Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
uk is cheaper for many things . i take about 2hundred quids worth of dried tinned food save about 30 quid . mind with the pound down it will be more . you really have to go look see what you can buy or like . if its cheaper buy it . i bring some things back . specially beer etc . dont buy beer in uk bring enough back to last 6 months . or more . and spanish brandy goes down lovely.
uk could be cheapest place in europe for many things . didnt used to be but clothes ,shoes . car parts ,tyres ,batteries all cheaper in uk.
but go look find out what you like and look at prices . its not life changing differances .

Last edited:

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We've lived in Spain for 13 years and find that the cost of food and drink in general is lower than France, Germany, UK and most of other EU countries we've visited in that time. I have to say that variety of products in Spanish supermarkets doesn't come close to what can be found in UK, France or Germany.

Reactions: f6c

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
spain used to be very good prices , but it started to change about the time the euro came out . since then every year some things seem expensive . like tinned sardines or just cheap long grained rice .
mind i do bring mortadela back . great in sarnies etc . bit like spam. my kids and grandkids love it .
but price a tin of corned beef up. far better in uk.
bread here in uk 40p for a supermarket sliced loaf . 95 cents in spain . but you have to buy it . cant take enough for 6 months .
chedder cheese well if you dont take . its expensive in spain . porridge oats again take them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
We are in Europe for around 10 months of the year split up into 2 or 3 trips, when we leave the UK we take a small amount of the things we like, when abroad we mostly buy local and guess what.......when we come back to the UK we bring a small amount of the things we like from wherever we are returning from and then we buy local.

Part of the experience of touring and living abroad is sampling the local food and culture, which we do, but there are parts of our own culture and food that I also like and when away for extended periods it is nice to indulge in corn beef hash or spam'n' beans occasionally:)

I wonder how many of the 'only eat local' types need to access uk tv etc when abroad!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
30 odd euros a kg dont think so, 8 at the most at home we usually get a 2.5 kg block for a tenner.
We found cheese here the dearest thing compared to UK.
8euros per kilo at our local market for most cheeses but a few like Roquefort 11 euros . Never buy supermarket cheese !!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
part of being away in the van is eat what the locals eat and use the restaurants that locals use. Have had some amazing meals doing this, eating food with names I couldn't pronounce. much the same with drinks

Deleted User
8euros per kilo at our local market for most cheeses but a few like Roquefort 11 euros . Never buy supermarket cheese !!

Put a nought on the end of that and you would be nearer to the price that we paid for the farmhouse comte!!.......on a market!!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Put a nought on the end of that and you would be nearer to the price that we paid for the farmhouse comte!!.......on a market!!
We have been here 13 years and agree supermarket is expensive for cheese and also some markets too but our local cheese man is very cheap and a huge selection and with very long queues !!!

Deleted User
We have been here 13 years and agree supermarket is expensive for cheese and also some markets too but our local cheese man is very cheap and a huge selection and with very long queues !!!

He will be at those prices:)

We don't normally pay anything like that but the 2 nice young ladies offered us a taste, very nice we thought( cheese was nice too ) no prices showing so we thought can't be that expensive........€13 for a piece maybe 200g........live & learn!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

We don't normally pay anything like that but the 2 nice young ladies offered us a taste, very nice we thought( cheese was nice too ) no prices showing so we thought can't be that expensive........€13 for a piece maybe 200g........live & learn!
sounds like a tourist scam to me

Deleted User
sounds like a tourist scam to me
Could well be but it is a local market that we use a lot and have seen cheese of this sort at similar prices since.......cos we looked........but didn't buy:)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I can only think of a couple of world class foods coming out of Britain (apart from whisky, which strictly speaking isn't a food) - one is Stilton, and I can't remember what the other one is.

Err.. Warburtons bread... With captain birdseye's fish fingers on it :inlove:

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Packing van soon for trip to Spain for 5 months
Being early retirees on a budget is it better to stock up as much as weight allows or just use the supermarkets in Spain ? We also have two large hungry Golden Retrievers. Is dog food cheaper? Any tips
Thanks

May be an odd tip this one, but, here goes.

I love tomatoes, good tasty ones with a pinch of salt and pepper. I can eat them with almost anything.

But Spanish ones are tasteless, mostly. So bad, there is even reference as to how bad they are in a Robert De Niro film "The Family" set in France.

If you like tomatoes, there is a variety grown in Spain that have a pale look with a green vein running through them, taste bloody lovely. I will try to look up the name.

If you don't like tomatoes, I have wasted our time...........

Otherwise, hasta luego

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Just an observation based on living in France. Brits buy on price, French buy on quality.

If you don't like the price of some French cheese why buy? Except of course to then complain about prices in France.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We saw Brussel Sprouts in a supermarket in Italy yesterday - a rare sighting in Europe. It must be getting close to Christmas. :)

And the large knobbly tomatoes you sometimes see are very flavoursome. Sliced on a plate, dribbled with olive oil, fresh basil leaves sprinkled over them and then fresh mozzarella crumbled over the top. Add salt and black pepper. One of our favourite lunches when eaten with crusty bread.

Last edited:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We were actually really disappointed with the fruit and vegetables in Spain last month. All the oranges were dry and tasteless, the tomatoes and apples pappy.
We did enjoy some gorgeous figs and melon though.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Always eat the local food when on holiday but without fail take my Jammie Dodgers and McVitie digestives...

Been to a fair few places around the world and never found any other biscuits worth having..

Deleted User
We were actually really disappointed with the fruit and vegetables in Spain last month. All the oranges were dry and tasteless, the tomatoes and apples pappy.
We did enjoy some gorgeous figs and melon though.

The oranges are out of season so they would either be imported or last seasons.

A tomato is a tomato to me:D

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Been there done,in France,,will never do it again,,BUSBY,,

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Can't get my head round people saying food in Spain is dear, as it's not been our experience at all. Obviously, some top-of-the-range specialities are expensive, such as jamon Iberico de bellota which might set you back €275 for a whole leg, while in the UK you can get it for a snip at £375!!

I've just remembered what the other "world class" food from Britain is (well, from Scotland really) - Aberdeen-Angus beef, slow grown, grass fed, pampered, kept like friends of the family, slaughtered with respect and hung at least 2 weeks. Delicious. Well, I would say that as we had a small herd at one time and always ate our own and have never tasted a sirloin steak as good since we've had to buy at the butchers or even direct from the farm. Although we did have an excellent solomio at Christmas from a small butcher in a mountain village south of Valencia.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
May be an odd tip this one, but, here goes.

I love tomatoes, good tasty ones with a pinch of salt and pepper. I can eat them with almost anything.

But Spanish ones are tasteless, mostly. So bad, there is even reference as to how bad they are in a Robert De Niro film "The Family" set in France.

If you like tomatoes, there is a variety grown in Spain that have a pale look with a green vein running through them, taste bloody lovely. I will try to look up the name.

If you don't like tomatoes, I have wasted our time...........

Otherwise, hasta luego

Kumato tomatoes

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back