Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
A couple of questions, only 2 for now as can't remember what the others were🙈🙈🙈🙈

HAIRDRYER - if ampage available is low in France which hairdryers do you use. (pressure on to get this right as management has asked me this.)

BATTERY: our trip in a few weeks may lead us pitching without EHU, ha..... NEW TERRITORY for us. How low would you let your battery get before it gets TOO LOW. We have solar panels and I will always be mindful of battery levels but just interested of your thoughts.

Now what were the other questions🤔🤔🤔

About to live the dream.

Cheers Smudger55

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have never had a problem at any site with my travel kettle and I am pretty sure my hairdryer is lower wattage than that so never had any problem. However I do have a travel version - bought in German supermarket - as when using site facilities I find it easier to have one with a european plug.
Travel versions are inexpensive and generally are lower wattage.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Answer to question 1. Use hairdryer when on Hook up, unless you have a very large inverter, loads of battery capacity and loads of solar. (In essence and in your case, only when on hook up!
Answer to question 2. Depends on type of batteries, size of battery bank and amount of solar ? Also, its very difficult to know your true battery state when there is a load on it. Assuming you have Lead Acid batteries, the rule of thumb is not to let them discharge below 50% of their total capacity. You could try and work out how many amps your drawing in an hour with some basic maths and take it from there. Or just do the trial and error method. Assuming your fridge is on all the time, you could try the TV for 2 hours, laptop for 1 hour lights for 3 hours and wait and see how you get on first thing in the morning before your solar starts replenishing the battery as this would be the voltage you would be seeing on your panel rather that the true state of the batteries. Its really a case of trial and error and building up some knowledge and experience of your energy usage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Or you could quickly fit a lithium battery and inverter for around 1k ......:eek::eek:

Seriously, don't worry, adapt to the situation wherever you find yourselves and have a great time

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Answer to question 1. Use hairdryer when on Hook up, unless you have a very large inverter, loads of battery capacity and loads of solar. (In essence and in your case, only when on hook up!
Answer to question 2. Depends on type of batteries, size of battery bank and amount of solar ? Also, its very difficult to know your true battery state when there is a load on it. Assuming you have Lead Acid batteries, the rule of thumb is not to let them discharge below 50% of their total capacity. You could try and work out how many amps your drawing in an hour with some basic maths and take it from there. Or just do the trial and error method. Assuming your fridge is on all the time, you could try the TV for 2 hours, laptop for 1 hour lights for 3 hours and wait and see how you get on first thing in the morning before your solar starts replenishing the battery as this would be the voltage you would be seeing on your panel rather that the true state of the batteries. Its really a case of trial and error and building up some knowledge and experience of your energy usage.
Exactly what he said.

How much battery versus how much usage versus versus how much travelling/solar replenishment.

If youre not charging E bikes, not using leccy for your fridge, just watching a couple of hours of 12 volt TV and charging phones with 12 volt lighting and only have 100 watts of solar and 100 amps of battery, you ll be fine. (probably for a couple of days in case you park in a tunnel)

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Have never run out of power in France. Only every once used hook up... Or should that be lash up with multiple connectors off connectors on an Aire. However we don't carry a hair dryer or TV, and do not watch any soaps at home We are on holiday so hair drys naturally which is much better for it, stops split ends and reduces dandruff. If we need to catch up on the news it's the laptop and free wi-fi. McDonald's is fairly reliable... Other food outlets with free wi-fi are available.

Upvote 0

Brody

Free Member
Jul 11, 2022
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
Back motorhoming after a 6ish year break!
No clue about the battery but we take a travel hairdryer.

I've never used it though tbh, I let my hair dry naturally the majority of the time. We put it in for the daughter (17) but funnily enough she hasn't used it either (yet)!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Smudger55
Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
Remembered next questions:

Having stayed only on sites in UK, we do tend to leave everything out but with the sort of stop overs we "might" let's say Aires and normal site what do you do?

This trip we'll be going out shopping and possibly leaving our pitches on a regular basis, should we get a pitch taken marker or not worry.

Cheers Smudger55

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
When using the hairdryer, probably better to switch off anything else that is drawing electric at the same time, like heating/ hot water (even more so if Alde system) & tv.

You should easily be ok off grid for a few days with the set up you have. Just be mindful and switch off heating/ hot water, tv & lights when not needed.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Remembered next questions:

Having stayed only on sites in UK, we do tend to leave everything out but with the sort of stop overs we "might" let's say Aires and normal site what do you do?

This trip we'll be going out shopping and possibly leaving our pitches on a regular basis, should we get a pitch taken marker or not worry.

