Restrictive fuel buying ........ (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Picked this up on facebook, would it work ?

We are hitting £1.42 a litre in some areas now and soon we will be faced with paying £1.50 per litre. So here’s the idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign' that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS - not sellers control the market place. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one) i.e. ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to ten people. The person who sent it to me also sent it to 29 other people. If all of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 100) it will have reached 300...and if those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on. By the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it.....

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all YOU have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all (and not buy at ESSO/BP). How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell,Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Jet etc.
i.e. Boycott BP and Esso.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I've wished everyone would do this for years, and I'm pretty confident it would work!

Ady

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
two biggest oil companies (which now are one) i.e. ESSO and BP.

Where on this earth did you get that one??????????

The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.
Do you honestly think that this would make a difference to oil major marketing and pricing strategy, given that most stations are run as franchises anyway and fuel is in any case purchased on the open market at least as much as it is refined in house. The point about franchises is relevant as most oil majors have got out of physical retail as there is no profit in it for them; the money is made by big oil by getting the stuff out of the ground.

Yet another facebook daft circular letter, I am afraid. I think that this one has been doing the rounds for years.

Edit...... it is Exxon anyway....

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Interesting idea, might be worth a try.
Wonder who actually supplies the supermarkets? I saw an article that some years ago Sainsburys struck a deal with BP, don’t know if this is true.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Where on this earth did you get that one??????????

Do you honestly think that this would make a difference to oil major marketing and pricing strategy, given that most stations are run as franchises anyway and fuel is in any case purchased on the open market at least as much as it is refined in house. The point about franchises is relevant as most oil majors have got out of physical retail as there is no profit in it for them; the money is made by big oil by getting the stuff out of the ground.

Yet another facebook daft circular letter, I am afraid. I think that this one has been doing the rounds for years.

Edit...... it is Exxon anyway....

You said it before me, I ran a filling station as a franchisee, Shell, all it would have done was put me out of business along with my staff.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Similar Idea`s have been floated before, People are too self centred IMV for this to work anyway. The other side is the "majors" only supply the refinery, the refiners distribute and their network covers many outlets, not all of which are branded "theirs" Eg. Morrisons hereabouts are supplied from the Immingham refinery, nominally operated by Jet. Grangemouth (nominally BP) actually supplies half the supermarkets in Scotland!.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Filled mine up at Sainsbury just outside Derby ( Nottingham side near the road works) £121.9 per litre, if they can do it surely the bigger retailers can also. Esso garage further along was £132.9.
Not sure who supplies Sainsbury

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Similar Idea`s have been floated before, People are too self centred IMV for this to work anyway. The other side is the "majors" only supply the refinery, the refiners distribute and their network covers many outlets, not all of which are branded "theirs" Eg. Morrisons hereabouts are supplied from the Immingham refinery, nominally operated by Jet. Grangemouth (nominally BP) actually supplies half the supermarkets in Scotland!.
Grangemouth is now independent - private company; Ineos

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Filled mine up at Sainsbury just outside Derby ( Nottingham side near the road works) £121.9 per litre, if they can do it surely the bigger retailers can also. Esso garage further along was £132.9.
Not sure who supplies Sainsbury
Sainsbury York is around 10p ltr cheaper than Sainsbury Scarborough.
It's the volume of fuel sold which dictates the price.
There is a very small garage in a village 10 miles west of Scarborough who's diesel price 8 weeks ago was over £1:40 ltr...... They probably sell less than 1000 ltrs per month.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Our Local Tesco is 10p dearer than one at a multi retail outlet some 12 miles away, when asked why the local Tesco didn't reduce prices the same the manager advised that they only had to compete with local garages .

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Not able at moment to validate this or give figures but if take the vat from the price and then remove the fuel duty not much is left to cover the actual fuel cost. Then look at the business model of the selling site, supermarket with economies of scale or e.g. Shell site controlled by a franchisee and you find that the action suggested will put the franchisee out of business, even those with multiple sites. No more fuel company liveried sites, already very few independents, supermarkets get a virtual monopoly you are start to pay the price of a totally ridiculous course of action.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The only thing that ever happens when someone sends me a chain message on facebook is that the sender gets blocked.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Filled up at €1.11 today for the posh stuff :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've spotted a major flaw in the idea.

There are approximately 21million current full UK driving licences issued at the moment. The population of the UK is 65million ish.

Where the hell do the rest of the 300million come from and why should the fuel companies give a toss about the 279million of them that will never buy their fuel anyway?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not able at moment to validate this or give figures but if take the vat from the price and then remove the fuel duty not much is left to cover the actual fuel cost. Then look at the business model of the selling site, supermarket with economies of scale or e.g. Shell site controlled by a franchisee and you find that the action suggested will put the franchisee out of business, even those with multiple sites. No more fuel company liveried sites, already very few independents, supermarkets get a virtual monopoly you are start to pay the price of a totally ridiculous course of action.

A great many don't make and money on their fuel or even sell it as a loss leader which is why petrol stations are full of loads of other crap they try and tempt us into buying.

Not selling any fuel would actually help their profits in a lot of cases.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
1. I don't buy petrol.
2. There's nothing to ensure that each ten contacts are new.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
In theory OK BUT, don't we get our fuel from Asda?
I have two agency cards and the base price today is 1.07 plus the VAT
without these I would never consider buying fuel from a MSA Highway Robbery!!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
In the late 70s and early 80s , in NZ they introduced "Carless Days"
The idea was you nominated a day where you wouldn't use your car, this would cut down on usage of petrol and diesel, ergo, it would help with the countries balance of payments by importing less fuel.
They gave you a nice coloured sticker for your windscreen and everyone abided by the ruling and had the "Carless Day"

HAH! It didn't work! nearly everyone had 2 cars anyway! and those that didn't? bought an old rattletrap to use on their nominated "Carless Day"

If the public think it's a duff idea, there is no way they will go along with it, it's as easy as that.

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
There is also the fact that the fuel you take from a pump of any brand isn't necessarily that company's fuel.
Fuel companies operate exchange agreements in that sometimes it is more economical to purchase another company's fuel for a fee than to have your logistics transport your own fuel to a site.

So even if you only buy from supermarkets, there's no guarantee that the fuel isn't actually BP's anyway which Tesco have picked up under an exchange.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
The chances of people in the uk agreeing and sticking to anything is zero.
Proof in this thread, the French seem to stick together & get things done:) If I'm too expensive I sell nowt (y) not rocket science:p

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
As far as I'm aware the only reason BP keep a high street presence is to keep the brand visible. They make far more money from the Wild Bean Café chain within the filling stations than they do selling fuel. A large amount are franchised and in relation to profit would not make a single bit of difference. Downstream is where BP are making money at the moment, granted that is slowly shifting as the company recovers from Deep Water disaster. I never buy from BP anyway they always seem to be 3p more expensive than anywhere else.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back