Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I drained down during the last freezing spell and before that the pump struggled to switch itself off.
I have refilled again' until the next freezing spell just to have a couple of showers and the pump is struggling to switch off again.
It's under the cooker and if I reach in while it's in operation and tap it with something after a while it will start.
I managed a shower that way yesterday by leaving the water running but as soon as I switched it off it wouldn't come back on again. I can hear it whirring under the cooker so it's trying.
Any ideas as to why it's doing this?
Don't tell me it's time for a new one? It's an 09 van with the original pump I guess.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
You havent got a leak somewhere and its sucking air , so not priming properly ?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Is the water frozen in pipework?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Is the water frozen in pipework?
No it's all defrosted now. I've had hot water running through it. For my shower It did work for a while without splutter. Now just whirring.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Is there enough water in tank?
Loose wire on pump?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If its whirring then wiring is OK , its got to be on the water side of things .
What sort of pump is it , ie centrifugal or diaphragm ?

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I must admit if there are no air locks and that sounds unlikely as it works intermittently then it would seem to be a dying pump. They are not to expensive and if the old one can be fixed later you have a spare. The replacement is not too difficult as long as you have access to the fittings.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
If it' a surflow pump it could be the Diaphragm that' on its way out.Thats what was wrong with mine.I got a Diaphragm kit from Leisure direct.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
VI still couldn't get the pump to poo up water so I filled up to 100% ,it still wouldn't pump water even though I could hear it whirring so I whacked it gently with something hard.
Then I thought of letting a little water out of the boiler so I raised the little yellow lever and I could hear the water going in the shower room, afraid to turn it off I jumped in the shower leaving It running until I finished.
So when I finished I tried it again after turning it off and it worked.
It must have had an air lock in the boiler.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If its a problem see if there is a plastic bowl on top of the pump on our old van it had gone from clear to opaque and had a crack in it. Cheap to replace easy and sorted it.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The issue I had on mine was with a sureflo and the screw that sets the turn on/off had worked itself out. Initially tapping it sorted it out. But after a few months it just refused to turn on. I replaced the pump and when I had them side by side noticed that the old one had the screw all the way out. It is now my spare once I adjusted the screw back in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back