EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I found this on the DVLA website, it says that at the moment because of Covid-19 you do not have to provide a medical Report D4 When you renew a C1 because of reaching 70. Has anyone done this and is it true, or have I missed something or ended up on the wrong page?

Renew your driving licence if you're 70 or over

You cannot use this service to renew a C1 (medium-sized vehicles) or D1 (minibus) entitlement - you must do this by post.

That link (I didn't manage to preserve it as a link here) for renewing a C1 takes you to this page:

Renew or change a lorry or bus licence

If you’re 45 or over

Because of coronavirus (COVID-19), you currently do not need to provide a medical report (form D4) to apply to renew your licence.
If your application is successful, you’ll get a 1 year licence.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
D48 is a reminder/renewal/application form that the DVLA send out to HGV etc drivers so is not applicable in your case.

I would say that you would definitely have to have a medical not sure if anything would be required,good luck trying to getting it re instated!
yes not needed. Thanks👍

Upvote 1
Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
I would say that you would definitely have to have a medical not sure if anything would be required,good luck trying to getting it re instated!
Thanks to all for interesting and helpful info.
There is no rush to renew surely.
Nowhere to go yet is there?
In our case we have postponed even buying a MH.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks to all for interesting and helpful info.
There is no rush to renew surely.
Nowhere to go yet is there?
In our case we have postponed even buying a MH.
I'm pretty sure you can't start the process until 90 days before your 70th so that's the best time to do it👍

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Had D4drivers medical Sunday 31st Jan. Posted signed for 1st Feb. Licence showing valid from Tuesday 9th on DVLA licence info site. Actual licence received Thursday 11th.
You could renew car licence on line then do medical and submit both forms to resurrect C1 later.
To get C1 after 70 will require medical.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I found this on the DVLA website, it says that at the moment because of Covid-19 you do not have to provide a medical Report D4 When you renew a C1 because of reaching 70. Has anyone done this and is it true, or have I missed something or ended up on the wrong page?

Renew your driving licence if you're 70 or over

You cannot use this service to renew a C1 (medium-sized vehicles) or D1 (minibus) entitlement - you must do this by post.

That link (I didn't manage to preserve it as a link here) for renewing a C1 takes you to this page:

Renew or change a lorry or bus licence

If you’re 45 or over

Because of coronavirus (COVID-19), you currently do not need to provide a medical report (form D4) to apply to renew your licence.
If your application is successful, you’ll get a 1 year licence.

It is not easy is it.

As I understand it and I am sure this detail is buried at the bottom of some page I have read, maybe in the notes, is that if you have passed a test for C1 you can get a 1-year renewal without a Medical just like for a C licence, but if your C1 is based on holding a B licence before 1997(Grandfather rights) then you have to do the medical.

I advised you earlier that at the time I wrote DVLA were still stating the D4 could be completed by any EU-registered doctor, unless that has changed in a couple of weeks - have you checked?

If EU doctor is still OK, just get the D2 form sent to you, download the D4 and go for a medical - and a Post Office(for the stamp)

Geoff

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
It is not easy is it.

As I understand it and I am sure this detail is buried at the bottom of some page I have read, maybe in the notes, is that if you have passed a test for C1 you can get a 1-year renewal without a Medical just like for a C licence, but if your C1 is based on holding a B licence before 1997(Grandfather rights) then you have to do the medical.

I advised you earlier that at the time I wrote DVLA were still stating the D4 could be completed by any EU-registered doctor, unless that has changed in a couple of weeks - have you checked?

If EU doctor is still OK, just get the D2 form sent to you, download the D4 and go for a medical - and a Post Office(for the stamp)

Geoff

The concession for no medical ran out at the end of December,see here.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
I have the same question as a result of the slightly confusing DVLA notice about not needing a medical. I am 70 in just less than 3 months time, and have a D4Drivers appointment next weekend. As a result of the lack of clarity phoned both DVLA and D4Drivers on Friday morning.

