Rear view camera recommendations. (1 Viewer)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I think my rear view camera has had its day. Ever since we have had the Van when I put the electric window up or down the camera flickers, don’t know why. :unsure: The other day the camera just started flickering while I was driving, I have it on all the time and then the screen went blank so I switched it off. A few days later I was driving again and it was on for a short while then flickered so I turned it off again. Now it’s gone all black with a little flicker so I am thinking it’s had its day. Took all the panels off around dash yesterday to see if anything obvious but all confusing in there and could not see anything obvious.
What I want is a new camera, wired in or wireless if any good that I can have on all the time, 7inch screen, Crystal clear vision, night time vision would be good also. Eddie vanbitz what you got. Any recommendations appreciated. (y)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've previously had a double lens camera. The narrower view pointing level was on permanently, giving me a good 'rear view mirror' view. This was particularly useful in Europe when joining motorways with really short sliproads where you don't have a good view when you're on the wrong side.

When I hit reverse, I had the downward facing wide angle visible, I could see the full width of the rear bumper, so it was good for reversing.

Initially I had both views going to the same screen which toggled when I hit reverse. But I changed it so the mirror view was permanently my separate display and the reversing view came on in the radio's display when I hit reverse. Best of both worlds.

My new van has a single lens and I do miss having a good rearward view.

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
I think my rear view camera has had its day. Ever since we have had the Van when I put the electric window up or down the camera flickers, don’t know why. :unsure: The other day the camera just started flickering while I was driving, I have it on all the time and then the screen went blank so I switched it off. A few days later I was driving again and it was on for a short while then flickered so I turned it off again. Now it’s gone all black with a little flicker so I am thinking it’s had its day. Took all the panels off around dash yesterday to see if anything obvious but all confusing in there and could not see anything obvious.
What I want is a new camera, wired in or wireless if any good that I can have on all the time, 7inch screen, Crystal clear vision, night time vision would be good also. Eddie vanbitz what you got. Any recommendations appreciated. (y)
Hi, my 5" black and white reversing camera system failed some weeks ago, (it was a factory fitted unit, when built in the 🇺🇸 some 18 years ago) so l found a 7 inch colour flat screen reversing camera system for under 50 quid, used the existing wiring (with a bit of modification) now l can use it as a rear view mirror (on all times) or set it to come on when reversing, it will also accept an additional camera for side viewing if required, got it from onbuy, using top cashback, so even better, if you need a link to what l think is great for the cost, just ask

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I bought my twin rear camera system which I have to say displays excellent images in both day and night modes from Chris at Reversing Cameras UK.

I prefer to switch between the reverse and rearview cameras rather than have the reverse linked to via reverse gear.

Last edited:

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Just incase anyone wants it, its

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Is it the camera or the monitor is faulty ? Or are you changing the whole set up ?

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Hi Mikey rv, do you do the RVOC as well as here, l do both, so don't miss too much

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I bought my twin rear camera system which I have to say displays excellent images in both day and night modes from Chris at Reversing Cameras UK.

I prefer to switch between the two rather than have it linked to via reverse gear.
Likewise I have used this company with a Quad view monitor with four cameras, works very well for the last 10 years,

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Hi Mikey rv, do you do the RVOC as well as here, l do both, so don't miss too much
Yes that’s me, been around a while. (y)
Is it the camera or the monitor is faulty ? Or are you changing the whole set up ?
Not sure to be honest, I would say the monitor.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Yes that’s me, been around a while. (y)

Not sure to be honest, I would say the monitor.

Different types of monitor may not work with the existing camera you have. For instance, Waeco cameras need adaptor leads to work with other monitors.

What type of monitor do you have right now ?

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Different types of monitor may not work with the existing camera you have. For instance, Waeco cameras need adaptor leads to work with other monitors.

What type of monitor do you have right now ?
I think I will just change the whole lot, it’s all eleven years old now. Unless it’s just a easy fix but don’t want to spend a lot on investigating.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Maybe worth checking the cable joints near the camera end.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Maybe worth checking the cable joints near the camera end.
I checked the main connections from the camera and monitor but don’t understand how when I use the electric window it flickers and has done for the last few years until now it’s just given up. (n)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
I think I will just change the whole lot, it’s all eleven years old now. Unless it’s just a easy fix but don’t want to spend a lot on investigating.

If it's a Waeco monitor I have an old one which you could use to change it out to test.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

I prefer to switch between the reverse and rearview cameras rather than have the reverse linked to via reverse gear.
Another vote for Chris at Revesing camera UK used him for all 3 vans we have had .

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
If it's a Waeco monitor I have an old one which you could use to change it out to test.
Thanks for offer but just had a look and it’s called Hex A Chain and made in Taiwan so I think a new one is on the cards. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back