Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I work in a Further Education College and we were informed this afternoon that there are to be 60 redundancies amongst all the staff.

The management are putting it down to a £1.5million cut in funding from central government. More students/less money per student = job losses.

So much for all the politicians saying they are putting more money than before into education.

All redundancies will be enforced before 1st August 2010.

Will keep you up to scratch with events

BigJohn

Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Kiveton Park, S Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile.
Exp
3 yrs long, long ago
Private commerce/industry has suffered the same already.
Now it's the turn of the governement workers.

Seems fair to me:- less people in work = less taxes = less money for non-productive employees.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Big Ed

Free Member
May 4, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I work at a further education college, we are going through the redundancy process. We have two Plumbing Assessors at the moment, one of them has to go so in their wisdom management have decided that both Assessers have to apply for the one job. The successful applicant gets to keep his job on a new contract on lower wages the other poor sod gets made redundant.
What was it Mr Brown said about training for the 16 to 25 year olds?

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Barbara was made redundant from her post in secondary education . Same story - less kids attending, so less funding & less teachers required. The same school is about to make a second round od redundacies this year :RollEyes:

spiritsfree

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
Sandy, Beds.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
So much for "education, education, education"......and more importantly they won`t tell us the truth !!........"they really don`t get it"...and think we`re thick !!:Angry::Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Sorry to hear your news. Unfortunately it seems to be happening a lot in the education sector at the moment.

The redundancy process often isnt as fair as it is made out to be, so make sure they do it right and if they dont, take them to Industrial Tribunal.

Acas do some extremely good information books on redundancy and the direct gov website has some helpful information. Dont take what employers say without checking out because they are human and do get it wrong sometimes.

Its extremely interesting that only just a few months ago so many bankers were changing their careers to teaching.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sorry to hear of the redundancies and I hope you aren't one of the 60 (unless you want to be of course!).

My hubby worked at a university and offered himself up for severance. His job as a stationery/equipment buyer had been looked into 3 times in the past 5 years to see if it could be done 'on line' rather than have a 'human being' there. As the on line version of the software he used had been developed to the point where it was feasible, with some tweaking, to do without him, rather than sit doing a job he didn't want to anymore and being bored silly as it was so mind-numbing (despite it being very well paid), he asked the question if they wanted to pay him off. The Finance Director (his area boss) was very keen as she'd been the one wanting to do this for some time, so came back with the maximum package of 10 months gross pay which he gladly took (no pension enhancement though as he's too young). What they didn't know was that he was planning on leaving anyway so this really was a massive bonus! So, since Christmas he's been a house hubby and has taken to it like a duck to water.

Unfortunately I'm not in the same position as my post (PA to the Director) will need to be filled when I leave (not long now! ::bigsmile: ). I've just returned to work from a week's holiday (picking up our new van and the Peterborough show), and my boss said he had really struggled without me ... nice to be needed but by heck is he going to get a shock shortly!:whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back