Reg Checkers for Motorhomes? (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 16, 2022
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680G
Exp
New
When you phone most garages/suppliers these days they ask for your car registration to identify the parts you are asking for. Motorhomes don't seem to be recognised in these Reg Checkers. Has anyone had any experience of this and has anyone been able to get their vehicle registered so that it recognised? Cheers in advance.

Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
I have just entered my Motorhome reg in the DVLA vehicle checker and London LEZ vehicle checker and it shows my vehicle ok. I have occasionally had a non recognition when looking for vehicle parts and assumed they are using an old database as mine is a private plate.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
When you phone most garages/suppliers these days they ask for your car registration to identify the parts you are asking for. Motorhomes don't seem to be recognised in these Reg Checkers. Has anyone had any experience of this and has anyone been able to get their vehicle registered so that it recognised? Cheers in advance.
Yes. Had a very recent incident today where my registration is unrecognisable as a roadworthy vehicle, despite a current mot, fully taxed and insured.
This was on gumtree as I tried to apply an advert to complement the other one I have on ebay for the sale of our motorhome.
Have also looked for certain parts for our Motorhome on various parts sites, and often it is not recognised.
Weird!

Upvote 1
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Yes it does, so use that myself.
Reg number on government mot sites works fine though.
As I said. Weird!
It also seems random for RVs.
Many have their MOT history on multiple phone apps but some make you visit the UK GOV pages to view the same information..... Like they are restricted in some way.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The reg checker should recognise the base vehicle but won't have a clue about the conversion

Upvote 1
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
The reg checker should recognise the base vehicle but won't have a clue about the conversion
Not if the Motorhome has been registered as Pilote for instance.
My Pilote doesn’t come up much with the reg number. Search on any of the car parts websites, says not recognised. The same with Eurotunnel.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the problem is a lot of motorhomes are built on base vehicles sold outside the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Looking for new tyres I typed in my reg number. It's a Merc 2.7l but some thought it was a 2.2l Merc and one thought it was a car.
I was told that National Tyres use a database from Haynes.

Gordon

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Assuming the correct ones are already fitted especially in the case of the load indicator
There isn't a specific "correct" tyre

Yes there's a minimum load capacity required . But you can fit wider tyres , van, tyres , motorhome tyres etc etc . It doesn't require a specific brand so there's no need to give a registration number for tyres.

Personally I would always ask for the highest load rating available when fitting tyres to a camper.

From experience if you go to any of the common tyre places with no knowledge of what you have you'll be sold the most expensive ones they have and probably told you have no options 🤣

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
OK I’ll be more specific Having chosen my tyres I was looking for advice on pressure. I typed in my registration and got “your vehicle is a …” which in several cases was incorrect.

The one which thought my MH was a car suggested 32psi all round. Not a good idea!

Gordon

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
OK I’ll be more specific Having chosen my tyres I was looking for advice on pressure. I typed in my registration and got “your vehicle is a …” which in several cases was incorrect.

The one which thought my MH was a car suggested 32psi all round. Not a good idea!

Gordon
Finding the correct pressure for a motorhome is a shambles as it varies in so many ways.

You can weigh it and contact Michelin or continental etc and they'll give you a guesstimate.

Personally I go 65 in front and 60 in the rear , I have twin real wheels . It seems to work out OK with even wear across the tread and not to hard a ride

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
It's variable where the reg is recognised.

Mine works on parking and toll web sites and apps, but does not work on spares web sites.

It also did not work when I first took it into a Mercedes dealership for it's first annual service under warranty back in 2020!
They had to cross check the VIN with mercedes germany, and then registered it, so going into a Mercedes dealer in Spain a week ago, the vehicle existed !

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
There isn't a specific "correct" tyre

Yes there's a minimum load capacity required . But you can fit wider tyres , van, tyres , motorhome tyres etc etc . It doesn't require a specific brand so there's no need to give a registration number for tyres.

Personally I would always ask for the highest load rating available when fitting tyres to a camper.

From experience if you go to any of the common tyre places with no knowledge of what you have you'll be sold the most expensive ones they have and probably told you have no options 🤣
I agree but you just need to be a bit careful with load ratings as the sizes get bigger you start crossing the line into commercial tyres, then tyre designs start becoming more specific, make sure that you re not being sold a trailer tyre to fit onto a steering axle. I also look for the snowflake symbol these days.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Mines registered as a Rapido Fiat model white. OK on .gov no one else has a clue even occassional invalid Registration why are you trying this ? (that really got me)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back