Polytunnels Of Campo de Dalias, Almería (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
We would like to go and see the vast area of polytunnels near Almería.

Can anyone suggest an area higher up that we could get an overview, I’ve read somewhere that there’s a road goes up from Dalias which has a good view point but it suggested that the road was closed during the winter months!

And any suggestions for an Aire/parking spot that way would be handy.

Thanks, Shawn

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Strange as it’s an area we keep away from having first seen them in 2006, Google earth will give you the best view.
we think it’ll bring a reality to us and hopefully when we are back in the UK we will think twice about buying something that has traveled so far just to give us cheap food.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Here you are:

Screenshot_20230115_183248_Maps.jpg

But for how much longer? There are already issues over the water they need.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
If you travel down the east side of Spain and head to Almerimar you will pass loads of them and get a good feel for the area.

I cannot recommend a high up place though. Parking in the Harbour at Almerimar is a good stop if you’re in the area though with lots of eateries and a nice outlook to the bay, beach and distant hills. Great for watching kite surfing too.

One thing I would say though is check the weather forecast before you go, because if it’s windy you really feel it! There is alternative parking at the other end of the harbour which is more sheltered but without the view.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Just drive down the motorway and you will see them for mile after mile after mile and the plastic factories to supply them every 20 miles or so apart. Not a pretty sight for sure but a very practical way to create something out of what would otherwise be waste land

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It’s a fantastic coast line along there though and once you get through the poly tunnels it’s a lovely place, lots of good camping at Roquetas de Mar and plenty of lovely beaches with good wild camping opportunities…. Northernraider was along there not long ago…😎

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I think there is a murder mystery series which i think was on Netflix which I think was called Plastico covering that whole area

And having checked I was nearly right "Mar de Plastico"

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I don't know why anyone would want to go see it but I also don't understand people's objections to it , it's only farms under cover. It's a dry area so the greenhouses are necessary.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
This link is an extract of the episode in which Simon Reeve did an article on this - it's worth digging out the whole episode to watch.
More disturbing is the use of illegal immigrants as slave labour in the greenhouses. See https://thetvdb.com/series/mediterranean-with-simon-reeve/episodes/6857484 for the episode synopsis.
A quick Google search should find a multitude of articles written about these appalling conditions (eg https://www.aljazeera.com/features/...ot-aware-we-are-slaves-inside-the-greenhouses).
Nothing is done, however, as the demand for cheap out of season fruit & veg for the Northern European markets is highly profitable. And that money buys silence..

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Anyone know what they actually grow in them..... one crop or multiple crops... thanks
A variety - cherry tomatoes, red, green, yellow peppers, cucumbers etc. If you look at the box in your local shop and it refers to EL Ejido or close then it's from down there. The likes of tesco, Aldi & Lidl have been driving the market prices down so aggressively that in recent years we've had farmers dumping hundreds of tons of veg in protest.
The whole thing is an absolute s5i7 storm, to be honest, with the sin papeles caught in the cross fire,with no health support, no passports, no way back and no way out apart from an early grave due to alcoholism, drugs or poisoning from the pesticides.
But no one gives a damn about them, as long as they can get cheap produce in the supermarket.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011

Can anyone suggest an area higher up that we could get an overview, I’ve read somewhere that there’s a road goes up from Dalias which has a good view point but it suggested that the road was closed during the winter months!

Thanks, Shawn
Go up to Tabernas and you can go up to the big radar stations along the ridge of mountains which look down over to Cabo De Gata😊
actually a lovely view although plastic is there🙄😊

wp1234

Free Member
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010

Thanks, Shawn
Why….the Costas are bad at the best of times but this area is the pits imo.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
But for how much longer? There are already issues over the water they need.
Whilst they allow unregulated land reclamation, including making mountanous areas flat along with unregulated increased crop plantings , including high water requiring fruits , there is no chance of anything being done. they need to stop all that first
Anyone know what they actually grow in them..... one crop or multiple crops...
as said plus up here now they are tending to fence in peaches , nectarines ,etc, & cover with a mesh membrane & over the last few years 00's of 000's of acres around here have been levelled & planted with vines for eating grapes along with the steel frames & supporting wires all yet again covered with the breathable mesh roof to retain heat & force grow the product.

**Oh & to the OP the best view is from a window of a plane landing at Almeria airport.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back