Sep 15, 2020
Belgium
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2015
So, as briefly as I can...

First of all, we live in Belgium, although originally from the UK. We do not currently own a motorhome, renting when need be at the moment.

I figured we should start planning now (it may even put us off the idea!!... but I doubt it). As an ex IT project manager, I plan.... and plan....

When we retire in March 2022, the plan is to sell our house in Belgium and move to France. To find our ideal home and location, we plan to buy a motorhome and live in it full time (6 months? A year?). If we take on a renovation project, this period will extend. The fact we are doing this in France doesn't really change any of the fundamental questions.

Having read some of the threads, there is a lot of useful information. We can already answer some of the common questions:
  • We will sell the house
  • We will get rid of some possessions, but the majority will go into storage. We appreciate this will cost, but it's our preference as there are quite a lot of memories we want to take to our new place. I have a cousin in France who has loads of space in a building attached to his house, but am worried about damp issues (it's like a gigantic garage), so I'll have to think about that as an option
  • The finances will be in place
  • I will not go for a C1 licence. The reason being that although I will do all the driving (my wife is not comfortable driving anything larger than our Qashqai). However, if an emergency arose, I need her to be able to drive it.

So, big unanswered questions:
  • Buy new or second hand?
  • Type of motorhome (PVC/Coachbuilt)?
  • Which motorhome models have the best payload? (important as I am an ex-rugby prop forward and weigh in at 120kgs - although am on a mission to get down to 100 - my wife is about 55-60kgs)
  • Take bikes or not?
  • Oven and/or microwave?
  • Solar panels - What power? Flexible, semi-flexible, rigid?
  • Leisure batteries - how many?
  • Post - use a relative's address or some sort of PO Box?
  • We will probably re-register the vehicle in France using a relative's address. This also goes for insurance.
  • Or do we simply purchase the vehicle in France?
  • Major pitfalls to avoid when full-timing?
There are probably 1001 more questions to come. :LOL:
Any advice is greatly welcome.

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
MarcelJGB

MarcelJGB

Free Member
Sep 15, 2020
Belgium
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2015
Another question, I have seen models that have a fixed double bed at the rear and a pull-down bed to the front, which for us would be unnecessary - I would guess it all weighs a fair bit. I would rather extra storage space.

Is it feasible to either remove the pull-down bed or have a new one delivered without it?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Some A class motorhomes can be specā€™ed without drop down bed but if you get one with unwanted drop down bed you could remove and store the mattress and use the space for storage because you would lose the weight of said mattress

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MarcelJGB

MarcelJGB

Free Member
Sep 15, 2020
Belgium
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, I guess that's one thing I could do. Just thought the lowering/raising mechanism would be heavy.

Anyway, we may not even get one with that option.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Another question, I have seen models that have a fixed double bed at the rear and a pull-down bed to the front, which for us would be unnecessary - I would guess it all weighs a fair bit. I would rather extra storage space.

Is it feasible to either remove the pull-down bed or have a new one delivered without it?
Our dethleffs pulse is fixed island bed and no drop down. Pretty good payload of 590. Been living in it since March. I would never consider living in a pvc! Bought new because we wanted to really love it and have all requirements forfilled if spending so much time in it.

OP
OP
MarcelJGB

MarcelJGB

Free Member
Sep 15, 2020
Belgium
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2015
Our dethleffs pulse is fixed island bed and no drop down. Pretty good payload of 590. Been living in it since March. I would never consider living in a pvc! Bought new because we wanted to really love it and have all requirements forfilled if spending so much time in it.
Thanks. Sounds ideal

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Fulltiming in a sub 3500 van for a couple whilst possible, will be challenging and need a lot of compromises. If thatā€™s not negotiable, think Payload payload payloadšŸ˜³. Second essential is a fixed bed.

Onche youā€™ve sorted that, have as much solar as you can get along with decent batteries ( 2 minimum) to give you more freedom from sites and hook up.

A used van is more likely to have this already.

Then, forget France, and go to Spain or Portugal! Way cheaper and better weatheršŸ˜ŽšŸ˜˜

.....been FT since 2011 so know a thing or twošŸ˜‰

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I agree with Brewery Dave that under 3500 will be difficult for full/long-term, considering you will be carrying everything for both summer and winter seasons, even in shoulder months.

You could buy a MH with a body that can be rated at 3500kg but is upratable to 4000kg. It will still have same dimensions and drive the same. Uprate it - but don't tell the wife :LOL: Anyway sounds as though she is not going to drive it, so her opinion on size can be discounted, can't it?

As far as removing the overcab bed, they are heavy and when removed alters the ratio between the front and rear axle loadings which could cause problems. The weight could be partially substituted in the cupboards installed, but not all as one should not put so much weight in high-level cupboards.

Answering some of your other questions:-

Secondhand is better value.
PVC will probably be too small. Coachbuilt is better, but also 'A' Class has same dimensions except for narrower cab, but has more space.
Re-registering in France is bureaucratically time consuming, so buy there if possible.
Batteries - two minimum
Take bikes if poss, but at under 3500 would eat into high % of payload.
Oven uses gas, so can be used off-grid. A microwave only with EHU - forget powering it with an inverter, too much drain on batteries.

