Raw and Cold Pressed Dog Food (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm now pretty much convinced that the complete dog food that we feed our dogs is "Cancer in a bag" Grain based, highly processed and baked at super high temperatures, it really is not what I think dogs should be eating.

Wanting the best for our new pup we chose to feed her raw food and thats all she's had in her first 7 months of life (her breeder fed raw too). Its not cheap and its not easy but the benefits are many. However there are two downside to feeding raw.

First is the care you need to take to protect yourself. There are lots of scary bugs on meat, and whilst all the meat we feed is human grade you need to be VERY careful especially when you have someone in the house who is immune suppressed as we do.

Then there is touring in a van. The large amounts, about a kg a day, and need for refrigeration means its not at all practical for the van. I've been looking for a solution and I've found Cold Pressed Dog Food a relatively new way of making dog food.

Mostly meat, no high temp baking, stays fresh for a few months and can be fed alongside raw food. Ive just ordered a bag of Gentle Dog Food to test. Is anyone using Cold Pressed pet food?

Last edited:

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Is anyone using Cold Pressed pet food?

I'm not, no... but I am a strong advocate of raw diets and it gets my vote every time (y)

(even at the expense of valuable fridge and freezer space in the van :rolleyes:)

Raw works especially well with our Nordic breeds - their stomaches and digestive systems simply aren't as evolved and domesticated (yet).

And without going in to graphic detail, have you noticed how little comes out the other end? So much more goodness is getting absorbed :)

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm not, no... but I am a strong advocate of raw diets and it gets my vote every time (y)

(even at the expense of valuable fridge and freezer space in the van :rolleyes:)

Raw works especially well with our Nordic breeds - their stomaches and digestive systems simply aren't as evolved and domesticated (yet).

And without going in to graphic detail, have you noticed how little comes out the other end? So much more goodness is getting absorbed :)

Yes, kilos of raw meat in and cigarette size stools . :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
TBH @Jim, I'm not sure it's not just marketing hype & pseudo science... equally I'm not convinced that regular dried dog food is "cancer in a bag" - millions of dogs have lived long & happy lives on it.

But digging deeper - it seems that Cold Pressed, has cooked meat & rice & they're not saying at what temperature - so where's the benefit.
Plenty of dried dog foods are wheat or gluten free - and I noticed the Gentle brand does include Maize germ and Beet pulp which as filler is controversial is some quarters.
I can understand the Raw concept - but IMO, processed food is processed food.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We feed our dog 'Taste of the Wild' dried food, not the cheapest on the market, and have long been convinced about a BARF diet for a number of years. Some people look aghast when they see us give our dog a lamb chop bone, spare rib, raw chicken thigh or a cabbage leaf. Dogs as you allude to have only started developing cancer since the advent of TV advertised dog foods.

That said, breeders nowadays breed pedigree dogs so closely that dogs are prone to all sorts of problems from the day they are born.

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Hello,

Yes I use frozen raw when at home. If travelling or I forget to defrost the food the lucky dog gets Pure (brand) dog food which has the meat heated remove pathogens and then veg added and the whole lot dehydrated. Contains the pure veg and pure meat etc. Looks a bit it like a vesta curry.

Another one I have a bag of to try is Platinum, similar idea but with cold pressed oil.

The things you have to learn.... I looked at the rubbish in most dog foods and ralisd it was derivatives and cereal. What went in came out again as it cannot be properly digested.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I'm a raw feeding convert too. I will never ever feed a dog kibble ever again! Interested in this cold pressed stuff though. As you say room in the freezer etc. Please keep us updated with how it goes. As for raw meat,we only take the same precautions with the dog food as we take with our own raw meat.

Reactions: Jim
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
TBH @Jim, I'm not sure it's not just marketing hype & pseudo science... equally I'm not convinced that regular dried dog food is "cancer in a bag" - millions of dogs have lived long & happy lives on it.

Millions have died on it too. It's due to the controversy surrounding extrusion, that the alternative cooking methods have started to gain ground. Cold Pressed is cooked at around 50 I believe.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
It appeared that Pepper had a few allergies and we were recommended 'Nature's Menu'. It is raw but frozen. However, she is a very fussy eater but eats Nature's Menu and most of the different flavours. We did try tins and dried but she wouldn't try it. Other than that, she does like freshly cooked chicken.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Dried Ground Chicken Meat (28%), Brown Rice (thermally pre-treated)(28%), Dried Ground Herring (9%), Dried Ground Duck (9%), Rice Germ, Maize Germ, Rapeseed Oil, Linseed Oil, Beet (Beta vulgaris), Sea Algae (dried), Vegetable Mixture (parsnip, chard, celery, chicory, parsley roots), Dried Herb Mixture (stinging nettle, fennel, caraway, chamomile), Egg Yolk, Yucca Schidigera (dried and ground), Silica, Green Mineral Clay, Dried Green Lipped Mussel Meat
Not mostly meat by a long way,also not ingredients that a dog would eat naturally.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I won't argue the point - save I've seen nothing to suggest these "new" methods are any better.
Raw, yes but processed is processed. Some are better than others agreed...

