Refillable Gas Systems - How much have you saved? (1 Viewer)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Lots of threads about the advantages of fitting a refillable gas system and it's costs. We, along with many others, fitted it for the convenience rather than the cost advantages but I was pretty sure that by now I'd recovered the cost of fitting. So having a couple of hours to spare and the records I keep about fuel and gas refills, I thought I'd do a simple spreadsheet for the gas - I already use one for fuel. It threw up some interesting results.

First, some basics; it's a 2 x 6kg Gaslow system (pre R67 version) which was fitted November 2011 at a cost of roughly £350 - can't remember exactly as I was having other work done at the same time (thanks Dave N.) It replaced two Calorlite 6kg bottles. Since then we've been away 892 nights, over a lot of Europe and Morocco as well as the UK. We tend not to use electrical hookups (unless it's included in site fees), the 100w solar panel and Sterling B2B charger plus twin 100 ah batteries generally looking after our electrical needs perfectly well.

Over that time we've bought 952 litres LPG at an average price of 63p per litre = £595.39

A Calorlite 6kg bottle contains 11.7 litres and the retail refill price is currently £21.89; it's not changed much. That's £1.87 per litre, so assuming I only exchanged empty bottles and didn't waste any gas I would have paid £1,780.24.

That's a saving of £1,184.85. Okay, take off £350 fitting cost, I've still saved £834.85 (and an aching back!)

:Grin: I'm quite happy with that! :Grin:

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
No idea what I've saved I also mainly fitted for convenience I have 2 x 11kg gasit bottles.

I go through one bottle roughly every 2 weeks since October as I full time so approx 18 -20 x 22 litres.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I'm hoping to have the Alugas fitted in the new year and to be honest I'm not doing it to save the pennies, I'm doing it for the convenience of an easy fill abroad(y)(y)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Lots of threads about the advantages of fitting a refillable gas system and it's costs. We, along with many others, fitted it for the convenience rather than the cost advantages but I was pretty sure that by now I'd recovered the cost of fitting. But having a couple of hours to spare and the records I keep about fuel and gas refills, I thought I'd do a simple spreadsheet for the gas - I already use one for fuel. It threw up some interesting results.

First, some basics; it's a 2 x 6kg Gaslow system (pre R67 version) which was fitted November 2011 at a cost of roughly £350 - can't remember exactly as I was having other work done at the same time (thanks Dave N.) It replaced two Calorlite 6kg bottles. Since then we've been away 892 nights, over a lot of Europe and Morocco as well as the UK. We tend not to use electrical hookups (unless it's included in site fees), the 100w solar panel and Sterling B2B charger plus twin 100 ah batteries generally looking after our electrical needs perfectly well.

Over that time we've bought 952 litres LPG at an average price of 63p per litre = £595.39

A Calorlite 6kg bottle contains 11.7 litres and the retail refill price is currently £21.89; it's not changed much. That's £1.87 per litre, so assuming I only exchanged empty bottles and didn't waste any gas I would have paid £1,780.24.

That's a saving of £1,184.85. Okay, take off £350 fitting cost, I've still saved £834.85 (and an aching back!)

:Grin: I'm quite happy with that! :Grin:
You may have taken into account your £350 cost for putting the system in, but it still has a value now even though it is second hand. You could put it another van

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We use a lot less gas as we have diesel heating and no where near as much use but also a cheaper system single gasit 11kg so I recon we are still probably even after 4 years and with a single bottle locker a lot more convenient.

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You may have taken into account your £350 cost for putting the system in, but it still has a value now even though it is second hand. You could put it another van
Yes I appreciate that, but didn't want to muddy the waters as it were. But I'd probably leave it in and buy a new system if ever I changed the van.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I fitted refillable for convenience for travelling abroad.. and in UK to save lifting heavy bottles..
Payback time was never in the equation..

Have now bought a caravan and just going to use 2 x 6kg Calor propane , and while Calor gas is obviously much more expensive by the litre .. future use on sites with EHU will be much reduced.. Water and space heating are electric, kettle and cooking also electric.. so gas will only be used if off site overnight while travelling .. or on a CL without EHU..

Another benefit of Calor is that it's available in just about every town and village.. so not hard to get exchanged. LPG is not so widely spread, especially in the North of Scotland and dare I say Morocco ;)

So for my set of circumstances, fitting refillable would be pointless,

Going abroad.. the propane bottles will last a while, but even if they run out, local propane is easy to find and not expensive..

