Remapping a fiat (8 Viewers)

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Why isn't the engine tuned for optimum performance by the manufacturer? is the obvious question here.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Why isn't the engine tuned for optimum performance by the manufacturer? is the obvious question here.
Differing grades of fuel and environments apparently means they have to do a one size fits all approach.

There is also the fact more power means more wear on components.

Also, they can charge less for something with lower power then charge much more for a simple electronic change in power at the factory.

That said, if tuning remaps are so good, I am also in the camp that says the manufacturer would have already sorted it, so I have never bothered.

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
It could be a case of each country have their own requirements for each vehicle .
also some engine blocks are made for more than one type of hp.

but it seems that most engines are % 20 powered under there capacity. Why is a good question.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Question answered here. And looks to be the best answer I can find.

can remapping damage my motorhome .. seems not as it will never be driven at top speed .

this section may be why it was not mapped in manufacture

The problem with the ECU’s original software​

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
I am sure now there can not be much else to ask on remapping it’s going to be a case of. do it or don’t do it.

there will always be members that say yes it’s a good thing and again members that say a bad thing.

I based my decision on what I read both for and against remapping and then asked professional impartial garages about it none said it was a bad idea. Then asked for opinions on the forum then made my decision.

it’s not a racing car never will be . Never going to be driving at top speed as the law states 60 mph but would like to get up hills in the swift sundance 2003 motorhome.

coupled with the fact that it will be a well maintained and serviced motorhome as can possible be seen by other postings I have made. So no problems.

So The for’s won .

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Your answer in in post #34

section

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
So if one opts for a Ducato 160hp or even a180hp over the standard 140hp are we just paying an extortionate amount for a for a Fiat Factory remap or are there other modifications involved as well such as turbo etc?

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Your answer in in post #34

section

Money they can see a van with higher bhp for more.

Also fleet owners don't want company vans thrashed / damaged / written off by idiots who drive pedal to the metal....

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I had my hymer starline remapped by a local mechanic who has been doing it for years with a great reputation. My van is now at 200bhp and 400 little torkies. Makes a huge difference. Much less gear changes and hills aren’t a problem. I’m happy with it big time. 👍🥃🦶

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
beware remapping the ford puma engine as fitted to some peugeots. There was a major issue 3 or 4 years ago with the mapping from the factory. Under load, they can self destruct, so peugeot did a huge recall to re-map the engines to hopefully solve the problem from happening. Re-mapping them to up the power output "could" easily put the fault back on again

Heavier vans with smaller engines look good on paper for economy, but tend to be lacking in the power department. Increasing torque at the motor though squeezes that extra power through the same undersized clutch to the gearbox though. Push it just a tiny bit too far and suddenly that clutch will soon complain and let go.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
When manufacturers offer what appears to be the same engine with differing power and torque outputs, they are not simple mapping upgrades, common internal changes include and are not limited to the oiling system, pistons, compression ratio, injectors, turbo along with the associated electronics.
Any power or torque increase claimed without the use of a dynamometer or rolling road are at best theoretical.

Apr 12, 2015
south devon
Funster No
MH
globecar pvc
Exp
complete novice
i had our 2014 ducato re mapped from 130 to 156bhp last year.best thing ever especially for the hills down here in devon, and its increased mpg (33)
A few years ago we took out a mitsubishi diesel car for a test drive.10 mins into test drive the salesman asked what i thought, reply was underpowered, so he opened glove, flicked a switch and wow what a difference.
a few minutes later flicked again. switch 1 +£2400 switch 2 +£3000 on car price!!!! no mechanical difference
on vehicle just a £3000 electronics mapping .
i was told by mechanic the fiat engine in our van is the same (130) as the 150 and the 180 so no prob re mapping. Its a motorhome, we drive it like we own it not stole it so expect clutch not to be a problem
enjoy the new power(y);)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When I was thinking about the remap I did read what I could see on the forum.

this post came up in April 2015. So shows I was looking and it was one of the posts of many saying they had good.

results that made me consider it some more .

done now but as he told me can also be undone.

so far as insurance goes he said it was upto me to inform the insurance company.

but the remap does not include information like whom when where .

it’s not a racing car. But I may do it for piece of mind .
I will update this thread when I know .
The only thing I would warn you about is the clutch
Always make sure you are right off the peddle before hitting the throttle, and avoid, if possible, pulling up a hil in too higher gear.. the extra power will overwhelm the clutch
I have had my 2.8 fiat done and now the 2.3
Been happy with the remap both times and onh the 2.3 went from an average 19mpg to a ALMOST 22mpg. Does not sound a lot but it paid for its self in les than a year
I should mention this is in a 5.25t tag axle van that is always fully freighted

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
When manufacturers offer what appears to be the same engine with differing power and torque outputs, they are not simple mapping upgrades, common internal changes include and are not limited to the oiling system, pistons, compression ratio, injectors, turbo along with the associated electronics.
Any power or torque increase claimed without the use of a dynamometer or rolling road are at best theoretical.
If that is the case surely an after market re map without the factories additional changes would throw up issues down the line?

