Re-Registration in Spain .... SUCCESS !! (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
3500kg 2017 2.3 Fiat ducato 😉 I don't know if it makes any difference is €73.42
161,68€ my Transit:cry:

My old Ducato coachbuilt 1,9 diesel was 140€ the one time (2014) I had to pay before I claimed the exemption for being over 25 years old.:Grin:
r 2002 Opal corsa 1.2 petrol is €57.80
A motorbike will cost you that here.:(

Karina S

Free Member
May 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Hi Tim,
Thank you for your detailed post. I am hoping to do buy a LWB sprinter and convert in the UK before travelling. Do you know if any rules change for this kind of van?
& I'm not 100% yet that I want to live in Spain. I hope to get an EU passport sorted so I can stay for 6 months.. do you know how long I could then keep the van there before having to register it?
Thank you, Karina

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Hi Tim,
Thank you for your detailed post. I am hoping to do buy a LWB sprinter and convert in the UK before travelling. Do you know if any rules change for this kind of van?
& I'm not 100% yet that I want to live in Spain. I hope to get an EU passport sorted so I can stay for 6 months.. do you know how long I could then keep the van there before having to register it?
Thank you, Karina
Unless it is registered as a motorhome you will struggle.
Even when UK was in the EU anything commercial based and right hand drive would be refused here. Now as a 3rd country I doubt they will entertain it. If left hand drive it wouldn't be a Problem.

With an EU country passport you can stay for 90 consecutive days and then have to leave for at least 1 day. If you do not then you are supposed to apply gor residency. If you apply for residency then you have 30 days to start the import process of reregistering the van.
Regardless if you leave and go somewhere for a day or a month when you return the van only has another 90 days that it is allowed to be in Spain. 6 months in any 12 is maximum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hopster

Free Member
May 4, 2021
On my way!
Funster No
MH
44x4 Sprinter
Unless it is registered as a motorhome you will struggle.
Even when UK was in the EU anything commercial based and right hand drive would be refused here. Now as a 3rd country I doubt they will entertain it. If left hand drive it wouldn't be a Problem.

With an EU country passport you can stay for 90 consecutive days and then have to leave for at least 1 day. If you do not then you are supposed to apply gor residency. If you apply for residency then you have 30 days to start the import process of reregistering the van.
Regardless if you leave and go somewhere for a day or a month when you return the van only has another 90 days that it is allowed to be in Spain. 6 months in any 12 is maximum.

Trying not to thread jack here, Karina S said she was going to buy LHD, not RHD...

I'm in a similar boat, well campervan. Looking to convert to Spanish either a 4x4 RHD Sprinter that is self build already and UK registered as a motorhome, or a new/used 4x4 LHD Sprinter (German or Dutch registration perhaps) and self build, then bring it over.

How much of a nightmare is it nowadays to convert to Spanish registration please? Thank you.

I'm hearing that both can be done, but require hoops to jump through, particularly design inspection, etc. Any pointers in the steps required would be most helpful gus-lopez or others, thank you.

Stay safe out there!!

Stephen1

Free Member
Sep 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
MB Sprinter
Trying not to thread jack here, Karina S said she was going to buy LHD, not RHD...

I'm in a similar boat, well campervan. Looking to convert to Spanish either a 4x4 RHD Sprinter that is self build already and UK registered as a motorhome, or a new/used 4x4 LHD Sprinter (German or Dutch registration perhaps) and self build, then bring it over.

How much of a nightmare is it nowadays to convert to Spanish registration please? Thank you.

I'm hearing that both can be done, but require hoops to jump through, particularly design inspection, etc. Any pointers in the steps required would be most helpful gus-lopez or others, thank you.

Stay safe out there!!
Hi Hopster,
Did you make it over with your campervan? Also have a converted sprinter and want to get it registered in Spain - would be interested to know if you had any luck?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Hopster,
Did you make it over with your campervan? Also have a converted sprinter and want to get it registered in Spain - would be interested to know if you had any luck?
Hi and welcome,

Unfortunately I do not think Hopster will respond as they are not a subscriber.

Maybe someone else will be able to help you.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
rying not to thread jack here, Karina S said she was going to buy LHD, not RHD...
No she said LWB long wheel base?
How much of a nightmare is it nowadays to convert to Spanish registration please?
left hand drive same as before with duty to pay as no exemptions for UK residents now.
I'm hearing that both can be done, but require hoops to jump through, particularly design inspection, etc. Any pointers in the steps required would be most helpful @gus-lopez or others, thank you.
yes both can be done .I have seen with my own eyes right hand drive re.-registered commercial & camper vans. All had beeen done at Redovan ,itv in Alicante. How "legal" they are is another matter as spanish law dictates that right hand drive commercial vehicles or veicles based on a right hand drive commercial base , cannot be rematriclaed. Here In Lorca it was never possible & ihave been present when a right hand drive poproof camper van converted by Devon in the Uk has been refused.
Hi Hopster,
hi & welcome,
If right hand drive it will definitely be a problem. Left hand drive would not be a problem as long as you yourself are legally resident.

