Polish (1 Viewer)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Need a good easy spray polish / wax for the new van, going to wash and polish the next few days as the weather looks good so might as well take the opportunity while it's still on the drive , as you never know when it's going to change , so if you could recommend any I need to get it tomorrow as I will need to take my time with it .

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
There was a member on here called Charlie, who started a number of different Threads on Cleaning Motorhomes.

Search for Charlies Guide to see them all. - Tick "Search Titles Only"

A great source of information.

This is one of them. Waxes, Sealants and Polish

Reactions: f6c
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Do you need polish,or do you need wax,that is the question. I don’t know the answer.

The other thing to note is...what is your van made of,and what panels need what treatment. e.g.fibreglass may need different from metal.

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Nothing in your case but give it 10 months when things start to get black rain marks and after winter. Many years of boating on a GRP hull, I haven't found anything better than Starbrite cleaner wax. Does what it says, cleans off all the black marks and waxes.
But for a new van, i would recommend any sealer polish with ptfe

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If its a new van it shouldn't need polished.... therfore give it a wash with a good shampoo ...autoglym bodywork conditioner is good and then give it a good coat of wax ....for a longlasting easy on off wax use farecla liquid perfection.....you can then also add an extra gloss to that if desired .... again autoglym does a product called extra gloss for this purpose.

If its an older van and metal body then id reccomend autoglym super resin polish
If its grp then Maguire's do a good grp restorer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
I know on my previous two vans which were rapidos it specifically said in the owners book not to use silicone based wax or polish, otherwise it would degrade the gelcoat, i don't know how true that is but that's what it said, prob best to check first.
people seem to rate collinite 476 wax highly.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I know on my previous two vans which were rapidos it specifically said in the owners book not to use silicone based wax or polish, otherwise it would degrade the gelcoat, i don't know how true that is but that's what it said, prob best to check first.
It still does!

OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Update been and bought some Auto glyn body shampoo and some G3 pro wax until I can get some Colonite also some spray on wet n shine wax for the roof as I don't want to climb on to it . Where do I find Colonite wax have looked in Halford's but assistant has never heard of it .

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Update been and bought some Auto glyn body shampoo and some G3 pro wax until I can get some Colonite also some spray on wet n shine wax for the roof as I don't want to climb on to it . Where do I find Colonite wax have looked in Halford's but assistant has never heard of it .
Ebay.

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
I haven't used it, but seems to get good reviews, or perhaps not, i have a full can of 40 year old at least turtle wax, not dried out or anything, maybe some full fat wax with nothing taken out will do the trick

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I tried colonite thought it was rubbish.
I agree its crap ....

The trade use farecla g3 wax ..... nice and easy and long lasting

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
If your van is not new, consider using clay. On a warm day to keep it a little softer. I tried it a while back and the Autoglym Super Resin applied afterwards did seem to last quite a lot longer. The clay is much easier to use than I expected, it just means going over the van twice. What the heck, I have the time.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I tried it too...no better than any old polish you find on a shelf in your garage thats been there for decades.
I think because one person on here claimed he was an expert lots of peoole followed on .

I worked as a car valeter ...we never used the stuff.

I wax my van twice a year thats it and its in a conditions

But still shiny 😁

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If your van is not new, consider using clay. On a warm day to keep it a little softer. I tried it a while back and the Autoglym Super Resin applied afterwards did seem to last quite a lot longer. The clay is much easier to use than I expected, it just means going over the van twice. What the heck, I have the time.
What did you use after the srp? You need a wax after the polish 👍

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I think because one person on here claimed he was an expert lots of peoole followed on .

I worked as a car valeter ...we never used the stuff.

I wax my van twice a year thats it and its in a conditions

But still shiny 😁
Your van is aaaaaaaalwaaaaays shiny!!!!!!! [ have I mentioned that before] :rofl:

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Not sure what happened to Charley but we shared a love of vehicle detailing, sad isn't it.

In a nutshell if your van is a bit dull then use a light cutting compound or polish with abrasion in it to restore the shine.
If it is already gleaming use a wax or sealer to keep it that way, not 'polish'. Carnauba is what you are looking for in a good wax.
When you wash it never use a degreaser or washing up liquid as you will take the wax straight back off.
No wax or sealant will last forever, sealant tends to last longer than wax, even the best waxes are shot after a year and some in a few months.

I don't like Colinite, Charley swore by it, it is though rated as one of the longest lasting waxes and an excellent product. I prefer Autoglym or Meguiars which I find easier to use but it is a personal thing.

Lots of these instant wash whack this on cheap products you can get will make the van immediately glossier, the results can impress immediately, they will not last five minutes though and give no protection whatever, some can even damage GRP so I would avoid them, just a personal thing.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Your van is aaaaaaaalwaaaaays shiny!!!!!!! [ have I mentioned that before] :rofl:
Big difference to how it was when i bought it 😁
Screenshot_20200820-224223_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
It seems that I bought the right one farcela g3 pro but a lot of people on here seem to like the stuff, so whats the best one in your humble opinion.

OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Lots of these instant wash whack this on cheap products you can get will make the van immediately glossier, the results can impress immediately, they will not last five minutes though and give no protection whatever, some can even damage GRP so I would avoid them, just a personal thing.
So I have just bought some Turtle spray on wet wax for the roof as said before don't want to climb on it, so would it be OK to use that instead of farcela g3 .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It seems that I bought the right one farcela g3 pro but a lot of people on here seem to like the stuff, so whats the best one in your humble opinion.
My opinion

That's one of the best tried and tested. Bodyshops use it , car dealerships use it . Ive used it for years. My van is 16 years old and the water runs off it

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Another vote for Autoglym using <Broken link removed> ( mine is Bauker )
Then a waxing using the polisher again.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Do you really want to wax your own van, give tourshine a call and get them booked to visit you they will prep and coat your van with a coating that is guaranteed for 5 years, so all you need to do when it get dirty is rinse it down with water and Autoglym shampoo occasionall, no polishing.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Colinite 476, used for 5-6 years now. Do the van twice a year by hand. Takes my wife and I 3 mornings. Then double coat on front and rear caps and below the waistline. Put it on a panel, then another, then polish off first panel, polish on third panel, then polish off second and so on. Don't leave on for 30 mins as advised. Don't polish in the sun or when its very hot. Previously used Autoglym Super Resin, too dusty when polishing off.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Very true need to keep anything with silicon in it well away GRP & Gel coat.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
We use Colinite 476 wax - never had to use polish yet on the van but if I did I'd use Meer. These pix are a before and after took earlier this week. It took two of us around 45mins to do the van. I go first applying using a foam pad, and Mrs B follows on behind polishing off using a foam taker offer pad and micro fibre cloth. Depending on how warm the panel is she polishes off quickly or let's it sit a bit longer (you kind of feel how much it drags the pad to know when). Using colinite we only need to do it once a year.
20210315_130540.jpg
FB_IMG_1616185659656.jpg

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
We use Colinite 476 wax - never had to use polish yet on the van but if I did I'd use Meer. These pix are a before and after took earlier this week. It took two of us around 45mins to do the van. I go first applying using a foam pad, and Mrs B follows on behind polishing off using a foam taker offer pad and micro fibre cloth. Depending on how warm the panel is she polishes off quickly or let's it sit a bit longer (you kind of feel how much it drags the pad to know when). Using colinite we only need to do it once a year. View attachment 474996View attachment 474997
Nice job but you over polished the trees behind also. Any pics before image manipulation 👍😷

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back