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
they do the work either at your home or work I guess the answer No

it is not exactly a sports car that needs as much as one can get out of it. So there for does not need any additional parts
hence no need to be tested on a rolling road.

if additional parts were fitted like a bigger exhaust and hi tech air and carbs ect I expect I would need a rolling road test.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Still doesn't answer how they get the figures

Usually, when a remap is first written, it's done on a rolling road, and if the same remap is then applied to another vehicle that's the same, then the expectation is that the BHP and torque figure will be in the same ballpark. (y)

Whenever we had race cars remapped it was always done live on a rolling road.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Still doesn't answer how they get the figures
The guys that do a generic remap at your home download the map from a company that have actually had the similar generic vehicle on the rolling road. So a fiat ducato van is tested, giving base figures and then slowly adjusted to reach the sweet spot you are looking for. It does not however take account of a vehicle being fully loaded all the time. You end up with a theoretical torque figure which is rarely met

A better company will have optional maps for the vehicle, which can be adjusted within tolerance on the laptop. These vehicles are never going to fit on a rolling road though, so nobody will ever see a perfect map

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Had our 2004 Burstner A747 5t 2.8 Jtd 127hp remapped years ago at one of the shows.
It was a totally different vehicle and became an absolute pleasure to drive.
Honestly couldn’t tell you if the mpg increased but it certainly wasn’t any worse.
Never had any problems with the clutch or anything else.

Recently changed to a 2016 2.3 Multi-jet Fiat Rapido 3.5t which I would like remapping.
I would like to know if anyone here has experience of a company around Wigan or Preston area who they could recommend.

Jul 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Smilely Hymer B524
Exp
Not enough
Can anyone recommend a company within the Derbyshire area.

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
Wasn’t there a thread about clutches slipping after having the mapping done🤷🏼‍♂️

Had the car done but wouldn’t do the motorhome, as it pulls slovelly as it is 👍🏻
My 2.8 has been mapped and as we have only owned it a short time have not taken it on a long trip. It had a new clutch fitted about a year ago by a reputable company as we have the receipts to show but a couple of times whilst giving it a bit too much welly I thought I could feel the clutch slip and wondered the same thing. It pulls away like a train, the acceleration is outstanding but I just worry there is too more torque for the clutch to handle. I will be watching with interest when we get away later in the year.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
So if one opts for a Ducato 160hp or even a180hp over the standard 140hp are we just paying an extortionate amount for a for a Fiat Factory remap or are there other modifications involved as well such as turbo etc?

the fiat 150 & 180 are different to the 130 , differences inc turbo / pistons & cam

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
My 2.8 has been mapped and as we have only owned it a short time have not taken it on a long trip. It had a new clutch fitted about a year ago by a reputable company as we have the receipts to show but a couple of times whilst giving it a bit too much welly I thought I could feel the clutch slip and wondered the same thing. It pulls away like a train, the acceleration is outstanding but I just worry there is too more torque for the clutch to handle. I will be watching with interest when we get away later in the year.

change down when you should & don’t hang on to gears too long esp on inclines & you should ok

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
beware remapping the ford puma engine as fitted to some peugeots. There was a major issue 3 or 4 years ago with the mapping from the factory. Under load, they can self destruct, so peugeot did a huge recall to re-map the engines to hopefully solve the problem from happening. Re-mapping them to up the power output "could" easily put the fault back on again

Heavier vans with smaller engines look good on paper for economy, but tend to be lacking in the power department. Increasing torque at the motor though squeezes that extra power through the same undersized clutch to the gearbox though. Push it just a tiny bit too far and suddenly that clutch will soon complain and let go.
Wasn't that the 2.0 model with a wet cam belt????

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Here is an update as they were in the area did it now less. £ 50. As they were also making a saving

now
BHP WAS 110. Now. 144. plus 34

NM. WAS 300. Now. 390. Plus 90

hope this will make a difference.

engine check no error codes recorded now and they can’t see any in the past.

so all good I hope and all within the safe parameters .
Did you use eMotion?

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
Also the 2.2 motor is the Ford Puma engine, I have one in my small van.
If it’s definitely the puma engine then the options are endless as this is fitted to land rover defenders. The engine ecu “should” be the same, ask on a Land Rover forum for anyone with a NANOCOM. If they can read it through the obd port then there are a few downloadable files to upload to the ecu. Just make sure you take a backup first otherwise you will have a doorstop!

Dec 20, 2019
Nympsfield, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise, A class
Exp
We had our Boxer 05 remapped a couple of years ago, it was the best thing we could have done. No more changing gear all the time and fuel economy much better.

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Had our 2004 Burstner A747 5t 2.8 Jtd 127hp remapped years ago at one of the shows.
It was a totally different vehicle and became an absolute pleasure to drive.
Honestly couldn’t tell you if the mpg increased but it certainly wasn’t any worse.
Never had any problems with the clutch or anything else.

Recently changed to a 2016 2.3 Multi-jet Fiat Rapido 3.5t which I would like remapping.
I would like to know if anyone here has experience of a company around Wigan or Preston area who they could recommend.
As recommended do a google search for Celtic tuning they have remapped all over the country.
was recommended to me in post number #3.

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Can anyone recommend a company within the Derbyshire area.
As recommended do a google search for Celtic tuning they have remapped all over the country.
was recommended to me in post number #3.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back