Recommendations for touring in Scotland? (6 Viewers)

Apr 9, 2015
šŸ‡µšŸ‡¹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
Hi - we visit Findhorn on the Moray Firth every year in the summer time and have never had any problems with midges there. There's beautiful (mostly deserted) beaches all along that coastline for walks with dogs. The campsite at the Findhorn foundation is good for topping up and emptying out and of course there are plenty of wilding options.
I'm going to the fringe this year and am staying at the Caravan Club's Edinburgh site - Marine Drive EH4 5EN Ā£28.60 for one night including hook up.
Big plug if I'm allowed for my friend's nephew who is performing at the Hill Street studio. Not sure what act they will be performing but look out for comedy duo Third Absurd (y)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Thanks for your suggestions.
What has raised its head though is the likelihood of bad midges which my hubby cannot tolerate (and is the reason we have had to abandon our Finland plans in the summer - mozzies there.)
Does anyone know of any (nice area) of Scotland where we might be midges free in august? Not Skye for example where he's already tried in the summer.. This is such an annoying problem!!

Everything you need to know about Scottish midges here (although it's not very encouraging - especially re August):
https://must-see-scotland.com/midges-in-scotland/

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
It's almost impossible to avoid the midges at that time of year, unless you can find somewhere where the wind blows strongly enough that the little dears cannot land!

Do NOT rely on the Avon cream, unless you can get old stock - they have changed the formulation, and it no longer repels midges. Smidge that Midge (available widely in Scotland) worked for us, but it's a matter of individual chemistry, I suspect.

For a midge-free stop, with excellent walking, try Duncansby Head (the real furthest point from Lands End). You can also indulge in whale/seal/dolphin spotting, as they come up the North Sea, and into the Pentland Firth. Just make sure you don't get blown away with the midges!! It is (was) a popular wild camping spot, so you might line up with some fellow motorhomers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back