Remapping a fiat (6 Viewers)

Jul 15, 2015
Isleham Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2012
my 2015 2.3 multi jet was remapped it had to have the ECU modified as they said it wasn’t a straight plug in and remap. Works well slight fuel improvement but the main thing for me is the improvement when towing the little car behind us we don’t have to change down to 4th gear on long motorway hills anymore.

Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
Hi, l had our 2005 Fiat Ducato remapped and the difference was noticeable better fuel consumption and more power, l used to get mid 20's mpg, after the remapped was made l got as an average 25-28 mpg, cruising at mid 50's mph, as for power and torque, instead of constantly changing gear, she just pulled, this was on our Swift Sundance 590 RS, from memory it was about £300,
Morning yes get it done got the same results as Popty we live in the west midlands and have the garage number if you require it

Sep 19, 2019
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Bavaria i740c Allure
Exp
A Class
If you are considering 're-mapping' for more power and economy then you MUST consider TDI Tuning.
Over the last 7 years I have used their 'boxes' on 2 motorhomes (both Fiat based) and a VW Transporter.
They supply Tuning boxes mapped correctly for your own vehicle which are fitted 'in-line' between your fuel and turbo sensor leads. Totally simple to fit...and remove...and offering one 'mapped' setting and then press button adjustments for either more power OR more economy.
I have Always left mine in the 'stock' position.

Improvements are more mpg and more pulling power (torque). The BIG problem is keeping your foot off the 'loud' pedal as the improved performance can be a bit of a buzz.
Driven sensibly our, fairly heavy, A class has gone from around 24-25 mpg to 28-30 mpg. I am Not a slow driver though!

If you sell your vehicle then you can 'easily' remove the box and leads and fit to another vehicle. Just send the box back and TDI charge about £100 for the changeover. I have changed over once.....very simple.

By the way, I am in No Way connected to TDI, nor have I ever received discount from them for recommending their product....Beleive me I have tried.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
Had our 2004 Burstner A747 5t 2.8 Jtd 127hp remapped years ago at one of the shows.
It was a totally different vehicle and became an absolute pleasure to drive.
Honestly couldn’t tell you if the mpg increased but it certainly wasn’t any worse.
Never had any problems with the clutch or anything else.

Recently changed to a 2016 2.3 Multi-jet Fiat Rapido 3.5t which I would like remapping.
I would like to know if anyone here has experience of a company around Wigan or Preston area who they could recommend.
I had mine done by Quantum at one of the shows, they said that they cover the country.

It was done 4yrs ago and at the time, the van was about a month old with 250 miles on the clock. It's been excellent, much better on hills(less gear change) and a few mpg better overall. They quoted 130 to 158bhp. Without a rolling road i have to take their word for it but there was a noticeable uplift.

There have been no issues at subsequent main dealer visits for servicing and recalls.

Terry

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
So all said and done it seems I have made the right decision .
it’s an old van no fancy bits stuck to the engine so every little helps.
and hopefully it will.

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
If you are considering 're-mapping' for more power and economy then you MUST consider TDI Tuning.
Over the last 7 years I have used their 'boxes' on 2 motorhomes (both Fiat based) and a VW Transporter.
They supply Tuning boxes mapped correctly for your own vehicle which are fitted 'in-line' between your fuel and turbo sensor leads. Totally simple to fit...and remove...and offering one 'mapped' setting and then press button adjustments for either more power OR more economy.
I have Always left mine in the 'stock' position.

Improvements are more mpg and more pulling power (torque). The BIG problem is keeping your foot off the 'loud' pedal as the improved performance can be a bit of a buzz.
Driven sensibly our, fairly heavy, A class has gone from around 24-25 mpg to 28-30 mpg. I am Not a slow driver though!

If you sell your vehicle then you can 'easily' remove the box and leads and fit to another vehicle. Just send the box back and TDI charge about £100 for the changeover. I have changed over once.....very simple.

By the way, I am in No Way connected to TDI, nor have I ever received discount from them for recommending their product....Beleive me I have tried.

something like this ?
however only needs Microsoft Windows .

if it used other operating systems I would most likely had gone for one of theses.

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
I had mine done by Quantum at one of the shows, they said that they cover the country.

It was done 4yrs ago and at the time, the van was about a month old with 250 miles on the clock. It's been excellent, much better on hills(less gear change) and a few mpg better overall. They quoted 130 to 158bhp. Without a rolling road i have to take their word for it but there was a noticeable uplift.

There have been no issues at subsequent main dealer visits for servicing and recalls.

Terry
Just be careful if you are doing a remap that is not recognised by the manufacturer, it may void your warranty if any engine claim is made.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
It seems the fiat Ducato 2.3 is a common van that is routinely remapped because it has the capability of being remapped to handle heavier loads. I.e. a 3.5 ton motorhome ..
Yes the 2.3 seems to respond very well to a remapping, but the 2.2 is a no-no.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Why the ford 2.2?