However - it did get me thinking about how you might "preserve" Raw food - obviously the two solutions are either Freeze Dried or Air Dried... both are available commercially...

...but what if you could simply take her normal raw ingredients and dry them? No preservatives and you know what she's eating.
So - would a domestic machine cope with the amount of meat you'd need to dehydrate? I have no idea! Obviously fresh veg etc could be sourced enroute to supplement the meat.
But larger capacity ones are available at a price
Amazon Food Dehydrators
Food for thought :restmycase:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
we have fed our dogs the Sam food for the last 20 years dried hole dog food from our local suppler our last dog lived to 16/3/4years only at a vet twice in her life for first set of injections and a cut paw
our current dog is on the same formula and is ten years old with no health issues he has ben to the vet two times in his life firs time his injections and this time to get his dog pass port sorted out vet say's fin healthy dog
the dog befor thos two lived to 12 year old with on real problem but it was very sudden hart failure
none of our dog's seen a bit of raw meet
bill

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Dried Ground Chicken Meat (28%), Brown Rice (thermally pre-treated)(28%), Dried Ground Herring (9%), Dried Ground Duck (9%), Rice Germ, Maize Germ, Rapeseed Oil, Linseed Oil, Beet (Beta vulgaris), Sea Algae (dried), Vegetable Mixture (parsnip, chard, celery, chicory, parsley roots), Dried Herb Mixture (stinging nettle, fennel, caraway, chamomile), Egg Yolk, Yucca Schidigera (dried and ground), Silica, Green Mineral Clay, Dried Green Lipped Mussel Meat
Not mostly meat by a long way,also not ingredients that a dog would eat naturally.

I agree. I’m just looking for something to supplement the raw. When we’re away. The freeze dried is eye watering expensive

Those ingredients look infinitely better than one of the most popular brands

Cereals (wholegrains 54%), Meat and animal derivatives (15%* in the chunk), Derivatives of vegetable origin, Oils and fats, Vegetable protein extracts, Glycerol, Minerals, Vegetables (1% dried chicory root (natural ingredient), clover and coloured disk: 0,6% dried vegetables, equivalent to 4% vegetables), Propylene glycol.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
try this.
https://www.petplanet.co.uk/product...MIwIL-grfO2AIV6Z3tCh2VSgA6EAQYBSABEgIxEvD_BwE
Fresh chicken meat (13%), fresh turkey meat (7%), fresh whole eggs (7%), fresh chicken liver (6%), fresh whole herring (6%), fresh whole flounder (5%), fresh turkey liver (5%), fresh chicken necks (4%), fresh chicken heart (4%), fresh turkey heart (4%), chicken (dehydrated, 4%), turkey (dehydrated, 4%), whole mackerel (dehydrated, 4%), whole sardine (dehydrated, 4%), whole herring (dehydrated, 4%), whole red lentils, whole green lentils, whole green peas, lentil fiber, whole chickpeas, whole yellow peas, whole pinto beans, whole navy beans, herring oil (1%), chicken fat (1%), chicken cartilage (1%), chicken liver (freeze-dried), turkey liver (freeze-dried), fresh whole pumpkin, fresh whole butternut squash, fresh whole zucchini, fresh whole parsnips, fresh carrots, fresh whole red delicious apples, fresh whole bartlett pears, fresh kale, fresh spinach, fresh beet greens, fresh turnip greens, brown kelp, whole cranberries, whole blueberries, whole saskatoon berries, chicory root, turmeric root, milk thistle, burdock root, lavender, marshmallow root, rosehips, enterococcus faecium.

Reactions: Jim

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/

This comparison site is really useful.

I use Guru which is cold pressed and can be fed along side raw. You only need a small amount so it actually isn’t that expensive.