As well as solar, consider a Battery-to-battery charger which gives v. good charging on the move. Solar is limited to sun and season.

Re-fillable gas, either bottle or under-slung tank is most flexible for refill and cheaper, after installation.

Keep the questions coming.

Geoff

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
So, as briefly as I can...

First of all, we live in Belgium, although originally from the UK. We do not currently own a motorhome, renting when need be at the moment.

I figured we should start planning now (it may even put us off the idea!!... but I doubt it). As an ex IT project manager, I plan.... and plan....

When we retire in March 2022, the plan is to sell our house in Belgium and move to France. To find our ideal home and location, we plan to buy a motorhome and live in it full time (6 months? A year?). If we take on a renovation project, this period will extend. The fact we are doing this in France doesn't really change any of the fundamental questions.

Having read some of the threads, there is a lot of useful information. We can already answer some of the common questions:
  • We will sell the house
  • We will get rid of some possessions, but the majority will go into storage. We appreciate this will cost, but it's our preference as there are quite a lot of memories we want to take to our new place. I have a cousin in France who has loads of space in a building attached to his house, but am worried about damp issues (it's like a gigantic garage), so I'll have to think about that as an option
  • The finances will be in place
  • I will not go for a C1 licence. The reason being that although I will do all the driving (my wife is not comfortable driving anything larger than our Qashqai). However, if an emergency arose, I need her to be able to drive it.

So, big unanswered questions:
  • Buy new or second hand?
  • Type of motorhome (PVC/Coachbuilt)?
  • Which motorhome models have the best payload? (important as I am an ex-rugby prop forward and weigh in at 120kgs - although am on a mission to get down to 100 - my wife is about 55-60kgs)
  • Take bikes or not?
  • Oven and/or microwave?
  • Solar panels - What power? Flexible, semi-flexible, rigid?
  • Leisure batteries - how many?
  • Post - use a relative's address or some sort of PO Box?
  • We will probably re-register the vehicle in France using a relative's address. This also goes for insurance.
  • Or do we simply purchase the vehicle in France?
  • Major pitfalls to avoid when full-timing?
There are probably 1001 more questions to come. :LOL:
Any advice is greatly welcome.

Thanks in advance
You may or may not have come across this couple who are full timers and have blogged for a few years and have an Adria PVC, if you have not seen them you may find it an interesting blog

OP
OP
MarcelJGB

MarcelJGB

Free Member
Sep 15, 2020
Belgium
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2015
Fulltiming in a sub 3500 van for a couple whilst possible, will be challenging and need a lot of compromises. If thatā€™s not negotiable, think Payload payload payloadšŸ˜³. Second essential is a fixed bed.

Onche youā€™ve sorted that, have as much solar as you can get along with decent batteries ( 2 minimum) to give you more freedom from sites and hook up.

A used van is more likely to have this already.

Then, forget France, and go to Spain or Portugal! Way cheaper and better weatheršŸ˜ŽšŸ˜˜

.....been FT since 2011 so know a thing or twošŸ˜‰
France it will be. We are both fluent in French and it is where we want to settle. The full-timing is all about finding that place. I suppose it's not really full-time if you know you will stop one day, mind!

OP
OP
MarcelJGB

MarcelJGB

Free Member
Sep 15, 2020
Belgium
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2015
I agree with Brewery Dave that under 3500 will be difficult for full/long-term, considering you will be carrying everything for both summer and winter seasons, even in shoulder months.

You could buy a MH with a body that can be rated at 3500kg but is upratable to 4000kg. It will still have same dimensions and drive the same. Uprate it - but don't tell the wife :LOL: Anyway sounds as though she is not going to drive it, so her opinion on size can be discounted, can't it?

As far as removing the overcab bed, they are heavy and when removed alters the ratio between the front and rear axle loadings which could cause problems. The weight could be partially substituted in the cupboards installed, but not all as one should not put so much weight in high-level cupboards.

Answering some of your other questions:-

Secondhand is better value.
PVC will probably be too small. Coachbuilt is better, but also 'A' Class has same dimensions except for narrower cab, but has more space.
Re-registering in France is bureaucratically time consuming, so buy there if possible.
Batteries - two minimum
Take bikes if poss, but at under 3500 would eat into high % of payload.
Oven uses gas, so can be used off-grid. A microwave only with EHU - forget powering it with an inverter, too much drain on batteries.

As well as solar, consider a Battery-to-battery charger which gives v. good charging on the move. Solar is limited to sun and season.

Re-fillable gas, either bottle or under-slung tank is most flexible for refill and cheaper, after installation.

Keep the questions coming.

Geoff
Thanks. I think we will avoid a van with the overhead bed.

As for winter/summer stuff, I'm thinking of storage somewhere where we could go and swap stuff - so keep winter stuff in storage in the summer months and vice versa.

OP
OP
MarcelJGB

MarcelJGB

Free Member
Sep 15, 2020
Belgium
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2015
You may or may not have come across this couple who are full timers and have blogged for a few years and have an Adria PVC, if you have not seen them you may find it an interesting blog
Will have a look, thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back