Raw and Cold Pressed Dog Food

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Jim, Jan 10, 2018.

1. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +7,531
    It's the cooking that isn't necessary. Without opposable thumbs and access to matches their natural instinct is to eat uncooked food.:D

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +28,111
    In my experience their nature instinct is to each ANY food .... cooked or not! :D2

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  3. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +7,531
    Oh yes :D l noticed that too.

4. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Ratings:
    +20,833
    Dogs are natures scavengers in their natural habitat. they are used to a varied diet. By eating the same old same old every day, a dog gets bored. We fed all our poocheekins a different thing every day no two days were the same.
    Our Shepard loved Chicken mince and rice for instance, our Beagle cross and Collie cross had frozen Chicken Wings or frozen Goat ribs as a starter every morning as they were put in their run, we never ever gave them dried dog food (biscuits) It was always Pasta, Rice or Veggies with their meat.
    Beagle lived to 15, Shepard till 13, the Collie was still working at 16.

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ratings:
    +99,175
    Jazz loves chicken wings straight out of the freezer. Turkey necks too

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  6. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +10,367
    Yep, Izzy loves a frozen chicken wing too, also chicken feet.

We feed her raw food and have done for a few years. Of course it's a bit easier when your dog only eats 200g of meat a day. I split this over two meals a day, mixed with a couple of table spoons of raw oats, raw veg such as carrots, broccoli, swede, green beans, sweet potatoes, sprouts, peas etc. Twice a week she has a tin of pilchards or sardines in oil and thr odd frozen chicken wing or foot.

I buy any cheap meat from supermarkets and butchers, portion it out into 100g and freeze it, leaving enough unfrozen for the next two or three meals.

@Jim I know Carol and Mike @drago35uk feed their Bernese dogs raw food, might be worth asking them how they manage when away in the van.

Before we started spending so much time abroad we used to feed her this range https://www.naturesmenu.co.uk and still would if I could get it out here.

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +27,933
    Our dogs eat raw food.....if they can catch it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. adt

adt Funster

Ratings:
    +1,314
    Ours have home cooked with a mix of meats and veg. We tend to just allow time for shopping while away and cook a fresh batch every 2 days. Having a small van we only have a small fridge freezer so tend to set off with meals ready for the first 2 days and enough fresh/frozen meat for the next 4.

We’ve had visitors when I’ve been cooking it who have commented how nice it smells and have decided they are coming back in the next life as one of our dogs !!

• Like it Like it x 2
  9. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Ratings:
    +763
    Yup our cats love these and chicks, although we have to defrost the chicks

• Like it Like it x 1
  10. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Ratings:
    +20,833

They are a great treat for your furry person, just like giving a kid a lolly.
    We gave them to ours as they were put in their run for the day while we went to work. By the time they realised we were up the right of way and well on the way to work, they had a full belly so slept, no barking to annoy the neighbours, really well behaved.

11. Alcemi

Alcemi Funster

Ratings:
    +37
    Our Portuguese Water Dog has kibble from Fish4Dogs as his main meals - a compromise, but better quality than a lot of the kibble out there - he loves it, and it’s very easy to travel with a sack of it in the locker!
    (Obviously supplemented with bits of raw carrot, leftover broccoli, cabbage, cheese, and whatever other scraps he can persuade us to part with!)
    He also loves their sea jerky skinny strips - basically crunchy dried fish skin... This may not be the best diet for those who don’t like the smell of fish!! ;)

White fish variety:
    Composition:
    Ocean White Fish (27%), Potato (23%), Pea Flour (21%), Salmon Meal (12%), Salmon Oil (8.7%), Beet Pulp, Brewers Yeast, Sunflower Oil, Minerals

Sardine variety - has sweet potato instead of potato:
    Composition:
    Sardine (26%), Sweet Potato (23%), Salmon Meal (19%), Pea Flour (19%), Beet Pulp, Salmon Oil, Brewers Yeast, Sunflower Oil, Minerals

• Like it Like it x 1
  12. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Ratings:
    +12,843
  13. poki

poki Funster

Ratings:
    +566
    I have known for years that you should never feed fresh mince or meat to dogs without freezing it first as it can cause neosporisis which affects the brain and spine ..If you buy fresh the fresh pet mince from your local butcher or have it delivered fresh from an abbattoir etc always freeze it first. Neosporosis is terrble and can be fatal...

Silvia

14. ronidog1

ronidog1 Funster

Ratings:
    +182
    Frozen Food like Benyfit natural is all classed as human grade and is licensed by DEFRA.

15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +28,111
    http://www.naturalholistic.com/handouts/neospora.htm

16. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Ratings:
    +4,522
    I don't have a dog, but remember that my mother who showed dogs and was very involved with them used Laughing Dog which was delivered in large bags, and since it's so long ago I was surprised to see it's a favourite on Amazon...

17. Beemobile

Beemobile Funster

Ratings:
    +94
    You are so right Poki, best advice for feeding raw meat, freeze it first every time, I have used Arden Grange or Burns for years, when my nine and a half Boxer had to be operated on for torsion, I feared the worst as their estimated life span was ten/eleven years, the vet said to feed her with very sloppy food, Arden Grange advised I soaked a cup of their Prestige and feed twice a day, it absorbed the water very quickly and this she had for another three and three quarter years, I think that without their help she would have had a recurrence, as it was she died peacefully of old age.
    Cancer plagues dogs and humans, just can't pass blame to the food.

18. Leltel

Leltel Funster

Ratings:
    +255
    We have started feeding the boys guru, they seem to love it and it seems to agree with them.
    They do a trial pack if you go on their web page

• Like it Like it x 1
  19. Ninovan

Ninovan Funster

Ratings:
    +533
    Had you thought about Hill's Scientific Diet? Usually seen in vets, but should be able to order on line.

20. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ratings:
    +99,175
    Yes its a common food found for sale at Vets. You'd think the vet would be more interested in pet health than profit wouldn't you? Just look at the rubbish in that food. IMO they sell it because it gives them a good markup and that it ensures they get to see the dog often.

Ingredients: Chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, pork meal, whole grain wheat, whole grain corn, whole grain sorghum, corn gluten meal, pork fat, chicken liver flavor, dried beet pulp, fish oil, flaxseed, lactic acid, pork flavor, soybean oil, dicalcium phosphate, iodized salt, potassium chloride, l-lysine, choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), niacin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, biotin, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement), minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), taurine, oat fiber, mixed tocopherols for freshness, natural flavors, beta-carotene, apples, broccoli, carrots, cranberries, green peas

Fiber (estimated dry matter content) = 1.7%

Red items indicate controversial ingredients