I top it up with Lily’s kitchen grain free meat.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I can't see anything there that our dog would turn her nose up at.
In fact, if they could add some horse pooh, sheep pooh and goose pooh, our Molly would think it's perfect!
:eek::sick:
i had a springer spanial that would eat anything even ate a neighbors cat once,true:D

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
try this.
https://www.petplanet.co.uk/product...MIwIL-grfO2AIV6Z3tCh2VSgA6EAQYBSABEgIxEvD_BwE
Fresh chicken meat (13%), fresh turkey meat (7%), fresh whole eggs (7%), fresh chicken liver (6%), fresh whole herring (6%), fresh whole flounder (5%), fresh turkey liver (5%), fresh chicken necks (4%), fresh chicken heart (4%), fresh turkey heart (4%), chicken (dehydrated, 4%), turkey (dehydrated, 4%), whole mackerel (dehydrated, 4%), whole sardine (dehydrated, 4%), whole herring (dehydrated, 4%), whole red lentils, whole green lentils, whole green peas, lentil fiber, whole chickpeas, whole yellow peas, whole pinto beans, whole navy beans, herring oil (1%), chicken fat (1%), chicken cartilage (1%), chicken liver (freeze-dried), turkey liver (freeze-dried), fresh whole pumpkin, fresh whole butternut squash, fresh whole zucchini, fresh whole parsnips, fresh carrots, fresh whole red delicious apples, fresh whole bartlett pears, fresh kale, fresh spinach, fresh beet greens, fresh turnip greens, brown kelp, whole cranberries, whole blueberries, whole saskatoon berries, chicory root, turmeric root, milk thistle, burdock root, lavender, marshmallow root, rosehips, enterococcus faecium.
0ur dog could eat that no problem i would think
bill

xgx

Free Member
Jul 7, 2016
North Cambs/South Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
umptynine years
I've used just Chudleys Original with all of my dogs, no raw, no supplements but the occasional chicken bits ...Yorkie (x 3) lived to average age of 17, Crossbreed rescue 15, Lab lived to 14+, Current Yorkie (he's a rescue so no accurate age, approx 5 -7) and he's thriving on it :)
Great for travelling

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I use the good dried stuff that our vet recommends. That's good enough for me and the dog is thriving on it.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
chudleys original ingredients
Ingredients
Wheat, chicken meat meal, maize, chicken fat, barley, rice, chicken liver meal, full fat soya, unmolassed beet pulp, dicalcium phosphate, yeast, salmon oil, salt, blackcurrant extract, taurine, seaweed, with EC permitted antioxidants: mixed tocopherols, vitamin C and rosemary extract.
Analysis
Protein18.0%Fibre3.0%Oil8.5%Ash5.5%Vitamin A12,000iu/kgVitamin D1,200iu/kgVitamin E200mg/kgCopper16mg/kg
its a muesli type dog food,i would never use a muesli type dog food for working dogs.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We have two Whippets and a Vizsla (don't ask) and feed them raw. We can't carry enough in the mh freezer when away and TBH it's difficult to deal with in a relatively confined space so we feed Lilys Kitchen supplemented with supermarket raw chicken wings, chicken legs, and beef mince when away from home. Total convert to raw feeding. They also get cooked and raw veg when at home.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our dogs have tinned or 'tray' type foods mixed with a handful of dry basic biscuit type mixer/complete mixer, usually with a bit of water or thin gravy added ... nothing fancy, always had it and always will ... they've always lived to a good age on it so I'm not changing it now. I'm not a massive fan of dried food on it's own though as it draws moisture out of the digestive system whilst being digested which I think could be part of the problem for dogs as it's not a normal way they'd get food 'in the wild', but that's just a guess.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I use the good dried stuff that our vet recommends. That's good enough for me and the dog is thriving on it.
We have two Whippets and a Vizsla (don't ask) and feed them raw. We can't carry enough in the mh freezer when away and TBH it's difficult to deal with in a relatively confined space so we feed Lilys Kitchen supplemented with supermarket raw chicken wings, chicken legs, and beef mince when away from home. Total convert to raw feeding. They also get cooked and raw veg when at home.
along with the occasional raw child's but cheek :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
bill

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have two Whippets and a Vizsla (don't ask) and feed them raw. We can't carry enough in the mh freezer

We have quite a big freezer and can carry about 7 days worth of fresh meat. But that's only if Siân gives up her half of the freezer, seems she needs a kilo of ice a day for her Gin and Tonic :) So its a fight for space and we can carry about three days. We did manage around 8 weeks away but that was us static and with regular visits to local butchers and the value range and sell by date meats at ASDA.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We have quite a big freezer and can carry about 7 days worth of fresh meat. But that's only if Siân gives up her half of the freezer, seems she needs a kilo of ice a day for her Gin and Tonic :) So its a fight for space and we can carry about three days. We did manage around 8 weeks away but that was us static and with regular visits to local butchers and the value range and sell by date meats at ASDA.
Buy Sian some of these
https://www.johnlewis.com/store/sparq-whisky-rocks-set-of-12/p1451278?navAction=jump

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back