Stephen1

Free Member
Sep 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
MB Sprinter
No she said LWB long wheel base?

left hand drive same as before with duty to pay as no exemptions for UK residents now.

yes both can be done .I have seen with my own eyes right hand drive re.-registered commercial & camper vans. All had beeen done at Redovan ,itv in Alicante. How "legal" they are is another matter as spanish law dictates that right hand drive commercial vehicles or veicles based on a right hand drive commercial base , cannot be rematriclaed. Here In Lorca it was never possible & ihave been present when a right hand drive poproof camper van converted by Devon in the Uk has been refused.

hi & welcome,
If right hand drive it will definitely be a problem. Left hand drive would not be a problem as long as you yourself are legally resident.
Thanks gus-lopez (& Phil D),
I’m resident in Spain, moved here pre-Brexit and brought my campervan with me (it’s now in storage in Zaragoza). It’s uk registered as a motor caravan and rhd. We’re really keen to keep it here and register it. Sounds like I need to take it to Redovan, or do I need to try and find somewhere local?

Jan 19, 2014
Calpe Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar T483
Exp
Since 1980
Try spanish-number-plates.com
We used them last year to register our Swift and a Sportage.
They are based at Redovan and I couldn't fault their service.
Contact them either for advice or a quote.
If it can be done these guy's will sort it and at a very competitive price.
They will do as little as you want or do the whole process start to finish.👍

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Thanks gus-lopez (& Phil D),
I’m resident in Spain, moved here pre-Brexit and brought my campervan with me (it’s now in storage in Zaragoza). It’s uk registered as a motor caravan and rhd. We’re really keen to keep it here and register it. Sounds like I need to take it to Redovan, or do I need to try and find somewhere local?
i'd try locally & see what happens. me being an engineer would seriuosly look at swopping it to left hand drive if at all possible using left hand drive rack, possibly pedals, dash ,etc before re-registering it.

The problem you have with a rhdrive replated commercial or commercial based campervan is if, God forbid, you are involved in a injury or death road accident. The lawyers miss nothing & if you have a re-registered right hand drive camper van based on a commercial or a rhd re.registered commercial they consider was registered illegally they will ask the judge for it to be struck out. As in rescind the vehicles matriculation. You would then be
A) an illegal vehicle using the road
B) your insurance would be withdrawn
C) as you are the above & should not have been there the whole accident will be seen as being your fault
D) you are now liable for everything & will be bankrupted probably
our Swift
Yes but the swift is a purpose built rhdrive motorhome,not based on a commercial panel van, / so could be replated anywhere.

Stephen1

Free Member
Sep 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
MB Sprinter
Thanks rico, this is hopeful - great to hear you had some success with yours, will give them a call to get some advice👍🏻

Stephen1

Free Member
Sep 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
MB Sprinter
i'd try locally & see what happens. me being an engineer would seriuosly look at swopping it to left hand drive if at all possible using left hand drive rack, possibly pedals, dash ,etc before re-registering it.

The problem you have with a rhdrive replated commercial or commercial based campervan is if, God forbid, you are involved in a injury or death road accident. The lawyers miss nothing & if you have a re-registered right hand drive camper van based on a commercial or a rhd re.registered commercial they consider was registered illegally they will ask the judge for it to be struck out. As in rescind the vehicles matriculation. You would then be
A) an illegal vehicle using the road
B) your insurance would be withdrawn
C) as you are the above & should not have been there the whole accident will be seen as being your fault
D) you are now liable for everything & will be bankrupted probably

Yes but the swift is a purpose built rhdrive motorhome,not based on a commercial panel van, / so could be replated anywhere.
Thanks gus-lopez, a local place would be ideal. Converting to lhd sounds like a lot of work, not sure I have the budget for it. I’m just starting to look into this - some sobering points there re insurance, will make sure to check that whatever we do we’re covered legally. Appreciate your advice

Ian C

Free Member
Sep 4, 2016
Spain
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 82 LB
Exp
3 years
Hi, I am trying to change my MH onto Spanish plates, the guy I am using is trying but not getting very far can send me the guys name and number you used please.

Ian C

Free Member
Sep 4, 2016
Spain
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 82 LB
Exp
3 years
I have a TUV from Germany with a EU homologation number but no COC and I am still having problems

Jan 19, 2014
Calpe Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar T483
Exp
Since 1980
spanish-number-plates.com
If it can be done these guy's will do it.
Email or ring them for advice
No connection but a very satisfied customer

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
We emailed these guys with details a few weeks ago, had an automated reply but nothing since 😒, still researching......

Jan 19, 2014
Calpe Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar T483
Exp
Since 1980
I found them really good at the end of last year but I know the guy who started the company was in the process of taking a less active role.
It's disappointing when people don't return enquiries.
I know they are still trading as I spoke to Leigh about a month ago about the feasibility of fitting a towbar but it sounds like that will be a nightmare due to Spanish rules.
Try 0034 711011305 or the WhatsApp number on the website.
Best of luck

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I can't make a personal recommendation but I've heard a few good comments about Hispavan for doing rematriculation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back