Re-Registration in Spain .... SUCCESS !! (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
This may have been asked but I couldnt see it if it was... Did they accept your 'pitch' as registration address for the vehicle?

Deleted User
This may have been asked but I couldnt see it if it was... Did they accept your 'pitch' as registration address for the vehicle?
They have done so far in the process, it is my residential address on all official documents in Portugal.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
No it will have to be an actual address registered to you, as part of the reregistration process you need to produce a patron. This is obtained from the local town hall to which the property is registered. Either a rental agreement or escritura will be required.
Edited to add this is in Spain

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Most of the processes seem to be a little easier in Portugal, up to now at least.

Deleted User
Most of the processes seem to be a little easier in Portugal, up to now at least.
I think the whole residency process is/was much simpler in Portugal.
The matriculation of my vehicle has been dogged by delays caused by a dealer regarding headlights and then covid restrictions.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Targetpaster Have you already got residency?
If only just starting the process go to Portugal.
To become a resident now in Spain requires you to retake your driving test complete with minimum number of lessons.

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Targetpaster Have you already got residency?
If only just starting the process go to Portugal.
To become a resident now in Spain requires you to retake your driving test complete with minimum number of lessons.
Are you required to take a test in Portugal as a third country national or are 'they' making that easier with a straight swap then? Im not too bothered about the test but in Spain theres a big cart to spend money on before that particular horse. The thing that is bothering me slightly is licence renewal in the UK after the age of 70 if I chose to return to the UK. Its a fairly straightforward process if you are 'resident' in UK at age 70 but if I come back at age 72 for example I wonder if at that point I have left it too late.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Are you required to take a test in Portugal as a third country national or are 'they' making that easier with a straight swap then? Im not too bothered about the test but in Spain theres a big cart to spend money on before that particular horse. The thing that is bothering me slightly is licence renewal in the UK after the age of 70 if I chose to return to the UK. Its a fairly straightforward process if you are 'resident' in UK at age 70 but if I come back at age 72 for example I wonder if at that point I have left it too late.
Portugal straight swap of licence within 3 months of being granted residency and I think it's a straight swap back to UK if you return.

Deleted User
Portugal straight swap of licence within 3 months of being granted residency and I think it's a straight swap back to UK if you return.

That's the way it was, not sure if it's the same now, do you have some recent information?

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
That's the way it was, not sure if it's the same now, do you have some recent information?
You must exchange your UK driving licence for a Portuguese one. If you were registered as resident in Portugal on 31 December 2020, you have 90 days from 1 January 2021 to start this exchange. If you are a new resident, you have 90 days from the day you registered for residency.

Taken from the gov.uk site

Deleted User
You must exchange your UK driving licence for a Portuguese one. If you were registered as resident in Portugal on 31 December 2020, you have 90 days from 1 January 2021 to start this exchange. If you are a new resident, you have 90 days from the day you registered for residency.

Taken from the gov.uk site

I am not sure how long that situation will remain, we were advised that after the UK left the EU that would have to take a test in Portugal with similar rules regarding lessons to Spain.

In the link it implies that the licence can simply be exchanged but I would like to see something from the Portuguese IMT to that effect.

Obtaining residency itself is no longer a simple process unless there has been some temporary relaxation of rules by the Portuguese government.

It will be interesting to see how the situation develops and hear from anyone starting the process now.

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
From 1/1/21 it looked like the process for Spain non lucrative visa had to start in the UK with visit(s) to the Spanish consulate. Not sure if it’s the same with Portugal but I suspect it is. Almost by default with COVID travel restrictions there will be a minuscule number of UK residents attempting it at the moment so very difficult to get a feel for it.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Tim Raphael - just wondered if you got your insurance sorted out? Notice your motorhome is 4500kg & wondered how much the annual road tax is? Been looking at Portugal for my motorhome & the IUC (road fund tax) is likely to be exorbitant, and wondered what the cost would be in Spain?

Thanks

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
You are a legend! Had a place in Spain for a few years so know how it goes, we had to get a licence for a patio to be tiled, even that was painful. Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy! :clap2::party2:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
and wondered what the cost would be in Spain?
You need to know exactly where you wish to live as each municipal council sets its own road tax in every region. Some areas are hot on people actually living there & not just registering the vehicle there to get the low road tax & send the policia local round to check you are A) living there & B) on the electoral roll.
Others don't bother.
My mpv used to cost 180€ & that was 5 years ago yet friend of a friend in Estepona with exactly the same mpv paid 65€
The central government in Madrid registers all its vehicles in Cataluña as it is far cheaper than in Madrid.
2 or 3 hire companies register in excess of 60,000 cars in a tiny village in Cataluña via shell companies to benefit from the same.
So it could be any amount

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
gus-lopez - thanks for your reply, we were considering the Murcia region (where the OP is) & our motorhome is also 4500 kgs, so thought this would give us a good comparison. The sticking point at the moment is the non-exchange of driving licences, which we're watching in case there's a change in this ruling.

Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Hi,
It is a local person to us based in Los Alcazares. He just seemed to know which way to go and who to would get "it done" when needed. Happy to pass on contact details if you want them (y)
Hi Tim, I sent a PM to you yesterday but would be grateful for the details of your man in Los Alcasares as soon as possible, our situation is fairly urgent!
Many thanks
Ainsley

Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Tim
Thank you for posting this information so helpful
Would you be able to share the name of the guy in Los Alcazares, we are based near Torrevieja and need to do this in the summer with our Campa when we can get back to Spain
Hi Alison,

Did you get an answer to the question?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Our friends are giving up on their motorhome re-registration here in Murcia, as the taxes are rising and rising. They were let down by a company they approached last year and, even though they've provided many documents to support the fact that the motorhome was in Spain in 2020, Customs aren't happy. They have spent quite a lot of money already to get to this stage, headlights, gas and electricity tests and the ITV, but the taxes are the last straw.

Please do your homework before you start the process now, as third country taxes apply.

OP
OP
Tim Raphael

Tim Raphael

Free Member
Jun 2, 2017
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
Tim Raphael - just wondered if you got your insurance sorted out? Notice your motorhome is 4500kg & wondered how much the annual road tax is? Been looking at Portugal for my motorhome & the IUC (road fund tax) is likely to be exorbitant, and wondered what the cost would be in Spain?

Thanks
Hi.

Apologies for the late reply!

I don't know the actual road tax amount as it was lumped in with the re-matriculation amount of 732€ which covered local taxes, DGT and new plates etc. I am just about to renew the road tax as it is renewed here every March/April so could update when I know.

Regards

Hope that helps

OP
OP
Tim Raphael

Tim Raphael

Free Member
Jun 2, 2017
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Alison,

Did you get an answer to the question?

Hi Tim
Thank you for posting this information so helpful
Would you be able to share the name of the guy in Los Alcazares, we are based near Torrevieja and need to do this in the summer with our Campa when we can get back to Spain

Laurent Gerin 0034 667 82 06 53 - info@lineainmobiliaria.com

OP
OP
Tim Raphael

Tim Raphael

Free Member
Jun 2, 2017
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
Just an update on the insurance. Liberty mis read the vehicle weight and quoted for a 3500kg but we are 4500kg. They then came back with a quote for 1300€!🤔 Now looking at AXA, looking to be just a bit cheaper!!
I'll post the final details when done.
Axa insurance 681€ with a 500€ excess

OP
OP
Tim Raphael

Tim Raphael

Free Member
Jun 2, 2017
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005

Thanks
Hi

Apologies for the late reply.

Axa insurance is 681€ with a 500€ excess.

Regards

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Speaking of insurance i just got shocked and stunned. LV sent renewal quote for my M5.........£47 LESS i repeat LESS than last year.
What's going on, i'm frightened if insurance company's are reducing premiums.:eek:

Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Our friends are giving up on their motorhome re-registration here in Murcia, as the taxes are rising and rising. They were let down by a company they approached last year and, even though they've provided many documents to support the fact that the motorhome was in Spain in 2020, Customs aren't happy. They have spent quite a lot of money already to get to this stage, headlights, gas and electricity tests and the ITV, but the taxes are the last straw.

Please do your homework before you start the process now, as third country taxes apply.
Thanks for your thoughts Judith. I hope now to have some good advice and can also prove that we have been in Spain since August of last year, with the van. However, our residency was messed up, and should have been completed well before Brexit, and thus the van would also have been bought in, but at a lesser cost. I wait in trepidation for the result!!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
You need to know exactly where you wish to live as each municipal council sets its own road tax in every region. Some areas are hot on people actually living there & not just registering the vehicle there to get the low road tax & send the policia local round to check you are A) living there & B) on the electoral roll.
Others don't bother.
My mpv used to cost 180€ & that was 5 years ago yet friend of a friend in Estepona with exactly the same mpv paid 65€
The central government in Madrid registers all its vehicles in Cataluña as it is far cheaper than in Madrid.
2 or 3 hire companies register in excess of 60,000 cars in a tiny village in Cataluña via shell companies to benefit from the same.
So it could be any amount
Just about to pay our road tax we are in Valencia community our motorhome 3500kg 2017 2.3 Fiat ducato 😉 I don't know if it makes any difference is €73.42 and our car 2002 Opal corsa 1.2 petrol is €57.80 😁 although they are slow to issue the bill it starts 1st January and who ever owns it on that date pays the tax. 🤔
Our car was taxed and insured when we got it, because the previous owner had stopped driving and left the insurance running. 😯 😎 Bob.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
we are in Valencia community our motorhome 3500kg
€84.56 in Granada province for a ducato, which is bit more than your area, but €8.44 for a 125cc scooter makes up for it. Just got stung though on on our old land cruiser as we sold it on 15 Jan and forgot to a deal on the ITV with the buyer. Just got the bill for that and it's €178 odd for the year (or for 15 days ).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back