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
i have saved several backaches probably several scraped knuckles and not had to worry if the gas is going to run out in europe before i get home so priceless to me

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
No idea on the saving but most probably take a while to break even..
I pulled the single bottle gas locker out of my chausson 620 and fitted an 55l water capacity tank, Ie equivilent to a couple 11kg cylinders..
With diesel heating it lasts a long time .. and was worth the effort..
The rebuilt gas locker is a bit more useful storage as well..(y)

20160514_140223.jpg

20160515_161747.jpg
20160515_161955.jpg

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
That looks to be a fair sized tank - more like a torpedo!

I did consider an underslung tank but thought the extra advantages wouldn't be worth the extra cost. Now I've done me sums though..................

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Yes I appreciate that, but didn't want to muddy the waters as it were. But I'd probably leave it in and buy a new system if ever I changed the van.
And when you sell it there will be extra value in the van. Monetary value

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It would be nice to think that
And when you sell it there will be extra value in the van. Monetary value
but I wouldn't think so. Might make it a more attractive proposition to a private buyer though. Immaterial though, no intention of selling, there's nothing else on the market that suits us better.

However that's made me think - how long does a refillable gas system last? Hoses I know have a "life" marked on them but what about the bottles?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
It would be nice to think that but I wouldn't think so. Might make it a more attractive proposition to a private buyer though. Immaterial though, no intention of selling, there's nothing else on the market that suits us better.

However that's made me think - how long does a refillable gas system last? Hoses I know have a "life" marked on them but what about the bottles?

Refillable gas systems improve with age like wine so in answer to your question. About a week in our house !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
1st van we had 2 x 11kg Stako bottles reckon we got our money back in 4 years, kept the van 6 years. Main saving was my back.:D
Had 2 x 14kg Alugas in the last van which have been transfered to the current van, bottles now 4½ years old, paid for themselves ages ago as we use a lot more gas these days. Already put in 140 Lt (70kg) so far this year.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Not sure how much we saved, got the Gaslow (11KG) as a freebie from dealer as part of deal, fitted more as a convenience. Filled lots of times, sometimes only a few litres others 10-12. Keep a calor light as a backup, considering adding second gaslow but not sure its worth it for how much we are away. Never record, fuel, mileage, nights away, can't be asked but for the convenience of being able to top up as required it is worth its weight in gold.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I had my Gaslow fitted from new. When I had two smaller calor bottles on my yacht I wouldn't set sail any great distance without two full bottles and I know I must have taken back several bottles that still had plenty in.

That's how I feel about my two bottles now. I set off last Friday for Lymington meet with one almost empty and one full; I know I could have lasted on the full one but don't like too so if they had been calor I would have wasted 1/4 or 1/3 full tank, with refillable I simply replace what is missing.

For that reason alone I know I have saved money, without even considering the convenience and the need to put my back out lifting the perishing things.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Like others have said my main reason for fitting Gasit cylinders was for convenience. No more disconnecting, taking out heavy bottle, taking it to shop, bringing back, lifting it back into awkward store, tying back up and reconnecting. Just drive up to pump, connect hose and fill, disconnect, walk to cash desk, pay and walk back and drive off.

My guess is that it has more than paid for itself in the last 4 years in previous and existing motorhome. But if it hasn't it would still be worth it.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Doing a quick calculation I reckon we have saved at least £2,500 over 14 years using Gaslow. My biggest regret was only having a 11kg fited and keeping a 6kg calor as spare, it really hurts if I have to refill the calor, luckily very rarely

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Doing a quick calculation I reckon we have saved at least £2,500 over 14 years using Gaslow. My biggest regret was only having a 11kg fited and keeping a 6kg calor as spare, it really hurts if I have to refill the calor, luckily very rarely

Well with the savings you could afford to replace the Calor with a 6kg refillable - and save some more money!:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It would be nice to think that but I wouldn't think so. Might make it a more attractive proposition to a private buyer though. Immaterial though, no intention of selling, there's nothing else on the market that suits us better.

It depends on what bottles you have, the older Gaslow ones have a 15 year 'life', the newer R67 type ones are 10 years and I think Gasit are 10 years. We have an older Gaslow and an R67 one and I much prefer the older one as the knob is easier to turn, however I have fitted a large extension knob on my R67 to make it easier ... I'll try to remember to take photos!