Cheers Smudger55
When you arrive at your chosen stopover, just watch how the other motorhomes are behaving and follow suit. Some Aires/Stopovers forbid anything other than your tyres to be in contact with the ground and you will know this as soon as you pull in as the vast majority of Motorhome users obey the rules. Even if by accident you fall foul of the rules and pulled up by the plod, it is highly unlikely you will be fined. Just treat them with the curtesy they deserve and they will respond likewise, with a gentle rebuke. Europe is much more relaxed and accepting of motorhomes than the UK, although there has been some adjustments to rules in some countries, i.e. Portugal but still so much better than the UK. Just enjoy your trip. N.B. If you leave your pitch empty, it might well be taken up by anouther motorhome. Unless your on a campsite, do not expect to reserve your place and drive off for a few hours. Best plan of action is to hit one of the many supermarkets before pitching up for a few days or choose an Aire within walking distance of a supermarket.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
When you arrive at your chosen stopover, just watch how the other motorhomes are behaving and follow suit. Some Aires/Stopovers forbid anything other than your tyres to be in contact with the ground and you will know this as soon as you pull in as the vast majority of Motorhome users obey the rules. Even if by accident you fall foul of the rules and pulled up by the plod, it is highly unlikely you will be fined. Just treat them with the curtesy they deserve and they will respond likewise, with a gentle rebuke. Europe is much more relaxed and accepting of motorhomes than the UK, although there has been some adjustments to rules in some countries, i.e. Portugal but still so much better than the UK. Just enjoy your trip. N.B. If you leave your pitch empty, it might well be taken up by anouther motorhome. Unless your on a campsite, do not expect to reserve your place and drive off for a few hours. Best plan of action is to hit one of the many supermarkets before pitching up for a few days or choose an Aire within walking distance of a supermarket.
What he said

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Management, having long hair, uses a towel then allows it to dry naturally. We stopped bringing a travel hairdryer. Same for the travel iron :gum:
There's the Afghan Hound solution, head out the window in the breeze, locks flowing behind ? That would definitely be a whack round the ear from Mrs BBF if I suggested that to her.
Mike.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
When using the hairdryer, probably better to switch off anything else that is drawing electric at the same time, like heating/ hot water (even more so if Alde system) & tv.

You should easily be ok off grid for a few days with the set up you have. Just be mindful and switch off heating/ hot water, tv & lights when not needed.
Also anything that needs charging - do it during the day so solar has a chance to recharge main battery.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2022
Inverurie, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I 720
Exp
Since 2018
FRESH WATER : maybe a daft question but are you allowed to take fresh water in your tank across into France?

Getting excited we set off on Sunday.
I’m off in a couple of weeks too for the first time….every plan we had for the past three years got torpedoed. But off to Portugal via Santander and back up through Spain and France and home via Dieppe. All the posts on European adventures have been greedily devoured. Thanks one and all. 👍😉😎

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
After a few days you’ll wonder why you didn’t do it sooner and when you’re back you’ll be planning the next trip out …😎

I can smell the warm croissant and feel the crack of the baguette as I nibble a bit off the end on the way back to the MH.:Grin:

Then sitting overlooking the river/canal watching boats passing and feel the relaxation pouring through one's veins.

Oh! Is it time for a nice chilled Chablis already? - Quel Surprise!

A votre sante Just smiffy

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I can smell the warm croissant and feel the crack of the baguette as I nibble a bit off the end on the way back to the MH.:Grin:

Then sitting overlooking the river/canal watching boats passing and feel the relaxation pouring through one's veins.

Oh! Is it time for a nice chilled Chablis already? - Quel Surprise!

A votre sante Just smiffy

I’ll be doing just that in may…. Cheers 🍷

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Will you lot PLEASE stop banging on about France! I have to make do with some reduced price croissants from Tesco's until we get over there in June.

Certainly not. It is the only thing that keeps us going through winter.

I may stop about France when that trip is over and the next trip is to Greece and I am contemplating parking at a quiet beach, swimming in crystal clear waters, walking to the taverna for grilled fresh fish and watching the sun set into a blue sea.

WE are booked Ancona-Patras 4th Sept. :Grin:

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Management, having long hair, uses a towel then allows it to dry naturally. We stopped bringing a travel hairdryer. Same for the travel iron :gum:
You should see my iron!!
At first I was using pebbles that I was choosing with a lot of care. I used to just put in the sun those I had chosen according to what I was going to iron... perfect job!
Now I have my granny's old iron. You know the type of iron they used to put on the cooker, old cooker with fire underneath and then were ironing their stuff holding it with kitchen towels! Nowadays lucky me, it's a special glove you use to take things out of the oven when very hot!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I may stop about France when that trip is over and the next trip is to Greece and I am contemplating parking at a quiet beach, swimming in crystal clear waters, walking to the taverna for grilled fresh fish and watching the sun set into a blue sea.
This beautifully encapsulates our experience of Greece in 2017. So far the highlight of our, albeit limited, motor-homing experience. Aiming to repeat it in September all things remaining the same (doubtful). 🙂

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Certainly not. It is the only thing that keeps us going through winter.

WE are booked Ancona-Patras 4th Sept. :Grin:

In that case I’ll start crowing about Greece from next Friday onwards - after making it down through France and Italy to the ferry. Anything in particular I shouldn’t go on about? :LOL:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back