It can be had from the factory in 155bhp so which not chip the 125/130bhp model?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

I had our Peugeot Boxer 2.2 hdi Elddis remapped 4 years ago by Quantum and they gave no indication not to, and I have just done a Google search for "remap a peugeot boxer 2.2 hdi problems" and 5 pages into the search and not a dicky bird on any problems caused by remapping them, so where has your information come from?

Yankee 19

Free Member
Jan 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
YTMHfun
Remapping a motorhome .

It has been suggested to me in respect of fuel prices as they are.
That a remap could help with fuel economy and a little extra power. Not much on either.

Is there such a thing as a remap for a Fiat Ducato 2.2. 2003. Diesal engine. ?

Anyone here on the forum had a remap and did it make any difference .

I know I will be getting OH you must tell the insurance company.

And Cost wise may not be regained by fuel savings.
But let’s do this one stage at a time.

There are companies near me that do this sort of thing.
And so far as costs go it will be what it will be.

But the burning question is will it improve fuel and performance or destroy the engine
Over the long or short term.

I have not asked the company that demos the remapping as I expect them to say everything
Would be o.k .

But will it ?
I have a plug in unit for sale. It was on my Ducato 2.3 2005. It improved power and increased fuel mpg by 4mpg. It cost over £200 but I’m selling for £90. It is very easy to fit and can removed just as easy.” Reason for sale now have a new MH and no longer needed.

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
I have a plug in unit for sale. It was on my Ducato 2.3 2005. It improved power and increased fuel mpg by 4mpg. It cost over £200 but I’m selling for £90. It is very easy to fit and can removed just as easy.” Reason for sale now have a new MH and no longer needed.
Is this the alternative to a series 1 remapp

Oct 20, 2021
Framlingham, Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 774
Exp
Since 2017
TDI Tuning in Chelmsford can supply a plug & play tuning box. They can fit if you prefer. About £300 a few years back, they fitted to my Ducato 130 multi-jet auto which had pitiful performance and poor mpg. Now matches 150 performance, more than enough torque and couple more miles to the gallon.

Sep 19, 2019
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Bavaria i740c Allure
Exp
A Class
something like this ?
however only needs Microsoft Windows .

if it used other operating systems I would most likely had gone for one of theses.

Sorry but I have NO idea what you are talking about!

The TDI boxes are totally sealed to the user...there is NO PROGRAMMING or anything like that!
The boxes come SET to your own motor. On this box though there is the ability to go 'up or down' the power scale from the standard (middle) setting., It is a push button and light system.

I have Never found the need to change this from the 'stock' setting as it comes from TDI.

I had my caddy van 'chipped' by a local guy as he owed me a favour and it cost me peanuts. It was worth doing but I cannot 'Remove' it with ought having a further re-map.
If I/we do ever change our M/H then we can just take the box from this one, and have it re-set to another........not that I think we will be upgrading now...lol!

TDI every time.

Jul 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Smilely Hymer B524
Exp
Not enough
I have Just purchased a Hymer B524, how do I know what BHP my 2003 2.8 Fiat engine is? ie 127BHP or the larger BHP version?

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Sorry but I have NO idea what you are talking about!

The TDI boxes are totally sealed to the user...there is NO PROGRAMMING or anything like that!
The boxes come SET to your own motor. On this box though there is the ability to go 'up or down' the power scale from the standard (middle) setting., It is a push button and light system.

I have Never found the need to change this from the 'stock' setting as it comes from TDI.

I had my caddy van 'chipped' by a local guy as he owed me a favour and it cost me peanuts. It was worth doing but I cannot 'Remove' it with ought having a further re-map.
If I/we do ever change our M/H then we can just take the box from this one, and have it re-set to another........not that I think we will be upgrading now...lol!

TDI every time.
Self tuning box. Looks to be the sam3 as you have described.

although it might not be for the TDI. I don’t know but the box. You can buy sound# the same according to the advert.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
I have Just purchased a Hymer B524, how do I know what BHP my 2003 2.8 Fiat engine is? ie 127BHP or the larger BHP version?
The Burstner we had was the 127bhp right hand drive. If we had bought a left hand drive in Germany these were 147hp as standard.
If yours is RHD I would assume it’s the 127bhp, although you should never assume.
Put your reg in eurocarparts.com that should tell you.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
I had our Peugeot Boxer 2.2 hdi Elddis remapped 4 years ago by Quantum and they gave no indication not to, and I have just done a Google search for "remap a peugeot boxer 2.2 hdi problems" and 5 pages into the search and not a dicky bird on any problems caused by remapping them, so where has your information come from?
Sorry that you disagree & I'm really pleased that your remap has born good fruit. I do like being wrong where bad news is concerned & I really mean that.
The info that I was talking about was related to the Peugeot mapping of the 2.2 which was different to Fords. The Peugeot engines were the subject of many warranty claims & seemingly led to the 2.2 being dropped in favour of the more reliable 2.3 engine.
I can't find the info I'm looking for at the moment, but I shall try to dig it out for you.

