Remapping a fiat (1 Viewer)

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Remapping a motorhome .

It has been suggested to me in respect of fuel prices as they are.
That a remap could help with fuel economy and a little extra power. Not much on either.

Is there such a thing as a remap for a Fiat Ducato 2.2. 2003. Diesal engine. ?

Anyone here on the forum had a remap and did it make any difference .

I know I will be getting OH you must tell the insurance company.

And Cost wise may not be regained by fuel savings.
But let’s do this one stage at a time.

There are companies near me that do this sort of thing.
And so far as costs go it will be what it will be.

But the burning question is will it improve fuel and performance or destroy the engine
Over the long or short term.

I have not asked the company that demos the remapping as I expect them to say everything
Would be o.k .

But will it ?

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Remapping a motorhome .

It has been suggested to me in respect of fuel prices as they are.
That a remap could help with fuel economy and a little extra power. Not much on either.

Is there such a thing as a remap for a Fiat Ducato 2.2. 2003. Diesal engine. ?

Anyone here on the forum had a remap and did it make any difference .

I know I will be getting OH you must tell the insurance company.

And Cost wise may not be regained by fuel savings.
But let’s do this one stage at a time.

There are companies near me that do this sort of thing.
And so far as costs go it will be what it will be.

But the burning question is will it improve fuel and performance or destroy the engine
Over the long or short term.

I have not asked the company that demos the remapping as I expect them to say everything
Would be o.k .

But will it ?
Hi, l had our 2005 Fiat Ducato remapped and the difference was noticeable better fuel consumption and more power, l used to get mid 20's mpg, after the remapped was made l got as an average 25-28 mpg, cruising at mid 50's mph, as for power and torque, instead of constantly changing gear, she just pulled, this was on our Swift Sundance 590 RS, from memory it was about £300,

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I'd can be done, I had my 2.8jtd remapped. Wether you can get more power and more MPG at the same time, I doubt it. I used Celtic tuning, check out their web page and put your registration in for options.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Had our 2013 Boxer based MH re-mapped which improved the power and a small gain in MPG.
Last year I fitted an EGR valve blanking plate, the restrictor type rather than the full blanking, and that made a big difference for little money in pulling power with the turbo spooling up quicker.

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
I'd can be done, I had my 2.8jtd remapped. Wether you can get more power and more MPG at the same time, I doubt it. I used Celtic tuning, check out their web page and put your registration in for options.
Just sent off the quote form. So maybe soon I will get to know more about it.

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just received another Option from Celtic tuning.

but requires windows computer so not going down that road for now maybe when
it supports Apple Mac then I will consider it

the price I have received for the stage 1 remap

The cost of the remap is £295.00 all-inclusive for which we travel to your location whether it is home or work place.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Just received another Option from Celtic tuning.

but requires windows computer so not going down that road for now maybe when
it supports Apple Mac then I will consider it

the price I have received for the stage 1 remap

The cost of the remap is £295.00 all-inclusive for which we travel to your location whether it is home or work place.

I took mine to my local MOT station, he is a Celtic tuning agent, plugged his laptop onto van.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Also the 2.2 motor is the Ford Puma engine, I have one in my small van.

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Now booked work due. 14 Feb.

coming to my home address to do the remapping.

very fast service email to ask price. Return email. Booked email all done and dusted in less than 20 minutes .

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Great I had one on my 2.2 and it made the world of difference. Enjoy!!

When it was removed due to dpf issues it was like it was in limp home mode.

Need it putting back on and the speed limiter removing!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Finally, after much thinking, had our 2.3 multijet remapped last year by a Quantum guy at the Peterborough Show. Immediately noticed much better pulling power making it much more pleasant to drive - fewer gear changes. Also the motor seems to run a little "sweeter" - the old-timers will know what I mean. Since then we've not done a lot of mileage and most of it has been messing around, no decent trips. Hasn't really improved the mpg in spite of my attempts not to "use" the additional power too much. Still happy I had it done though.

Last edited:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Wasn’t there a thread about clutches slipping after having the mapping done🤷🏼‍♂️

Had the car done but wouldn’t do the motorhome, as it pulls slovelly as it is 👍🏻

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We had our 2013 2.3 multijet remapped after it had clocked 8k, before we struggled to get 24mpg and it was hard work driving it along roads with lots of hills like the A30 in Cornwall, up and down the gearbox to keep the speed up.
After the remap and 500 miles it was a different vehicle to drive, was now getting 29 -31mpg and we could now just cruise up those hills without changing gear.

Ours was done by Diesel Bob don't know if they are still in business but they transformed our Fiat, never had any clutch problems etc.

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Here is an update as they were in the area did it now less. £ 50. As they were also making a saving

now
BHP WAS 110. Now. 144. plus 34

NM. WAS 300. Now. 390. Plus 90

hope this will make a difference.

engine check no error codes recorded now and they can’t see any in the past.

so all good I hope and all within the safe parameters .

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Here we go, just for awareness…..

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
We had our 2013 2.3 multijet remapped after it had clocked 8k, before we struggled to get 24mpg and it was hard work driving it along roads with lots of hills like the A30 in Cornwall, up and down the gearbox to keep the speed up.
After the remap and 500 miles it was a different vehicle to drive, was now getting 29 -31mpg and we could now just cruise up those hills without changing gear.