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
It depends on what bottles you have, the older Gaslow ones have a 15 year 'life', the newer R67 type ones are 10 years and I think Gasit are 10 years. We have an older Gaslow and an R67 one and I much prefer the older one as the knob is easier to turn, however I have fitted a large extension knob on my R67 to make it easier ... I'll try to remember to take photos!
Funny that the manufacturers of the prv say replace at 10 years , It seems to all be down to which set or regulations you try and fit the cylinders into although as far as I can see they are a grey area and don't need to comply , just as installers don't need to be qualified.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I fitted refillable for convenience for travelling abroad.. and in UK to save lifting heavy bottles..
Payback time was never in the equation..

Have now bought a caravan and just going to use 2 x 6kg Calor propane , and while Calor gas is obviously much more expensive by the litre .. future use on sites with EHU will be much reduced.. Water and space heating are electric, kettle and cooking also electric.. so gas will only be used if off site overnight while travelling .. or on a CL without EHU..

Another benefit of Calor is that it's available in just about every town and village.. so not hard to get exchanged. LPG is not so widely spread, especially in the North of Scotland and dare I say Morocco ;)

So for my set of circumstances, fitting refillable would be pointless,

Going abroad.. the propane bottles will last a while, but even if they run out, local propane is easy to find and not expensive..
Very understandable but are many caravans fitted with refillable cylinders anyway?
Personally is have thought it more inconvenient to have refillable cylinders anyway..
Yes Calor is available in a vast amount of places in the UK but not in Europe.
Plus, if you leave the UK with 2 Calor (say for want of various suppliers) and need more gas say 2 weeks later in France, you'd need to buy a local gas and adaptor (and fit them), plus do you now have space to store a nominally empty cylinder? A week or so later, in Germany, another replacement and adaptors and another storage problem. Could happen in several countries. Now, when back home after say 6 weeks away, you've got 3 foreign cylinders and 2 Calor. Obviously you're not going to get rid of the Calor cylinders abroad because of the deposit and you'd need to replace anyway for UK touring.
What now happens to the foreign cylinders? Remember, these cylinders aren't empty, only nominally.
Plus, if you're going away the next year, you'd have to transport these cylinders back.
However, that is possible with a Moho as lots use places without EHU etc, Aires and so on whereas, I appreciate caravans users don't.
Had our refillables fitted about 6 years ago and I do remember in previous years having a BP lite and a Calor Lite and, just to be sure,, have 2 full cylinders on the way out which would cost around £48/50 to exchange. The very first year I had to fill up after the holiday (only 2 weeks then) at a motorway service station (so not the cheapest place), it was £9.92.
So in essence, saving around £40 on a 2 week holiday equating to approximately £20 per week away saving.
Without counting the cost of any inconvenience going to Calor and BP stockists (Calor 6 kg and BP 11 kg (I think)) plus not having to obtain any foreign cylinders, I reckon our system should break even in the next year but probably has already because the £9.92 was at the motorway services and probably 25 - 30% more expensive than local suppliers and no further cost for foreign cylinders and adaptors (admittedly one off cost) and lugging around other nominally empty cylinders which would be impractical (nay impossible) or restricting our touring to 2 weeks at a time.
For me anyway, it was the convienience rather than the savings but the cost is long forgotten now.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Very understandable but are many caravans fitted with refillable cylinders anyway?
Personally is have thought it more inconvenient to have refillable cylinders anyway..

No idea how many have them fitted.. am guessing not many as there is little benefit and can be inconvenient having to pack up and leave site to fill up .. .. and yes, as I said, it would be more inconvenient for me..

We toured abroad for several years with a caravan, and very rarely needed to change a bottle, simple because nearly all sites have an EHU.. when we did I kept the Calor bottle and at the end of the trip left the foreign bottle with a dealer..

We plan to over winter in Spain on a site with the caravan, and bottles are by far the most convent way of using LPG.. no need to pack up, take down awnings etc and leave site, the same would apply to a motorhome that was on a site for weeks..Bottled Propane abroad is also a lot cheaper than Calor

We did this with the RV and having to leave the site to fill up with LPG was a real pain. so I used bottled gas.. many Spanish sites, (most) now meter electric and charge by the kW, which can work out a lot more expensive than LPG .. so being able to buy local bottles and exchange as required, (most sites sell them) is by far the better option.. Autogas isn't so easy to find in Spain as it is in France and the UK

So .. summing up.. refillable have many benefits but so does being able to change a bottle.. so before installing refillable, you have to consider what type of use and where you will use the van.. it is not a panacea for all situations and applications.

Connivence of use and practicality trumps cost, be it refillable or exchange bottles.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back