DVLA confirmed that you DO NEED A D4 MEDICAL REPORT and could not give an estimate of turnaround on the paperwork.
"Application in as early as possible" seemed to be the sense of the advice.

D4Drivers indicated that their understanding that it was taking 3 weeks to turnaround the paperwork but that they did not have a lot of feedback directly from customers, unsurprisingly on this specific question. The person at D4Drivers, did say that under section 88 of the Road Traffic Act of 1988, if you have sent in the application forms to DVLA and they are snagged up because of COVID you can continue to drive using the C1 entitlement. But they are not in the legal advice business so I checked further into Section 88, and of course, left my medical appointment in place.

Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act suggests that as long as the paperwork is correctly completed and with DVLA then, should they take longer than the 75 days or so I will be allowing for them to turn it around, I will still be OK to drive, pending the return of the new licence.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla.pdf

Upvote 0

Sez Lez

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Whittlesey, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 748 EB
Exp
4 years
Screenshot_20210214-093627_Samsung Internet.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My C1 expired last month.

I decided to downplate my 3850kg van to 3500kg - most similar vans were 3500kg or less

Apart from the medical my reasons were:

No problem with payload

It would allow any of my sons to drive

Increasingly more restrictions on vehicles over 3500kg (including the French stickers)

Higher toll charges

Van will be easier to sell when I decide to.

Downplating 'just' meant returning the V5 and taxing it as PLG

- 'just' - it's taken 6 months since I first sent off the V5

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Hobby
Exp
New as Sept 2019
Medicals are not required at the moment, had comfirmation of this from DVLA when i applied for my Hgv renewal last month

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
bailey autograph 745
Exp
since 2016
I turned 70 this January (23rd) and to try and get ahead of the game had the medical and sent forms off last November. I got a letter acknowledging receipt and there was a delay in processing. I then, beginning of Jan. received another letter stating they wanted me to see a cardiologist (have slightly raised blood pressure, for which I take tablets) but due to covid this would not happen any time soon. Although I am allowed to still drive as they are processing my application and my GP states ok as long as I don't experience any problems whilst driving, if I am stopped and asked to produce I can't so would therefore be guilty of 'failing to produce licence when asked to do so'. I think it will also prevent me form driving abroad, which at the moment is not an issue as not going anywhere any time soon!

Upvote 0

Leisure man

Free Member
Feb 19, 2018
Funster No
Have a read here👍

Our doctor, currently unavailable, charges just over twice the price of the nearest HGV driving instruction/ Medical test centre. It’s a 15 mile run but they know every detail of what’s required and extremely helpful.

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
My doctor charged £200 last time I had it done. My wife had hers done last year at D4 for half that price... I know where I will be having my next one done!

Upvote 0

Burstner Viseo

Free Member
Aug 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 2010
I am 73 years old and had to renew my licence in November. My doctor was unable to offer me a medical on this occasion (which had cost me £135.03 as previously) so I went to D4Drivers and booked a medical for £55 on line. I got my appointment the same week and it was a very easy process at a local hotel as they are still able to operate during Covid lockdown. I sent the completed forms off to DVLA and had my new licence back within 10 days. Whatever relaxations may be applicable in the UK do not apply in Europe where there is need for a fully valid licence to drive. https://d4drivers.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIztvo95zp7gIVmsaGCh0kpQgqEAAYASAAEgIok_D_BwE

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Medicals are not required at the moment, had comfirmation of this from DVLA when i applied for my Hgv renewal last month

