Re-Registration in Spain .... SUCCESS !! (1 Viewer)

Tim Raphael

Free Member
Jun 2, 2017
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
This post is by way of information for other people that have tried in the past and , if you follow posts from 2015, 2017 and 2018,
not been successful in re-registering a UK built MH onto Spanish plates.

Following retirement in 2015 we decided that we wanted to travel more and for longer periods abroad so started a search for a suitable van
to meet our personal needs. We already had a lovely 2008 Autocruise but it had a transverse bed and I always drew the short straw to make the tea as I slept on the outside!

Eventually, in June 2019, we found exactly what we wanted, without spending £100,000 ... Another Autocruise but a rare island bed version, the Oakmont a 2009 model with a huge bundle of extras fitted by the previous owner. We couldn't believe our luck and snapped it up without a second thought.

I had for several years been, like others, looking at the possibility of changing to Spanish plates but had always come up against the problems that others were finding, habitation door on the wrong side, no EU homologation and RHD.

In later 2019, we had decided that Spain was for us and we had been trying to sell our house in the UK which happened in November of that year. So, I contacted a Gestor here in Spain, sent him all the details of the vehicle and photos and to my surprise he returned a quote saying there were no problems
and to contact him when we arrived.

So, here we have a 2009 Autocruise with a left hab door, RHD, no EU homologation number and more than 10 years old, what are the odds going by previous posts on here ? ......... not great. But against those odds we have succeeded. The process was not cheap or without a couple of sleepless nights but the vehicle successfully passed it's ITV and as you can see now has a new Spanish reg plate.

You could ask why go through it, well because this vehicle has every conceivable extra you could wish for, satellite system, bluetooth controlled twin solar, state of the art alarm, rear air adjustable suspension, twin Gaslow system, power inverter, Aldi wet heating and Hydraulic self levellers, all on the vehicle when purchased, so to sell this and buy a similarly equipped Spanish vehicle would have cost a small fortune, set against the hurdles of trying to obtain an ITV pass, we had to try!

Basically, it can be done. The tow bar had to be removed, as the Spanish hate tow bars, safety certificates had to be obtained for Gas and Electrics and a certificate called a "Ficha Reducida" was also required, basically this document is a short cut through a full homologation. The latter is a document that can only be issued by a chartered engineer who is recognised by the ITV system. New headlights of course and the ITV inspection, all of that came to around 1300€. The Oficina de Trafico took another 700€ for plates, registration and local taxes, so all in all around 2000€.

One important point needs to be made here to do with "import tax", the ITV and re-reg were done within 30 days of receiving residency cards, which avoids a huge import duty bill and a homologation charge both of which together would have been around 5000-6000€ (partly based on value, so variable)!! So, if you are considering such a move, time it exactly right to avoid being stung!! The reason for this time slot deems that you are importing the vehicle for your own personal use thereby avoiding the tax/homologation fees. 30 days after residency or carrying out the process without residency, which is permitted, would incur these hefty charges as they regard the import as non personal use. It is 30 days and NOT 60 as I have seen suggested elsewhere.

I had spent many hours researching this and read many posts on this forum and elsewhere where people said it absolutely could not be done and until last year I was of that mind. The thought of having to sell this vehicle filled us both with dread as we had finally found our perfect van but we had resigned ourselves that if it was indeed to be the case, so be it.

Now we can celebrate! We are understandably over the moon and it has to be said that without the enormous efforts of an amazing guy, who appears to speak every language known to man and who has really done most of the work, we probably would not have succeeded. Basically DO NOT try this yourself on a vehicle of this type it is just way too complex.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them or point you in the right direction. I have attached a couple of images FYI.

1) The vehicle, as Parked on Area Los Alcazares, a fantastic Camper park, 5 Mins walk from the Mar Menor (google it) -
https://area-los-alcazares.business.site

dg09 1.jpg

2) The ITV preparation and certification account showing New HLights, Removal of Tow bar, Gas & Electric Cert, Ficha Reducido and ITV Inspection.
* It should be noted that the cost of the ITV Inspection is always much higher than normal for a first Inspection.
* It will be an annual inspection from now as the vehicle is more than 10 years old, under 10 years is every 2 years.

dg09 2.jpg

3) The ITV Cert

IMG_20200730_075924.jpg

4) The plates!

IMG_20200729_182811.jpg

One last point ............ I still get landed with making the tea!

Thanks for reading.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for posting and sharing the details. Very informative.

Glad you've had success. Just goes to show, if you are really determined and prepared to do all the research and legwork, miracles can happen.

Enjoy yourselves in Spain with the new van status! (y)

Last edited:

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Well done.

Tow bars are OK in Spain if they are fitted by a recognised fitter and then the vehicle taken to be tested and the towbar added to the ficha technica.