Hope this helps, kind regards...Robert.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry that you disagree & I'm really pleased that your remap has born good fruit. I do like being wrong where bad news is concerned & I really mean that.
The info that I was talking about was related to the Peugeot mapping of the 2.2 which was different to Fords. The Peugeot engines were the subject of many warranty claims & seemingly led to the 2.2 being dropped in favour of the more reliable 2.3 engine.
I can't find the info I'm looking for at the moment, but I shall try to dig it out for you.

Hope this helps, kind regards...Robert.

It's not a case of disagreeing with you Robert, just interested in where the information is and has come from because I can not find any information relating to the Peugeot 2.2 hdi Ford Puma engines that you speak of.
Hopefully, you can find your sources on the subject and whether those problems are still relevant or were rectified.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
known as an issue on the puma engine in 2014

horror story caused by overfueling the puma 2.2

plenty more on here if you search

There was another member had to fork out for a new engine because of the same issue

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
known as an issue on the puma engine in 2014

horror story caused by overfueling the puma 2.2

plenty more on here if you search

There was another member had to fork out for a new engine because of the same issue

All Ford, nothing relating to Peugeot recalls even the oil pump recall was Ford, no recall on the Peugeot.

Last edited:

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Sure there are many issues with the fiat 2.3 and the MB 2.2 engines....

Dpf is the real pita on the transit.

Cheers James

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Sure there are many issues with the fiat 2.3 and the MB 2.2 engines....

Dpf is the real pita on the transit.

Cheers James
I understand that new Ducatos for 2022 will now be using the Peugeot 2.2 not the Fiat? 2.3. Perhaps the reason for changing engine. What are peoples views on the Pug 2.2?

Last edited:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
It's not a case of disagreeing with you Robert, just interested in where the information is and has come from because I can not find any information relating to the Peugeot 2.2 hdi Ford Puma engines that you speak of.
Hopefully, you can find your sources on the subject and whether those problems are still relevant or were rectified.
I've had a good root around on tinternet & can't find what I was looking for, so perhaps its a bit of brain fog (wouldn't be the first time lol) but I will still browse about, if only to clear it in my own head.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Going back to the Celtic tuning self modification. I note they take a copy of your original map before supplying a revised map. Does anyone know if this is just to know what original map is used or are any self learned values used to setup or influence map choice.
Fiat 2017 2.3 130 engine

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Remapping a motorhome .

It has been suggested to me in respect of fuel prices as they are.
That a remap could help with fuel economy and a little extra power. Not much on either.

Is there such a thing as a remap for a Fiat Ducato 2.2. 2003. Diesal engine. ?

Anyone here on the forum had a remap and did it make any difference .

I know I will be getting OH you must tell the insurance company.

And Cost wise may not be regained by fuel savings.
But let’s do this one stage at a time.

There are companies near me that do this sort of thing.
And so far as costs go it will be what it will be.

But the burning question is will it improve fuel and performance or destroy the engine
Over the long or short term.

I have not asked the company that demos the remapping as I expect them to say everything
Would be o.k .

But will it ?
I fitted a TDI tuning unit in my Ducatto it has 7 settings on it depending on what kind of driving you are doing i.e. Lots of hills or long motorway driving I've never had it off setting no 4 seems to work ok lots of power and roughly 28- 32 mph that's in a big Adria

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I understand that new Ducatos for 2022 will now be using the Peugeot 2.2 not the Fiat? 2.3. Perhaps the reason for changing engine. What are peoples views on the Pug 2.2?
In the 125bhp model its a bit gruff, however when chipped it's sweeter rather like a VW 2.0 Vs the 1.9tdi.

It's been around for 15 years so fairly robust. The early euro 6 models had problems but they will have been ironed out by now.

Cheers James

Jul 13, 2020
Near Ashby De La Zouch
Funster No
MH
Elddis 250
Exp
Max engine HP is only produced at something like 4500 to 5500rpm, any more and engine rev limiter takes over ( I don't drive at those rpm).
Torque at your comfortable driving style is what matters and this is what an engine should be tuned for. However for a given engine ultimate power is limited by its design, efficiency and the ability to dispose of surplus heat generated by burning fuel.

Apr 25, 2017
Sandy, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2016
If you have an ordinary re-mapping or a plug-in type of re-mapping module, does it change the road speed at which the "Change gear" message flashes up?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back