Recommendations for touring in Scotland? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We are planning a few weeks of touring after visiting the Edinburgh fringe in August and wondered if anyone had any suggestions? We have a dog - so lovely walks would be good. We like to half wild and half camp.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I would also like to tour Scotland, but is there any time of year when it doesn't rain there. I have visited Scotland twice before and it just rained every day we were there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I would also like to tour Scotland, but is there any time of year when it doesn't rain there. I have visited Scotland twice before and it just rained every day we were there.

Like anywhere in the British Isles its a question of luck. South east England tends to be drier, so we visit our daughter in Essex as often as possible lol. Me personally, I like to keep my options open & watch weather forecasts. If the area we've planned for looks like they might have rain we go elsewhere. The only exception is the Lake District, when going there you have to accept that it might rain, so its similar to Scotland. That said, I'd had 10 years worth of Lake District holidays before I saw any rain there, even then the waterfalls that I'd never seen amazed me, result.

As Billy Connolly says, there's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
as above ref islands and most of the west coast TBH and loads of the middle bits, :)(y) the only real disappointment to me in Scotland was JoG and the immediate area, all flat and arable farms, no mountains as I expected

But for us west is best, including south west, some missed treasures down there (y)

I am interested to see how you get on getting the MH anywhere near Edinburgh during August, all hotels etc get booked up months ahead even at 4 x the price, would presume any campsites do the same, we love the fringe but have not been back for 10 years mainly due to Lola our dog and nowhere to park an 8m MH (y)

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
If you are doing the Fringe look at staying at Melrose and getting the train from Tweedbank which is about a twenty minute walk from camp site

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Camping & Caravan Club, Scottish Region, do a one month long Temporary Holiday site at Danderhall (used to be Dalkeith Park), 28 July - 20 August. £8.50 per night. Regular bus to Princes St every 20 minutes from the Park Gates £4 for a day rover pass.
They call it the Tattoo Meet as they organize a trip to the Edinburgh Tattoo with a coach from the meet and back.

55°54'22.3"N 3°07'51.6"W
55.906182, -3.131012

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/outandabout/2017/jul/event50263/

I'm not sure if the link will work as you have to log on as a member so a cut and paste is below...

Temporary Holiday Site
Featured
featured.png

Where
Drum Estate,
Edinburgh,

Organiser
Scottish Region

When
28 July 2017 to 20 August 2017

Opening hours
10:00 - 16:00

Cost
£8.50 pupn

Booking contact
Mr P Brotherston

Steward contact
Peter Brotherston

Directions
From City of Edinburgh Bypass, at Sheriffhall Rdbt tk A7 twds Danderhall to 1st set of traffic lgts. Thru lights tn L immediately thru pillared gates.

Map reference
66/306692

Event number
HS4053/2017

Other Information
Visit the Edinburgh Military Tattoo - event being organised. Tks sell fast - contact M Wild 07713122061 for details. Ceilidh on Sat 12th August.

Facilities
Fresh Water

Refuse Disposal

Waste Disposal

Event details can change.

Please check with the organisers that the event is happening before making travel arrangements.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
;)Ooooh that's a big one @namwaldog

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Whatever you do don't follow us, we must of upset the rain god's, as we have had five days of torrential rain.(n)however at the moment it's fair(y)

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Amazingly there is a campsite nearby +bus route that us the same price is £20 a night including hookup. Couldn't believe it when I found it on camper contact. The one nearest Edinburgh!!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've read that the military issue Avon 'Skin so Soft' for midge protection.

Not going til August? Don't forget your passport ;)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Stay at Mussleburgh harbour it has direct bus and train links to the city about 7 miles away.

We use this often when visiting Sophie, it's a great location with local shops and pubs near by and car park has toilet block and outside shower to was the sand off.

Irene Findlay

Free Member
Jun 9, 2017
Monifieth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a returning motorhomer
Try Cruden Bay harbour north of Aberdeen very short walk to .the pub also Stonehaven harbour carpark south of Aberdeen again easy walking to pubs shops etc and your able to use public transport (we use our bus pass so it is free) for visiting Aberdeen ,plus lovely walks for the dog in your life ,the east coast is not so wet lots of beautiful golf courses and beaches and not forgetting you can park at the sea front in St Andrews in fact all round the coast, all for free ,canny Scots !,

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
you can park at the sea front in St Andrews in fact all round the coast, all for free ,canny Scots !,