I've heard of a few UK RHD motorhomes being successfully rematriculated in Spain recently and gus-lopez has even has an self build (although LHD) accepted.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
A very informative and helpful post. Thank you. Congratulations on a job well done and your determination and tenacity. You truly deserve to enjoy your van for many years.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Well done 'Tim'

I am in the process of doing the same in Poland. It seems to be less complicated here, but there are still traps e,g, making sure the personal import is done within 30 days. However the officials so far have been helpful not obstructive.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kevin jones

Free Member
May 24, 2016
North wales
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
This is brilliant thank you very much so much useful information.. we are coming over on 19 august and plan on changing are 2006 left and drive carthago chic c line.. as we will be travelling around to look for a home . We are lucky that we have inlaws who have lived in spain for 16 years and we can have resistance at there’s while we change over..
who do you use for your insurance for your motorhome in spain and is it fully comprehensive cheers

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
<snip>
So, I contacted a Gestor here in Spain,
<snip>
....and it has to be said that without the enormous efforts of an amazing guy, who appears to speak every language known to man and who has really done most of the work, we probably would not have succeeded. Basically DO NOT try this yourself on a vehicle of this type it is just way too complex.

Timely post, my Hymer has to go thro' this process soon. Who was the wizard with the magic wand ?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
who do you use for your insurance for your motorhome in spain and is it fully comprehensive cheers

We use Allianz, and have done for 17 years. We have claimed a few times (in various countries) and they have been brilliant. They even transported us back home, via private ambulance (with nurse) after a sporting accident in the north of Spain. They didn't even ask for proof that we were away in the motorhome (we were, as it happens). They may not be the cheapest, but for us, they've been very good.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
For sure it's a great relief when it's all comes together. Well done and enjoy.

Been through similar with motor bikes and cars. Find "The Man" who knows his s--t and the cost is secondary.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
For sure it's a great relief when it's all comes together. Well done and enjoy.

Been through similar with motor bikes and cars. Find "The Man" who knows his s--t and the cost is secondary.
All very nice... but what gets me and I’ve done a bit of maths...is you retired at 58 !

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
OP
OP
Tim Raphael

Tim Raphael

Free Member
Jun 2, 2017
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
Timely post, my Hymer has to go thro' this process soon. Who was the wizard with the magic wand ?
Hi,
It is a local person to us based in Los Alcazares. He just seemed to know which way to go and who to would get "it done" when needed. Happy to pass on contact details if you want them (y)

OP
OP
Tim Raphael

Tim Raphael

Free Member
Jun 2, 2017
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
This is brilliant thank you very much so much useful information.. we are coming over on 19 august and plan on changing are 2006 left and drive carthago chic c line.. as we will be travelling around to look for a home . We are lucky that we have inlaws who have lived in spain for 16 years and we can have resistance at there’s while we change over..
Hi, Insurance I am using is with Liberty Seguridad. We have 2 properties and a car with the same company and they always seem to come up with the best quote. Have never made a claim so can't comment from that angle. Yes, fully comprehensive with the usual EU cover etc.
Good luck with your home search!!

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
My brother took a 1952 Daimler (RHD) to Gran Canaria back in 2002, he went through the process of registering that on the island without too much trouble. Obviously CoCs didn't exist for vehicles of that age and as far as I know he had no modifications required to the vehicle except for fitting flashing indicators in place of trafficators.
One irritating thing was that ITV didn't like the fact that the chassis number was marked on a brass plate and not stamped into the structure. He had to pay an engineer to stamp the number on the chassis but the only thing that the engineer had to verify the number was the brass plate.
The car is now back in the UK and registered with its original UK number.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
One irritating thing was that ITV didn't like the fact that the chassis number was marked on a brass plate and not stamped into the structure. He had to pay an engineer to stamp the number on the chassis but the only thing that the engineer had to verify the number was the brass plate.
We had to do that with an Ifor-Williams trailer a few years back.Had to be stamped on the left hand chassis rail when viewed from the front & in letters/numbers a minimum 8mm in height.( everything covered here:LOL:) We just took it home ,clamped a straight edge to the rail & stamped it ourselves using the previous stamp in its indent to align the next one. = no cost
Do you think his invoice hid any brown envelopes? Maybe better not to know. ;)
Probably.:giggle:

OP
OP
Tim Raphael

Tim Raphael

Free Member
Jun 2, 2017
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, Insurance I am using is with Liberty Seguridad. We have 2 properties and a car with the same company and they always seem to come up with the best quote. Have never made a claim so can't comment from that angle. Yes, fully comprehensive with the usual EU cover etc.
Good luck with your home search!!
Just an update on the insurance. Liberty mis read the vehicle weight and quoted for a 3500kg but we are 4500kg. They then came back with a quote for 1300€!🤔 Now looking at AXA, looking to be just a bit cheaper!!
I'll post the final details when done.

Allison Marks

Free Member
Jan 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79.6
Hi Tim
Thank you for posting this information so helpful
Would you be able to share the name of the guy in Los Alcazares, we are based near Torrevieja and need to do this in the summer with our Campa when we can get back to Spain

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back