This applies to HGV drivers only,you need a medical for renewing C1 entitlement.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2018
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Caravanning since 1987, Motorhoming since 2018
I have just gone through this as my license renews in March.
Sent in the forms in early January, minus the D4 medical. They were sent back to me a couple of weeks later, with a D4 form, saying that I needed to have the medical.
I rang the DVLA about this as I thought that the medical was not required, and was told that that requirement expired on the 31st December 2020.
Booked and had a medical on the 4th February 2021 and then sent all the forms back in the envelope they provided.
Now waiting for the license to come back.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
I turned 70 this January (23rd) and to try and get ahead of the game had the medical and sent forms off last November. I got a letter acknowledging receipt and there was a delay in processing. I then, beginning of Jan. received another letter stating they wanted me to see a cardiologist (have slightly raised blood pressure, for which I take tablets) but due to covid this would not happen any time soon. Although I am allowed to still drive as they are processing my application and my GP states ok as long as I don't experience any problems whilst driving, if I am stopped and asked to produce I can't so would therefore be guilty of 'failing to produce licence when asked to do so'. I think it will also prevent me form driving abroad, which at the moment is not an issue as not going anywhere any time soon!
Was in a similar position on my C1 renewal (due in April2020)
filled in the D4 very carefully, to make it as foolproof as possible for the D4 drivers medical (£55 GP £100)
sent the completed paperwork in, received acknowledgement and then another letter stating they needed more information from a cardiologist, Although I had an up to date medical by my NHS cardiologist 4 weeks before the renewal date, He was fairly certain the DVLA were going to want a stress test, but as Covid had by now taken off my cardiologist knew of no Cardio Dept within the NHS that were carrying out NON MEDICAL ESSENTIAL STRESS TESTS, and a few days later another DVLA letter stating they required me to have a cardiac stress test but due to Covid restrictions they were not requesting any NHS hospitals to carry out the test on their behalf, BUT I was still entitled to carry on driving with C! entitlement until Sept 2020, but only in the UK, In August yet another DVLA letter saying the extension was increased until February 2021,
In December (you guessed it ) another DVLA letter giving me a local hospital to contact to arrange the stress test, which I did, When I asked them how long they had been doing these tests, I was told they had only recently restarted doing them as they were not a (clinical requirement instigated by a cardiologist) the DVLA also pay the NHS to perform the tests estimated at a £1000 a test.
I passed Ok and 2 weeks later got my new C1 from the DVLA, although my licence had expired in April 2020 the new licence was dated from the date of issue January 2021 for 3 years, hope this helps with the undoubted stress that dealing with the DVLA C! licence renewal causes a lot of motorhomers

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
There seems to be some confusion between:
1) HGV renewals by lorry drivers where there is a D4 relaxation and
2) Renewals of C1 “grandfather” rights where there is no relaxation, both D2 and D4 are needed.
The earlier extension stopped on 31/12/2020.

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 A Class
Exp
Since 2013
You may be right about that.

In short, there is an inconsistency in the DVLA website.
On the one hand, looking up renewal at 70 with C1 takes you to this page that says no medical report for the moment.
On the other hand, that page says it is for drivers of lorries and buses.
One of those (at least) is wrong. Is it that the link for renewal at 70 with C1 should not have taken you to that page because it is not right for that situation? Or is it that the writer of that page was using the phrase "lorry or bus licence" loosely to mean any licence over 3500kg that needs a medical?

That is my question and I don't see how to find the correct answer except by calling DVLA (I can feel the will to live draining away), or finding someone who has done it. Hence my question here.
I’m 65 and just renewed my HGV Class 1 Licence this month and a D4 medical report was compulsory to renew It it. I’ll have to do this every year from now on to renew rather than every three years Due to age. Not sure about the over 70’s C1 situation. I haven’t researched it as it doesn’t affect me for a few more years!

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Had a medical by D4drivers doc in November, received a later with documents they had asked for within a week.
First week in January spoke to my go who advised me he had received a letter from DVLA re fitness to drive ( I had three stents fitted fours years ago) he returned them to DVLA.
He then advise I can continue driving under rule 88 as said I was perfectly fit to drive.
To date I have tried calling the DVLA telephone number 143 times !! but can’t get a human to answer !! Bloody robots tells you to Covid things are taking longer and then hangs up on you.
Have written to them but as yet no answer , now five weeks since letter sent.
Hopeless is not the word that I would choose to use, ****** disgraceful shower of useless Barstewards is not even enough.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back