When were you last there? I believe height barriers and No Overnight parking signs (Legal ones) are now in place.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Try Cruden Bay harbour north of Aberdeen very short walk to .the pub also Stonehaven harbour carpark south of Aberdeen again easy walking to pubs shops etc and your able to use public transport (we use our bus pass so it is free) for visiting Aberdeen ,plus lovely walks for the dog in your life ,the east coast is not so wet lots of beautiful golf courses and beaches and not forgetting you can park at the sea front in St Andrews in fact all round the coast, all for free ,canny Scots !,
The carpark at Cruden Bay is right on the harbour exposed to the sea, so check the weather forecast for that one! A stone's throw away Is Slains castle (Bram Stoker)
600px-Slains_Castle_February_08.png

Also at Stonehaven is the home of the deep fried Mars bar (may as well try it there!) and Dunnottar castle, lovely place.
dunnottar-castle.jpg

Attachments

• dunnottar-castle.jpg
    dunnottar-castle.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 6
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
When were you last there? I believe height barriers and No Overnight parking signs (Legal ones) are now in place.
Yes last year there were No motorhomes overnight signs at the west beach, there has been a crackdown due to alleged abuse, we stayed at a C&CC farm site a couple of miles away there is also a small CC site nearby.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
The carpark at Cruden Bay is right on the harbour exposed to the sea, so check the weather forecast for that one! A stone's throw away Is Slains castle (Bram Stoker)
View attachment 167730
Also at Stonehaven is the home of the deep fried Mars bar (may as well try it there!) and Dunnottar castle, lovely place.
View attachment 167731

I'd be very wary of the deep fried Mars bar (does such a thing really exist?) as Mars have announced a big recall due to salmonella being found in their UK & Ireland stocks!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40226415

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I'd be very wary of the deep fried Mars bar (does such a thing really exist?) as Mars have announced a big recall due to salmonella being found in their UK & Ireland stocks!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40226415
It's real, I tried my first one there (only tried 2) I would think the deep fat frying process will kill anything organic :sneaky:
_84362439_fish.jpg

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
as above ref islands and most of the west coast TBH and loads of the middle bits, :)(y) the only real disappointment to me in Scotland was JoG and the immediate area, all flat and arable farms, no mountains as I expected

But for us west is best, including south west, some missed treasures down there (y)

I am interested to see how you get on getting the MH anywhere near Edinburgh during August, all hotels etc get booked up months ahead even at 4 x the price, would presume any campsites do the same, we love the fringe but have not been back for 10 years mainly due to Lola our dog and nowhere to park an 8m MH (y)

Hi

Try here....... we have used this place on a few occasions especially for new year ....... Have just done a festival time , mid August price check ..It came in at £132 for 4 nights on a with hook up pitch. ........choice of pitches , eg with/without hookup ..toilet//shower blocks//pub// restaurant on site... Bus to Edinburgh city centre from the gate,, 3 or 4 buses per hour..Choose the city day ticket option , giving multi trip anywhere in the city limits , think its around £3-£4 for that ticket.

Mortonhall Caravan & Camping Park
38 Mortonhall Gate, Frogston Road East, Edinburgh, East Lothian, Scotland, EH16 6TJ

Monday 14 August 17
to
Friday 18 August 17

4 Nights
Duration

2 Adults
Guests

Standard pitch for tourers and motorhomes
with electric hook up
Tourer / Motorhome
Type

£132.50
Accommodation

Booking Fee
Price Includes
£132.50
Holiday Total
£132.50
To Pay Now

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for your suggestions.
What has raised its head though is the likelihood of bad midges which my hubby cannot tolerate (and is the reason we have had to abandon our Finland plans in the summer - mozzies there.)
Does anyone know of any (nice area) of Scotland where we might be midges free in august? Not Skye for example where he's already tried in the summer.. This is such an annoying problem!!

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
What has raised its head though is the likelihood of bad midges which my hubby cannot tolerate (and is the reason we have had to abandon our Finland plans in the summer - mozzies there.)
Does anyone know of any (nice area) of Scotland where we might be midges free in august? Not Skye for example where he's already tried in the summer.. This is such an annoying problem!!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The east coast is less likely to have midgies.
It's just good or bad luck really. Hope for some nice sunshine daytime then retreat indoors in the evening.

Something to think about..The midgies will get through most mesh fo keep your windows closed if they are around.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Nearly 2 litres of mozzies per person right up north in Finland, I met some of them:( Those ladies don't care about Avon cream!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back