Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Hi all, I have just got a pressure cooker, I've been looking at cooking times for various things and the HIP charts seem good-but.
I want to cook duck legs and I've found one recipe that reckons 40-45 mins but the HIP charts reckon 8 mins, bit of discrepancy there, so I'm not sure which to believe!
I was going to treat them the same way-to start with-as I do for the slow pot that is brown them off, put in cooker with red wine, black currant jam and port but then not sure how long to cook for.
Any ideas?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There's no way you would cook legs for 8 mins in a 'stock', on their own maybe, so I'd go for the 40-45 minutes, similar recipe to your's here but in an orange sauce:

http://www.steffensdinners.com/content/duck_legs_orange_sauce_(pressure_cooker)

There's no reason at all why you couldn't stop the cooker at say 40 mins and then just leave it without letting the pressure off so it keeps gently cooking.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I want to cook duck legs and I've found one recipe that reckons 40-45 mins but the HIP charts reckon 8 mins, bit of discrepancy there, so I'm not sure which to believe!
I've always found the HIPPressureCooking charts to be pretty good, but I notice for duck they just say "pieces"...so possibly thats for breast rather than legs? 8 minutes definitely sounds too short, 40-45 mins sounds much more likely. I'd also make sure you use a natural release....after getting those duck legs nice and tender you don't want them toughening up again if you release the pressure too quickly (y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would cook for 12-15 mins then leave for pressure to drop . then open and try one . you could put the cooker in cold water to drop the pressure quicker then open and try . takes a bit of practice getting used to times that suit your tastes .
go on give it a try . mmmmm.
let us know how you get on .

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I thought a pressure cooker was designed to reduce cooking times, so would have thought 45 mins is a bit long.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I thought a pressure cooker was designed to reduce cooking times, so would have thought 45 mins is a bit long.
Duck legs though, like turkey legs, can be a bit tough, so usually need longer cooking especially IN A LIQUID, if they are just being cooked on their own though they would need a shorter cooking time and of course it makes a difference on how many there are, how 'stacked' they are and how big ...

You can always open the pressure cooker after say 20 mins and see what they're like and put them back on to finish off, won't do them any harm at all.

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Thanks for the replies.
Before the Pressure Cooker I would do the Duck legs either in the slow pot (for several hours) with wine & blackcurrant jam, or dry in the Remoska (come out roasted) for about 1 hour.
Last night the Legs had most of their fat & skin cut off, browned along with onion & garlic, then with red wine & the jam got about 40 mins in the PC, I let the pressure drop a bit then used cold water.
They were lovely!!!!
Hubby said I can do them again!
Thanks again to vwalan as it was his brains I picked about Pressure Cookers.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Thanks for the replies.
Before the Pressure Cooker I would do the Duck legs either in the slow pot (for several hours) with wine & blackcurrant jam, or dry in the Remoska (come out roasted) for about 1 hour.
Last night the Legs had most of their fat & skin cut off, browned along with onion & garlic, then with red wine & the jam got about 40 mins in the PC, I let the pressure drop a bit then used cold water.
They were lovely!!!!
Hubby said I can do them again!
Thanks again to vwalan as it was his brains I picked about Pressure Cookers.
good one . but i think that might be too long .
really it depends on the weight of the duck . its usually about 12-15 minutes a pound for poultry. mind i say if browned off before or slipped under the grill to brown off after wards you can do a bit more weight .
after a few goes you will find if you can shorten the time or not .
not a duck or goose lover myself . nice chicken much better.
i prefer pork or gammon really.
spare rib of pork is my favourite . either in a joint or sliced as a steak or a chop.

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Yes to above the Duck legs-2 off-would have been fine at 25-30 mins but this is a learning curve.
Going to do a whole chicken tonight!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
practice makes perfect .
in my old vw t2 only had two burners and grill. always amazed folk ,could be on the beach at agadir and let them see the raw chicken then later roast chicken , veg and then christmas pud all cooked on the cooker .
they didnt know after cooking it in pressure cooker quarter the ckicken then brown under grill. it looked roaste . while browning cook veg . then put christmas pud in pressure cooker while eating dinner so cooked hot pud for afters . i did have tinned custard ,i cheated there.
but quick easy no mess and no oven .
mind chopping the meat if beef or pork cooks much quicker cook in with the veg. . my kids say every thing is a stew , but nice .

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes to above the Duck legs-2 off-would have been fine at 25-30 mins but this is a learning curve.
Going to do a whole chicken tonight!

It's good when you have to go on to MotorhomeFun to find out what you've got for dinner

But it did turn out very good
Thank you.

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I'm getting the hang of this pressure cooking now, just rendering the Chick carcass down for soup/stock!
I'll put this on here so he knows what he's getting tonight-Beef! The

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back