Plymouth to Santander Ferry - is EHU available for Fridge/Freezer ? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
O
They didn't even check that with us. All customs wanted to know about was pets, no pets = on our way. I really think the sandwich thing was a media stunt.
It was,Apparently the driver in question was a regular and knew the Dutch customs..It was done as a joke.BUSBY.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thought 12 volt only worked when ignition is on. The 12 volt supply is from the vehicle battery not the leisure..BUSBY.
Every van we have had if you select 12v manually it runs from the hab battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Every van we have had if you select 12v manually it runs from the hab battery.

Strange! I've never seen a 3 way fridge that wasn't wired for the 12V element (not the control electronics/light etc) to only operate with the engine running (or at least the ignition on) and presumably directly wired to the cab side (I guess it could be to the hab side, but the split charge relay would be connected, so a bit of a moot point). I've never had a fancy AES fridge, though. I guess they surmise that if you switch manually you know what you're doing.

In any case, I would not want to use 12V on a 3 way fridge from the hab battery. The elements are typically 8A. They would use more than you'd it want to from a typical standard 110A leisure battery in about 8 hours. Even if it was thermostatically controlled (sometimes no thermostat for 12V), you'd have a flat battery when you got to Spain.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Strange! I've never seen a 3 way fridge that wasn't wired for the 12V element (not the control electronics/light etc) to only operate with the engine running (or at least the ignition on) and presumably directly wired to the cab side (I guess it could be to the hab side, but the split charge relay would be connected, so a bit of a moot point). I've never had a fancy AES fridge, though. I guess they surmise that if you switch manually you know what you're doing.

In any case, I would not want to use 12V on a 3 way fridge from the hab battery. The elements are typically 8A. They would use more than you'd it want to from a typical standard 110A leisure battery in about 8 hours. Even if it was thermostatically controlled (sometimes no thermostat for 12V), you'd have a flat battery when you got to Spain.
Fairly standard on German van's, if it doesn't work off the hab battery how you going to run it on 12v when you have plenty of solar.
When my batteries are charged and there is plenty of solar output, my regulator sends a signal to the fridge telling it to switch to 12v.

Deleted User
Fairly standard on German van's, if it doesn't work off the hab battery how you going to run it on 12v when you have plenty of solar.
When my batteries are charged and there is plenty of solar output, my regulator sends a signal to the fridge telling it to switch to 12v.
Not standard on our Globecar, no soIar, only works on 12v when the engine is running.
I have no idea which battery is used doesn't matter when the engine is running and both being charged.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Would that work on a ferry? My Votronic relies on elevated battery voltage ( asfaik)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Interesting replies. We did the same re frozen milk etc to keep cold on the NSF overnight route Hull to Zeebrugge & the fridge was always ok after 17 hours off. New van will have a compressor fridge so that should be even better reading some of the replies.
Re the food I understood it that only meat & dairy were not allowed so if you had marked & intact provable frozen vegan foods or salads, vegetables & the like these were all okay. Some seem to be suggesting otherwise on here. Anyone done it & know for certain what the border staff are saying upon arrival would be helpful.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
4 weeks ago, not checked at Plymouth or Santander, flew back from Spain a week ago with a whole Chorizo in my hand luggage - scanned at Palma airport and East Midlands - not asked to open case either time :giggle:

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Fridge will only run on battery when the engine is running. No ehu available on the Pont Aven.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
My fridge works without engine running, no 12v switched on and no EHU.

From the user manual the compressor fridge on my van is powered via the leisure batteries without the need for the 12v system to be switched on.

When the van is running vehicle and leisure get charged.

EHU charges the leisure side with a float charge for the vehicle battery.

Our 130w solar system is set 70% leisure / 30% vehicle.

Hopefully that’s all charging bases covered. (y)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
My fridge works without engine running, no 12v switched on and no EHU.

From the user manual the compressor fridge on my van is powered via the leisure batteries without the need for the 12v system to be switched on.

When the van is running vehicle and leisure get charged.

EHU charges the leisure side with a float charge for the vehicle battery.

Our 130w solar system is set 70% leisure / 30% vehicle.

Hopefully that’s all charging bases covered. (y)

Now all you need to explain is how the solar will work underneath the vehicle deck on the ferry.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Now all you need to explain is how the solar will work underneath the vehicle deck on the ferry.
I use a big torch running off the hab batteries. 😁

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
not happening ..... most ferries are running almost empty...... and the crew still want you to park inches away from the vehicle in front...:doh:
Never worked out why they do that, you would think they would want to distribute the load.
I believe it is so that if a vehicle breaks loose then the distance & momentum it can generate is restricted so as to reduce overall damage and keep ship’s stability as best it can

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Night time (power saving mode) setting on the fridge, 2 x 110 batteries fully charged by the journey to the ferry…..think they’ll last 20 hours. (y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
What was I thinking?
Although Spanish shops sell exactly the beers that I like, but yes, a risky strategy in case it goes pear shaped!,
Thanks for the sobering hint!
Based on experience sadly.

Take lots of beer (y)

Sep 22, 2020
Beaumont-cum-Moze
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford
Exp
A class American RVs and C class over 50 years
We are booked on the Plymouth to Santander ferry ( Brittany ferries Pont Aven ship ) and wondered if anyone knows whether there is mains hook-up available or can you run the fridge freezer on gas during the crossing to keep it cold during the 20+ hrs crossing ?
I have done Portsmouth to Spain on various ferries with American Rvs and have always left my fridge working on gas and never been asked to turn them off.

Jul 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Burford
Exp
since 2016
We've done that crossing many times. Never had a problem with defrosting. In the summer we might put some freezer blocks in the fridge to help.

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
I have done Portsmouth to Spain on various ferries with American Rvs and have always left my fridge working on gas and never been asked to turn them off.
Brittany Ferries web site states..

We carry both Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) and Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) vehicles on board all our vessels providing the vehicle is a recognised manufactured model with standard specification. The gas cylinder MUST be switched off prior to embarkation

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Never had a fridge issue using the Spanish ferries even in the days of Pride of Bilbao which did the route at a snails pace. Loads of European supermarkets out there without height barriers too.

Nothing to worry about.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back