Pulled in by police at dover ferry terminal (1 Viewer)

iconic

Free Member
Feb 5, 2009
Lancs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
17 Years
On way to spain on sunday we were pulled to by police is this your van sir yes i replied i have had it from new auto trail 660 he then asked for documents after ten minutes he told us our van had been cloned not the best news to start our holls hope we have not got post when we get home

OP
OP
I

iconic

Free Member
Feb 5, 2009
Lancs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
17 Years
In a rush to catch ferry could not think mind or brain not in gear will hopefully have some good news when we get home

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
Our numberplate was cloned (or something) and we received a speeding ticket in the post from Cumbria. Luckily the tracker was able to prove where we had been, and that our vehicle had not even been within three counties of Carlisle. Good old tracker paid for itself - not sure how I could otherwise have evidenced our innocence - unless the number was being used on a completely different make/model...

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
My car was cloned a few years back. First I knew I got a fine for driving in a bus lane in Cardiff, a city I hadn’t visited for years, and not in that car. Take photos of your van, especially the front windscreen. If you have any particular stickers ( Fun sticker?), show radio aerial position. Then if any “fines” arrive you can send a photo of your van. Also when you get home round up any receipts for the past couple of weeks. I had an ATM receipt showing I was in Torquay less than 2 hours before the offence in Cardiff.
The DVLA were hopeless. Police told me to report it to them, I got a letter saying they could confirm that my car was the only one registered with my number ( no sh** Sherlock, quelle surprise)
Enjoy your trip, don’t worry as at least you’ve got the log of Dover police checking you.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
In a former job a company car was cloned, the clone racking up an impressively large stack of fixed penalty notices caused loads of police attention.
It only died down after our insurers confirmed our vehicle had in fact been declared a total loss following being rolled down a motorway embankment two weeks before the alleged offences!
As Hollyberry found DVLA were worse than useless.
The police didn’t seem to trust the cctv showing destruction of our vehicle in the accident!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Get yourself an easily identifiable sticker in your windscreen asap
it will help prove it wasnt you if the cloned MoHo is same as yours

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
We had congestion charges for London whilst we lived in Wick. Never ever took the car further south than Aberdeen. Close examination of their camera showed their car had windscreen stickers whereas ours did not.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Its so easy to do. You can buy number plates on line with no evidence of owning the vehicle. I have done this several times for trailer boards, as cheaper than Halfords who require every conceivable id.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
A few years back our daughter rang us while we were away to say a penalty notice was sent to our house for the dumping of rubbish in the hedgerow in Suffolk. They said it was a white vehicle with our reg. on, we had a Dodge Ram at the time towing a fifth wheel. We were staying at a Funsters place near Taunton, they have a market garden with CCTV and clearly showed us as being there at the time, thankfully.

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
Our numberplate was cloned (or something) and we received a speeding ticket in the post from Cumbria. Luckily the tracker was able to prove where we had been, and that our vehicle had not even been within three counties of Carlisle. Good old tracker paid for itself - not sure how I could otherwise have evidenced our innocence - unless the number was being used on a completely different make/model...

Easy to check. Enter your reg in DVLA's 'check a vehicle' facility. Your vehicle, make, model, [& colour I think] , will come up. Confirm this is yours. DVLA will then show the other details attached to it - MoT and tax. Snip, paste and print this info into your response to the tikky. The offending vehicle will be different in all respects other than reg - inc no MoT or tax, more than likely. No need to prove you weren't at that location.

I was 'done' for an illegal turn at a road junction in Kingston-on-Thames. The above method was accepted without demur by Kingston ticket office. The photo on the ticket showed a Vaux Astra. My Vaux Movano 3.5 tonne self-build was parked in a garage in Valencia at the time.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Maybe used your numbers to take a stolen van abroad.

Yes it would be interesting to know what caused the reg to be flagged up by the police there. It could perhaps help partially track down a stolen vehicle that has been taken abroad. I am presuming the cloned reg would have to have been on the same type van or else border patrol would have clocked it so any auto trails been reported stolen recently?

Saying that I suppose whoever is driving around with your cloned reg may have just clocked up a few tickets or not paid for fuel or something and that was the reason it was on they system.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Yes it would be interesting to know what caused the reg to be flagged up by the police there. It could perhaps help partially track down a stolen vehicle that has been taken abroad. I am presuming the cloned reg would have to have been on the same type van or else border patrol would have clocked it so any auto trails been reported stolen recently?

Saying that I suppose whoever is driving around with your cloned reg may have just clocked up a few tickets or not paid for fuel or something and that was the reason it was on they system.
I doubt if border patrol would notice a different van type than on the registration docs, which they don't seem to examine. Just another motorhome, and it would flag up as insured, taxed etc on anpr checks assuming the owner of the original plates was legal.
It must be very easy to do.

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
Easy to check. Enter your reg in DVLA's 'check a vehicle' facility. Your vehicle, make, model, [& colour I think] , will come up. Confirm this is yours. DVLA will then show the other details attached to it - MoT and tax. Snip, paste and print this info into your response to the tikky. The offending vehicle will be different in all respects other than reg - inc no MoT or tax, more than likely. No need to prove you weren't at that location.

I was 'done' for an illegal turn at a road junction in Kingston-on-Thames. The above method was accepted without demur by Kingston ticket office. The photo on the ticket showed a Vaux Astra. My Vaux Movano 3.5 tonne self-build was parked in a garage in Valencia at the time.
We even got a letter of apology from Cumbria police.

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
A few years ago My next door neighbour informed me that the Old Bill had been looking for me. They had told my neighbours, who are very law abiding people, that my van had been used in a wages van ram raid and did they, my neighbours, know my whereabouts. It transpired this was also a clone plate occasion. What the law were thinking I have no idea but to warn me indirectly that they were looking for me was not the brightest move. They finally decided that for me to use a sign written van with my phone number on the side was not the work of a criminal mastermind. I did occasionally notice the next doors regarding me with suspicion ever after.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back