Ours was done by Diesel Bob don't know if they are still in business but they transformed our Fiat, never had any clutch problems etc.
When I was thinking about the remap I did read what I could see on the forum.

this post came up in April 2015. So shows I was looking and it was one of the posts of many saying they had good.

results that made me consider it some more .

done now but as he told me can also be undone.

so far as insurance goes he said it was upto me to inform the insurance company.

but the remap does not include information like whom when where .

it’s not a racing car. But I may do it for piece of mind .
I will update this thread when I know .

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Here is an update as they were in the area did it now less. £ 50. As they were also making a saving

now
BHP WAS 110. Now. 144. plus 34

NM. WAS 300. Now. 390. Plus 90

hope this will make a difference.

engine check no error codes recorded now and they can’t see any in the past.

so all good I hope and all within the safe parameters .
How do they get these figures? Does it have to go on a rolling road?

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Anyone had it done and have the Fiat Comfortmatic gearbox?

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
How do they get these figures? Does it have to go on a rolling road?
they do the work either at your home or work I guess the answer No

it is not exactly a sports car that needs as much as one can get out of it. So there for does not need any additional parts
hence no need to be tested on a rolling road.

if additional parts were fitted like a bigger exhaust and hi tech air and carbs ect I expect I would need a rolling road test.

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
I'd leave the 2.2 alone. its a good engine & was designed between Ford & the Peugeot group, but when messed around with can have problems with pistons melting.
It seems the fiat Ducato 2.3 is a common van that is routinely remapped because it has the capability of being remapped to handle heavier loads. I.e. a 3.5 ton motorhome ..

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
I'd leave the 2.2 alone. its a good engine & was designed between Ford & the Peugeot group, but when messed around with can have problems with pistons melting.
I think there might be an indication in engine temp before we melt a piston, bloody hell the OP has had the job done let's not piddle on his world.

We've had a few engines remapped (not the plug in's) the insurance thanked us for phoning and told us it wasn't a problem and wouldn't affect the policy.
Also it won't be picked up if the engine is serviced by a main dealer as they have no reason to go into the ECU mapping.
The engine was sold in different variants from 120 to 148bp you can take it to 168bp safely.

Last edited:

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
they do the work either at your home or work I guess the answer No

it is not exactly a sports car that needs as much as one can get out of it. So there for does not need any additional parts
hence no need to be tested on a rolling road.

if additional parts were fitted like a bigger exhaust and hi tech air and carbs ect I expect I would need a rolling road test.
So you are just taking the bhp increase on trust? To do the job properly it really does need to go on a rolling road. The tester will almost certainly ask you to have the cam belt changed first for fear it may break when subjected to full acceleration and rpm. Only on a rolling road can the map be tested against your particular engine to ensure no overfueling which can cause black smoke. Cylinder wash not such a great problem on a diesel as a with a petrol.

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
I think there might be an indication in engine temp before we melt a piston, bloody hell the OP has had the job done let's not piddle on his world.

We've had a few engines remapped (not the plug in's) the insurance thanked us for phoning and told us it wasn't a problem and wouldn't affect the policy.
Also it won't be picked up if the engine is serviced by a main dealer as they have no reason to go into the ECU mapping.
I can be piddled if anyone feels that way I. Have taken the decision and job done .
if I am not happy it can go back to what it was no problem.

not sure when I will get to test it as I still have a fair bit to do yet.

but I have an open time to test it so no worries .

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
I can be piddled if anyone feels that way I. Have taken the decision and job done .
if I am not happy it can go back to what it was no problem.

not sure when I will get to test it as I still have a fair bit to do yet.

but I have an open time to test it so no worries .
If anything like ours it will take about 500miles before you will see it all settle down, good luck hope it all works out.

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
So you are just taking the bhp increase on trust? To do the job properly it really does need to go on a rolling road. The tester will almost certainly ask you to have the cam belt changed first for fear it may break when subjected to full acceleration and rpm. Only on a rolling road can the map be tested against your particular engine to ensure no overfueling which can cause black smoke. Cylinder wash not such a great problem on a diesel as a with a petrol.
Taking the job on trust the same as many many others are and have done .
I saw the screen before and after.
thinking about it the only thing that has changed in simple terms is the settings .

something that can be altered on many many items with no effect. Car wise Tesla car are updated all the times by altering settings . Yes I know it is electric but the settings can be altered a
on many things without destroying them.

did others go on a rolling road. ?

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
If anything like ours it will take about 500miles before you will see it all settle down, good luck hope it all works out.
I was told as the engine only has 18 867 miles on the clock it will bed in as you have said.

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ok just got news back from the LV insurance it’s classed as a Lesure vehicle they have mentioned that the 60 mph speed limit denotes its speed so as far as they the insurance company are concerned no corrections to the insurance are required.

well least I asked

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Anyone had it done and have the Fiat Comfortmatic gearbox?
Yes

I had the 180bhp mapped to 210bhp, no issues with the Comformatic box at all, I think there was an increase in torque giving better uphill travel with less gear changes noticed, and the fuel consumption went from 22 to 24mpg but that might be the engine loosening up a bit as well.

I reckon I might get the new van done but i’ll let it bed in first and see how it performs, it’s the same engine with the new ZF 9 speed box

Al

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back