Funster No
MH
Exsis-t
Exp
4yrs
Theres a great blog on here called Our Bumble. The lady on here has done a great cost break down. Look in Blog section.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
£1000 per month BUT...
The biggest cost if you go a long way in a SHORT length of time is fuel !!
SO. Do what we do when there, is "bimble along slowly, then the fuel only dribbles away and the cost is spread out.
This sounds very obvious, but I'm a bit thick and it took me a while to work that out !!
You will find you live UP to the budget you have !!
DO IT and good luck..
Mitch. (y)(y)(y);)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Correct ! 120 nights on Magellan departing Jan 2017 is '' from '' £7k each / £116 per night :)

No drinks though :(

Just been on Magellan to the Baltic, cost us £50 per day each. We couldn't stay in a Travelodge in London and eat for that. Not sure I'd want to do more than two weeks on it though.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Just been on Magellan to the Baltic, cost us £50 per day each. We couldn't stay in a Travelodge in London and eat for that. Not sure I'd want to do more than two weeks on it though.

Did you go to Copenhagen and st Petersburg? Our friends were on the same cruise I think! Said it was slightly cold and abit choppy, lovely food though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back